Server time: 2017-10-19, 16:31
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Leuku

When is it okay to just turn and run?

Question

Guest Leuku   
Guest Leuku

If the character is being approached by a person or group of people, who are trying to communicate and who are dangerous but have not initiated hostilities, is it okay to break contact and simply flee the situation before it escalates?

Example:

You are alone or with a partner, and you see a group of people with their weapons out (but not pointing at you) coming towards you. They shout at you that they want to talk with you, without issuing demands.

Is it okay to turn and run right then and there, because you fear for your safety? Is this the same as ignoring attempts to role-play? Is it bad RP? Note: It is not a character that shuns people, but one who finds himself in a situation he is not comfortable with.

14 answers to this question

Guest Phalix   
Guest Phalix

When you feel threatened, just run, and hope they don't catch up.

Nicholas    0

You can run but will most likely be viewed as NoRP. Even if you have valid excuse I doubt it would go in your favor should it escalate to a report. Honestly the only thing I can suggest is thinking of excuses to get yourself out of the situation such as "I need to get to my friends, they need the food supplies which i managed to barely scavenge today." and such.

Scooter    51

Well, if you are in something like an open field, yes. Obviously in real life there are no rules. So what would stop them from KoSing you? If you think about it, the only reason you are running is to get out of initiation range, which in turn, in BadRP.

On the other hand, if you are in the woods and can easily get out of sight, that could be RP'd out

Chris    63

I stalk people in game all of the time, if they notice me I will get out of there as quickly as possible, usually using terrain to cut off line of sight and changing my pathing to confuse anyone who is following me. If they get within chat distance or cut me off, then I am caught and need to explain my very suspicious behavior to some angry people with guns :D

But, if you're just running in an open field, in a straight line, 85 meters away from them so they are out of direct chat, then that's kind of taking the piss...

Major    634

I honestly try to do what I would do IRL. If I see a group of people and they don't know I am there, I will watch them and make a determination of whether or not it is safe to approach.

The other day I saw a guy in front of me, about 20 meters, then immediately following that another guy popped up in front of me behind a bush, the third one coming at me from behind a crate to my rear, I told them there was ammo in that -> direction and I was leaving. Remember: Keep people in front of you. If you have one guy, or even two depending on how they act during the robbery, you might can take them. Only dumbasses rob from the front. Keep in mind the NVFL rule.

Fleeing, to some would be bad rp, but also take into the account that you are human and that hanging around in a vulnerable position for no reason makes little rp sense. Most people know where the line is between BadRP and NVFL. The only excuse you need to give is silence as you flee.

Perhaps acting afraid, cautious, suspicious or so on instead of just straight up running would be better?

Running as you described in your OP are more then likely going to lead to being chased and them initiating on you anyway. Or interpreted to avoiding RP.

I've turned and run before, but that was because five heavily-armed men were sprinting across the airfield right towards me. Yeah, I could have stuck around for roleplay, but when I put myself in my character's shoes, their charge seemed very aggressive, and I reasoned that it would have scared her.

I eventually did find a less aggressive method of approaching them for RP, which turned out brief but quite enjoyable.

If you're going to break into a run, at least add some RP to it. Screaming "No! Get away from me! Ahhhh!" before running adds a lot more than simply running away without saying anything.

Basically, it's a judgement call. If you truly feel that your character would avoid contact, that's fine. There are some situations where it actually makes no sense to stand there and wait for contact. However, those situations are usually pretty rare, and since this server does emphasize RP, you might consider modifying your character's personality just enough that they're more likely to want to converse with strangers, if you're not that way already.

forager    0

Wasn't it Bruce Lee who said "the best way to never lose a fight is to run" or something like that?

My character is pretty flighty, the other day at novy talking to a few makers they didn't like my answer when they asked me do I believe etc, "Carlos, can you cuff him please." Was the last thing i heard them say before I ran followed by a few bullets.

Surely that's OK. my only choice at that point is get cuffed, fight or run.

Guest Leuku   
Guest Leuku

It is seriously starting to sound like a no-win situation.

I do feel my particular character would run, and he's definitely confident in his ability to escape. He would definitely agree to talk if certain terms are met, but he knows few people would be likely to agree to any terms when they clearly have the upper hand. So he's right back in square one. Run while he has a realistic chance of getting out alive, or essentially throw himself on their mercy. Which solution shows higher value for life? I can't tell.

Mikachu    26

You are allowed to run if you do not feel safe, but it may lead to them initiating on you.

Sometimes those who may appear hostile are actually friendly, and those who appear friendly are hostile. You never know :)

You are allowed to run away if you don't feel comfortable though yes, just don't make it a common thing.

Do the replies here help Leuku?

Guest Leuku   
Guest Leuku

The replies help, in the sense that they have given me other ways of looking at the problem, but I don't see a definite answer to what I could expect in the event that someone makes a complaint.

Mikachu    26

The replies help, in the sense that they have given me other ways of looking at the problem, but I don't see a definite answer to what I could expect in the event that someone makes a complaint.

Fair enough. :)

I would say that if someone makes a proper complaint and reports you then as long as you explain it well and give a good IC reasoning and such then you should be fine. It only becomes an issue when you run away from everyone and so are actively avoiding RP at all costs. Sometimes you just have to take chances :)

Does that help any better?

Guest Leuku   
Guest Leuku

Yes, that does help. :)

Mikachu    26

Glad to be of assistance :)

/solving

If you need any other help feel free to ask!