Server time: 2017-10-17, 18:46
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Benoit-Moriu

How does death affect your RP?

So far the biggest immersion breaker for me is death, for instance I was involved in a firefight the other day after one of our own bit the bullet after a attempted robbery. At any rate we wounded but didn't kill the victim. Found out it was a previous member of our group so we all facepalmed at that fuck up.

At any rate we all mourned over alex's death and my character even refused to take anything from a dead man. But not 20 minutes later did we meet up with Alex again all fit and well. So that made all the condolences to alex's brother and my small rp story with the killer of forgiveness mute and void.

So my question is how do you deal with death in the RP? Use the rule that you forget all the events leading up to your death but share that rule with the group you were in and the hostiles too? Or just ignore it as one of those things.

Because either way it seems to cheapen life somehow. I know there's a group that deals in perma death. But unless everybody in the RP does that then this is still a thing to deal with on a day to day basis.

I am by no means at all saying everyone should permadeath as I know all the hard work and story people have put into their characters so the idea of simply loosing all that would be abhorrent to those people. I'm simply wondering how you work death into a believable rp.

(I am at work so if the grammer is choppy I do apologise. Don't have the time to proof read when the managers are about xD )

Hope you are all well.

Kind regards

Benoit-Moriu

Endgame    0

Don't full out mourn a character unless you know that the person playing the character is going perma-death HC, or is ready to perma-death his character from that point.

You can treat it as though he was seriously hurt, and was taken out and away to be medically treated. You are concerned for his well-being as it looked like a really bad wound that COULD be fatal. Then if you find out later that he is indeed going the perma-death route, you can RP getting sad from that moment and do your memorial then...Or if the player decides to not perma-death and shows up, you can RP being relieved he is okay, maybe throw in some playful taunts about him being walking around so soon after such a horrific injury...maybe ask to see his wound, and other fun things like this.

I know we did do a thing where he said he woke up and patched himself up to make It believable to a extent. But the fact was that he was hit in the head by a 7.62-39 round. I checked his pulse and it was gone and my character has basic medical skills so would be able to tell if someone died or not.

It was just really dam hard to rp that he could live after that, I mean if we play it that way it means were all incompetent at checking if our friends are really dead and leaving them behind and my character couldn't possibly leave a man behind. So I'm stuck rp wise with allies deaths really.

Othuyeg    20

A stressful situation can play tricks on your mind and memory.

Volke    131

Look Othuyeg said, people do strange things when there stressed. This could explain some of your actions

A stressful situation can play tricks on your mind and memory.

I like it, any one else have any in game or out of game coping mechanisms or reactions?

Mamba    0

RP rules I live by.

First of all I value my life and my character, I know that gear is more common now due to persistence being off, however I still roleplay it as if everything I find is rare. That makes me more cautious of a character.

Second if I do die my group treats it as I was seriously injured. "Unless I die by glitch in which case it never happened". Keep in mind though that you have to follow nlr and the rules regarding that. 90 minutes before you go back to the area of your death. Remaining within 1 kilometer of the area.

Third Don't treat everyone with hostilities , it's easy to rob people in a large group, however in a large group you don't really need to be hostile. There is strength in numbers and people who approach a large group usually are really just looking for good rp.

I have not died from a firefight in weeks. Our group communicates well and looks out for each other. Not every situation has to turn into a shootout, or a hostage situation. We are not bandits, but are not heros. We pick and choose who we help. Most of all the purpose is RP. If you have a serious issue with somebody in your group dying and respawning as the same character then discuss this with them, ask them to change a name to somebody who has intimate knowledge of your character. For example if my name was Greg Conners, I would change it to Michael Conners. I spoke to Greg several times on radio and filled each other in on our day to day. Upon realizing he hadn't responded I went out to search for him and found his friends, who filled me in on his demise. Your group offers me a place, and we set out searching for Gregs killers.

Lots of ways to roleplay a death. I hope this helped.

Tomeran    3

Hellova tricky problem to handle, really.

Permadeath as a solution isnt really a solution and more of an alternative that can be occassionally interesting, imo. UNPK(im assuming that's the permadeath group the OP mentioned) was created solely as an alt-group with tempoary characters that can end up getting killed under legit circumstances because that can have an interesting effect on RP(and make you treasure your characters life), but permakilling your characters frequently has the unfortunate sideeffect of you not really growing too attached to those characters. Attachment is generally gained through time.

Of course that's a matter of preferance and taste. Im not a huge fan of it as a sort of "rule" or thing that must be done forced upon me, either by myself or someone else, but it can be interesting to explore as an alternative to other characters once in a while.

In a "normal" situation, if I die with my character and im with a group, I tend to simplify it to "he was just severely wounded/knocked out". Depending on the circumstances, that usually works out with limited immersion damage. Of course it gets really annoying in the example you mentioned, where you keep bumping into someone else that doesnt seem to respect the situation and the damage it can do to immersion. If it happens repeatadly in a short time-period, it gets all the more complicated fast.

Mauser GDog    0

He's obviously a ZOMBIE returned from the dead! KILL HIM! :)

I'm going to go check the rules, but this is something I've been thinking about how to handle, especially while gathering video footage to document my characters journey.

I play slowly and carefully, so I hope to live a long life in game. But when the inevitable happens, are we allowed to change our profile and create a new character if we want to?

My first death in the mod was to zombies at the airfield near the Klem trade post. My friends grabbed my gear and took it to TP, while I radioed someone and had them pick me up on the coast and drive me to TP.

In character, we roleplayed that I had been critically injured and that they'd dragged my body to the TP, and I spent the rest of the evening roleplaying that I was badly wounded, limping around, sitting a lot, lying prone in a tent, etc.

There are a lot of ways to work the story to manage death without it having to actually be true death. The rules even state that death can also be played out as being severely incapacitated, as we did with my first in-server death.

Mauser GDog    0

Hmmm, I like it Lucia.

How many times have you died though? I could see it slowly whittling down the immersion if you play with the same group regularly. Of course, there is no perfect fix for this, other than starting a new character each time.

Hmmm, I like it Lucia.

How many times have you died though? I could see it slowly whittling down the immersion if you play with the same group regularly. Of course, there is no perfect fix for this, other than starting a new character each time.

If you die a lot, then that means that, IC, you get your ass kicked a lot but you're really lucky and manage to survive.

I have a personal, non-canon theory that all survivors are asymptomatic carriers of the virus, and unknown to them or anyone else, the virus dramatically increases a person's ability to survive grave wounds. That logically explains, to me anyway, how people can get shot up so often and still be alive. Of course, that's not canon to DayZRP, so I don't use it as an explanation for my character. Fortunately, I don't die that often in-game.

Glenn    10

Death? there is none! there is only the high lord Kalulu Wengu!

Mauser GDog    0

I have a personal, non-canon theory that all survivors are asymptomatic carriers of the virus, and unknown to them or anyone else, the virus dramatically increases a person's ability to survive grave wounds.

Interesting, that's getting into it. ;)

I have yet to die, although I've only played about 4-5 good sessions on the US server so far...and I'm super careful!

Stay safe out there...