Server time: 2017-08-20, 23:19

Sign in to follow this  
DinoB

Cults and cannibal groups.

DinoB    20

Back in the mod, cults and cannibal groups were not allowed. I remember when The Hunters got denied for being a cannibal clan, and other numerous cult like groups also did not get accepted. You were only allowed to play a cannibal as a single person.

Will this change in standalone, or does it stay the same as before?

I am asking this question, since cannibalism is part of game now, will that change anything?

I doubt it would change anything. It's hard as it is to get human meat and with the restriction's placed by the staff it's nearly impossible to get it.

Unless you know kill a friend for it and hold his gear since noone is watching.

Though they could just contract kuru and eat normal food. But honestly if a group was allowed do you think anybody would like it? Most likely everyone who comes across said group will certainly be hostile. Which IMO will just lead to a PVP-based group.

DinoB    20

I doubt it would change anything. It's hard as it is to get human meat and with the restriction's placed by the staff it's nearly impossible to get it.

Unless you know kill a friend for it and hold his gear since noone is watching.

Though they could just contract kuru and eat normal food. But honestly if a group was allowed do you think anybody would like it? Most likely everyone who comes across said group will certainly be hostile. Which IMO will just lead to a PVP-based group.

Well, it doesn't have to only be a cannibal group, what about other cult like clans, some devil worshipers and what not?

The main problem with cannibals as a group is that it doesn't make sense unless the cannibalistic aspect is portrayed as being tribal driven and primitive, with beliefs passed down generations to the effect that consuming the flesh of your enemies grants you their power. Unless completely mentally ill, anthropophagy is something that is very rare and often derived from a compulsion, not something that one just lives their every day life by. There is no sense whatsoever in cannibals gathering together, there is absolutely nothing to gain, cannibals should be paranoid freaks trying to hide their illness, not group with other mentally ill people and show off how cool they are because they eat human flesh.

Vandy    34

-snip-

Completely agreeing here. I have stated it as well, cannibals would actualyl do allot of effort to hide their problem. They wouldn't go opnely saying "hi I am a cannibal, I love eating human meat".

The thing is at the metagaming as well.

People hear someone crying, first thing they say: KILL HIM, ITS A CANNIBAL!

Like, rply, they could be easily crying for loosing a dear friend or family member.

But no, everyone is an expert in the Kuru case...

Another thing. Someone has human flesh in his backpack: KILL HIM, ITS A CANNIBAL!

Like we are all experts on meat structure.... Like we could see the difference between human meat and boar meat...

If you want to portray a cannibal, you better do it well. It's god damn hard to do it.

And you'll have to cope with metagamers constantly.

Tamaster92    14

Cults and cannibals are two different things imo.

I see no problem with cults as long as they follow the lore and are sensible etc

But a group of cannibals is a no-go for me. Makes no sense and would be prone to badRP and reports

Comrade Deg    13

Praise the maker

Zero    279

I don't think anyone is thinking realistically when you say "Cannibals wouldn't group together." Humans are animals in their basic nature, they CAN, and WILL do anything to survive when put in the correct situation, it's just a human instinct to the bare bone. If that means banding together to form an intimidating, large party of people, then that is what they will do. You have a family, or a group of friends, you decide to band together in order to survive the apocalypse, you don't know how, or when it began to happen, you just one day accidentally killed someone, your stomach is in pain, your skin is slowly becoming just bone.

We could even cite history for that matter, the beginning of America in fact. "The Donner Party (sometimes called the Donner-Reed Party) was a group of American pioneer migrants who set out for California in a wagon train. Delayed by a series of mishaps, they spent the winter of 1846–47 snowbound in the Sierra Nevadas. Some of the migrants resorted to cannibalism to survive, eating those who had succumbed to starvation and sickness."

What people don't realize is that food diminishes VERY quickly. Years back, when tornado's completely wiped the power grid in Alabama, we were out of power for weeks, if not months, with little water, all of our food was rendered inedible because we use freezers and other forms to keep food fresh. Despite having a pantry of canned goods, it was quickly eaten. If not for relief efforts bringing in thousands of pounds of food and distributing it, people would have probably ended up hurting each other just to feed themselves or their families.

Food was taken from the supermarkets and emptied in the matter of days, if not hours. Canned goods? Gone. Cereals and other things of that sort? Gone. Bottled water? Gone. The fact is, food would not be plentiful in Chernarus, the only guaranteed way of food would be vegetable and fruit farms, and even that would only last for a time.

People underestimate how quickly food actually depletes, I've witnessed it first hand. And this was only from a natural disaster, could you even imagine if an infection like this actually spread? If a man is brought to desperation, do you think he is going to sit and watch his family slowly, painfully die from starvation? Or would he kill for survival, be it even a human being?

It makes perfect sense for that to be a cannibal group or two, the only problem is, it is, and will be prone for bad role-play seeing as they would literally have to kill in order to play their role, which in itself is a no-go.

A scene from the the movie 'The Road', an adapted film from the novel bearing the same name. The un-named father, with his son, happen across a very large group of bandit cannibals.

A scene from the the movie 'The Road', an adapted film from the novel bearing the same name. The un-named father and son happen across a large house, they believe there may be food or supplies in the house, unbeknownst to them, a group of cannibals has moved in, and they return shortly after they discover what acts are happening within the house's walls.

Rick    19

I personally see no logistical reason for cannibal groups to exist. Not only this, however being a cannibal in the correct regard is very hard to successful RP, and I do not think allowing this in a group setting will end well.

Cult RP is another topic, one which I have no problem with pending it isn't used in a trollish manner.

Foxxycurr    0

Cults could be very fun, and enjoyable for people in the group or who run across the group, granted it's done correctly. It gives a very good change of pace (again, if done correctly) to the usual groups and people you run into.

Guest Neszy   
Guest Neszy

Cults? Sure, if not overused.

Cannibals? Sure, if not overused.

Cannibal Cults? Absolutely not.

I find it very natural that in times of great need, faith will be found and possibly even leveraged by those clever enough to do so. People hold onto many things in a crisis... their family, friends, faith - this is all important. Just so long as we don't get wacky

-esque suicide cults popping up, I think it makes a lot of sense to grapple onto strong faith. Facing the apocalypse is too much for some people alone.

Cannibals can be great but cannibal-RP is very difficult to get right. As for groups of cannibals running around eating people... this shouldn't be a thing. There is plenty of food, I don't believe anyone would actively choose to be a cannibal. Perhaps if they were locked inside a building by the infection outside and were forced to eat human to survive... that could work? Maybe even a few people could run around as cannibals together in that case but that characteristic shouldn't define them. It should be a guilty pleasure where the cannibal perhaps likes the rush of doing something so taboo.

We had the Marauders once in the mod, they were a cannibal group and look how that turned out.

*shudders*

Bugeye    0

I can't say how many times I've been to Green Mountain and the threat of a group of cannibals approaching has come up. At first it confused me as I thought it wasn't allowed, however everyone else on the mountain seemed to play along without issue. In my opinion, it doesn't make sense....its not something that wouldn't happen IRL and I really think it would be hard pressed to happen (at least groups of cannibals) in a post apocalyptic setting either.

Cults on the other hand could be interesting to deal with as it is more plausible in this setting...if done well and consistent with the character's RP and the SA lore.

Tegran7    0

I've caught wind of a man who calls himself 'the maker', from a ex spec ops guy called Tom Smith. Apparently his group reside down in novy sobor.

What do you think... Should i check him out?