Server time: 2017-10-20, 14:28
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Kaneki420

Newcomer here with some minor questions about KoS/NLR

Question

Kaneki420    0

So i just joined DayzRp today and after carefully reading through the rules and a lot of threads here, i have still some small things that i would like to know more detailed.

1) KoS:

• Lets say i find myself in the situation where im looting a small town with one or two friends. Now we split and want to met again after everybody searched through his assinged part of the town. After getting back i see my friends on the ground getting robbed by some Bandits. Now whats not clear for me is following: when and how am i allowed to help them? Is it needed for the Bandits to be aware of my presence around and do i (or one of my friends) need to tell them to stop their actions or otherwhise i would shoot or do i share the KoS rigth with my friends who are getting holded hostile, and could just open fire on them without revealing my presence first?(Im aware of what baiting would be, so i want to make sure again that we would only have been searching for food and had no intentions in getting in any kind of confrontation.)

• From wich point on does an action count as initation wich would give me the KoS rigths, what i mean is, if someone tells me to drop my gun and get on the ground, would that already be enough, or if they want to cuff me, am i allowed to defend my "right of freedom" or do i need to wait untill they actualy take something away from me. In other words if they just hold me up for some minutes, do i have the KoS right or not?

• How do the KoS rigths work for Groupes, lets say theres a groupe of 6, 4 guys are in a hostile situation where they gave the KoS rigth to their hostage because of the initation on him. Now the other two of this groupes are just looting the houses nearby, but never take action in the hostile situation itself, even though they obliviously are a part of the groupe. Does the hostage have KoS of all 6 of them or only for the 4 who activly robbed him?

2) NLR:

• I understand that if i died im lose all the memory about my past life, and im not allowed to use the knowleadge from before, and i cant go back in a 1Km range of my body. What im curios about is, am i allowed to met the same groupe i was in before i died, and wich ways to meet them are allowed, or not allowed? (Using TS to know where they went or just playing in the same direction they were heading before i died) As far as i interpreted this rule im allowed to meet them again, but im not allowed to just spam and run there as newspawn. Would mean i can play towards my old groupes destination goal, but i have to get there playing(Looting stuff and play like normal, just with a certain destination im heading to in the long run)

3) The last one is about using Skype/TS with other players. I didnt saw any rule about this, even thought i looked for it everywhere. I would assume its okay as long as you dont break the no metagame rule, and still activly take part in the RP as long as others are with or arround you.

A big thank you for anyone who's going to take his time reading through this and helping me out.

Kaneki420

9 answers to this question

Volke    131

Well I'll try to answer your questions :P

For Kosing

You may only share KoS rights when you meet both of the following conditions:

You are within 500 meters of the hostile situation at that time

You were recently apart of the involved parties group.

• Lets say i find myself in the situation where im looting a small town with one or two friends. Now we split and want to met again after everybody searched through his assinged part of the town. After getting back i see my friends on the ground getting robbed by some Bandits. Now whats not clear for me is following: when and how am i allowed to help them? Is it needed for the Bandits to be aware of my presence around and do i (or one of my friends) need to tell them to stop their actions or otherwhise i would shoot or do i share the KoS rigth with my friends who are getting holded hostile, and could just open fire on them without revealing my presence first?(Im aware of what baiting would be, so i want to make sure again that we would only have been searching for food and had no intentions in getting in any kind of confrontation.)

So in your first example, yes you could start firing back at the bandit's arresting your friend if you know the information ICly (this can include radio as well). If your seeing them rob your friend. You could also try to RP out and have your friend scare the robber saying you have friends surrounding him. However if your friend gets his radio taken, and then tells you on TS that is metagaming for example.

• How do the KoS rigths work for Groupes, lets say theres a groupe of 6, 4 guys are in a hostile situation where they gave the KoS rigth to their hostage because of the initation on him. Now the other two of this groupes are just looting the houses nearby, but never take action in the hostile situation itself, even though they obliviously

In your second situation, how would the hostage know the other 2 guys looting houses are in a group? The hostage would possess KOS rights on the ones who had hostile actions against you (so the 4 guys)

And yes, Skype/Ts is alright, there is a DayZRP Ts so there is no problem with as long as like you say, you don't break the metagaming rule, nor does it take precedent over your RP.

• I understand that if i died im lose all the memory about my past life, and im not allowed to use the knowleadge from before, and i cant go back in a 1Km range of my body. What im curios about is, am i allowed to met the same groupe i was in before i died, and wich ways to meet them are allowed, or not allowed? (Using TS to know where they went or just playing in the same direction they were heading before i died) As far as i interpreted this rule im allowed to meet them again, but im not allowed to just spam and run there as newspawn. Would mean i can play towards my old groupes destination goal, but i have to get there playing(Looting stuff and play like normal, just with a certain destination im heading to in the long run)

The NLR rule states When you die you lose memories surrounding the event that led to your death - that means running back to your body or the area after dying is forbidden. However, you keep the knowledge about your group, friends, enemies and other people that you've met before that event.

So in your situation, yes you could meet your friend's and head to the groups destination. Just don't head in to the situation where you had died or head in the next area (so let's say you spawn their, try running out of the town and heading to a smaller settlement)

Also

• From wich point on does an action count as initation wich would give me the KoS rigths, what i mean is, if someone tells me to drop my gun and get on the ground, would that already be enough, or if they want to cuff me, am i allowed to defend my "right of freedom" or do i need to wait untill they actualy take something away from me. In other words if they just hold me up for some minutes, do i have the KoS right or not?

The moment someone initiates a hostile action against you can defend yourself. Just understand by not complying can get you killed

Do you think you have an understanding of how it work or did I confuse you? If you have any questions just ask :P

Edit: Edited for Clarity

Baron    2

1) KoS:

If you or your friend are being held at gunpoint or otherwise, it's your responsibility to initiate on that specific party before taking hostile action, for example;

Bandit 1 holds up Friend 1

You come across Friend 1 and Bandit 1

You initiate on Bandit 1 - If Bandit 1 complies, you either rob him, tell him to leave or take him hostage, depending on what you think is best IC. If Bandit 1 doesn't comply, either kill him or take your friend and run.

To defend your friend, there used to be a case of a 'Good Samaritan' rule, in which you could kill an individual if you were clear that they were the hostile party and if you put the hostages life as the priority. Now though we see the need for people to re-initiate on a hostile party if they're acting against a friendly one. Whether you hold them at gunpoint or otherwise will be down to you. Prioritize roleplay over ruleplay, however.

As soon as you're initiated on, you gain KoS rights for the allotted amount of time, if someone tries to forcefully disarm you, take your goods, shoot you, take you hostage or in any case try to harm you, etc. You have the right to defend yourself as you deem necessary at the time. Again I must stress however that you need to prioritize roleplay over the rules allowance, if you flip the situation and suddenly have him at gunpoint, is there really any reason to kill him?

• How do the KoS rigths work for Groupes, lets say theres a groupe of 6, 4 guys are in a hostile situation where they gave the KoS rigth to their hostage because of the initation on him. Now the other two of this groupes are just looting the houses nearby, but never take action in the hostile situation itself, even though they obliviously are a part of the groupe. Does the hostage have KoS of all 6 of them or only for the 4 who activly robbed him?

With how groups work currently, I believe the situation must dictate that anyone not part of the initial situation must be initiated on separately, currently there are no such thing as [TAGS] that were in the ARMA II based variant of DayZ. What this means is there is no real way to be 'sure' of the fact that someone is indeed part of the group, thus both you and them need to be sure by re-initiating, talking or otherwise, you cannot simply shoot someone who you 'assume' to be a part of the previous group.

TL;DR - The four who were there you have the right to defend against, the extra two you need to make sure that they are indeed who you assume they are.

2) NLR:

You can remember all friendlies from your past life, all encounters of a neutral nature, what you cannot remember are the people, groups and actions that specifically led to your characters final hours, this prevents grudge matches and constant back and forth KoS sprees. Regardless of the group of people you were with, you cannot go back within 1KM of your deathzone, no matter if you want to RP with those people or not, for at least an hour.

If your character in an IC manner wishes to make their way to a certain town, you need to make sure it isn't the town that your previous life died in, otherwise that's a breach of NLR.

3) The last one is about using Skype/TS with other players. I didnt saw any rule about this, even thought i looked for it everywhere. I would assume its okay as long as you dont break the no metagame rule, and still activly take part in the RP as long as others are with or arround you.

You are able to use both Skype and TS whenever you like, there's no rule on this, but prioritize interactions with people in game over just another chat with your friends, keep communications smart if you're in a combat situation and if you die, do not attempt to relay information about your location/assailants. Otherwise how much you limit yourself on those mediums in manner of RP, is up to you.

I hope this helped.

Kaneki420    0

Thanks to you all my questions answered, the only thing thats still open is about that situation with the 6 man groupe, if the hostage survives and then makes up his mindo to trace the 4 mans who robbed him, and then while watching get clear indicators that the other 2 were also part of this groupe (assuming they all leave as 6 after the hostile situation) does he then have KoS on all of them or does he need to wait untill they return fire when he attacks one of the four guys who robbed him. Im sorry i just saw while rereading my first text that this question was unclear.

Anyways i realy appreciate your help :)

Volke    131

1) KoS:

If you or your friend are being held at gunpoint or otherwise, it's your responsibility to initiate on that specific party before taking hostile action, for example;

Bandit 1 holds up Friend 1

You come across Friend 1 and Bandit 1

You initiate on Bandit 1 - If Bandit 1 complies, you either rob him, tell him to leave or take him hostage, depending on what you think is best IC. If Bandit 1 doesn't comply, either kill him or take your friend and run.

To defend your friend, there used to be a case of a 'Good Samaritan' rule, in which you could kill an individual if you were clear that they were the hostile party and if you put the hostages life as the priority. Now though we see the need for people to re-initiate on a hostile party if they're acting against a friendly one. Whether you hold them at gunpoint or otherwise will be down to you. Prioritize roleplay over ruleplay, however.

In this situation, wouldn't he gain KOS rights since he was apart of the party.

I wasn't around for GS but I believed that was if you saw anyone being held up, not a group mate you had to re-initiate. But in this case, he does meet the KOS sharing Reqs I believe does he not? Whether he uses them and prioritizes Ruleplay > Roleplay is onething but doesn't he have the rights to do so?

Thanks to you all my questions answered, the only thing thats still open is about that situation with the 6 man groupe, if the hostage survives and then makes up his mindo to trace the 4 mans who robbed him, and then while watching get clear indicators that the other 2 were also part of this groupe (assuming they all leave as 6 after the hostile situation) does he then have KoS on all of them or does he need to wait untill they return fire when he attacks one of the four guys who robbed him. Im sorry i just saw while rereading my first text that this question was unclear.

Anyways i realy appreciate your help :)

In this situation, you only possess revenge rights for those that initiated hostile actions against you . Only 4/6 players initiated hostile actions against you So you would only have rights for 4 of them.

You can take revenge for a hostile action taken against you for 2 hours from the time hostile action was taken, as long as it does not conflict with the other rules.

Kaneki420    0

Well i think i would anyways be the one trying to rp himself out, because in the end i want to join this server for more interaction with others, i can still have the shoot first ask questions later typ of play on every other server ;)

Volke    131

Of course, at the end of the day make sure RP > Ruleplay. Try to not put yourself in situations which this would happen

Baron    2

In this situation, wouldn't he gain KOS rights since he was apart of the party.

I wasn't around for GS but I believed that was if you saw anyone being held up, not a group mate you had to re-initiate. But in this case, he does meet the KOS sharing Reqs I believe does he not? Whether he uses them and prioritizes Ruleplay > Roleplay is onething but doesn't he have the rights to do so?

It's a very shaky concept at best, without identifiable groups, personally I believe the best thing to do is to re-initiate on the hostile party, lest it be used as leverage in a report later. There is no real way to prove that he was in the 500 meter radius, or if even they were in any sort of tangible group to begin with, initiating on the hostile party in form of retaliation through defense I believe is the best option to prevent confusing situations.

I understand that the rules in black and white prove your point, what I'm saying is that precautions should be taken if the friendly party believes there may be any probability of coincidence or bad form. Despite that, you're right he would have KoS rights according to the rules.

EDIT: I suppose what I'm trying to get across here, it's all about how you pull it off, just cover yourself to prevent large issues cropping up later in your playtime, no body likes reports.

Volke    131

I suppose, :P Rather be safe then sorry right? Better to take precautions rather then risk a report.

IAmJackBandit    77

Well from the looks of it all your questions have been answered, also remember if its anything you are unsure of don't be afraid to hop on teamspeak and ask a staff member:)

/solving