Server time: 2017-08-22, 22:31

Sign in to follow this  

The borderline of bad RP?

Question

Just a simple question, how far does one have to go so that it would be considered bad RP enough to file a report?

I've met these but one particular individual comes to mind and is really starting to get annoying whenever that individual is around. To me this person has nothing to offer when it comes to RP and seems to have no character at all.

The only times this person is speaking you can only hear phrases such as:

- 10 times within 5 minutes "Anyone want to trade [item] for [item]?" Nothing wrong with getting the perfect super-SEAL camouflage set that you desire but there has to be a line

- "The [gun] Is the best gun in the game"

- "You got the headpiece so should get yourself the full ghillie. The halfghillie looks bad. Definitely get the full ghillie."

I don't want to name any names yet as I'm just asking a question is it valid to report this kind of behaviour. I'm not alone with this since couple of my associates have also become very irritated by this.

14 answers to this question

Volke    132

Well did you try RPing with them? What were the responses

Yeah I have noticed the influx of people who will run across an entire field to ask if you have a suppressor to trade to them. Is it annoying? Yeah, but I'm not so sure this is worthy of a report. The people who dont take roleplay seriously and only contribute in the ways you listed surely won't be around forever. RP is what you make of it, and if you aren't actively trying to get a new experience out of it every day it gets stale fast. The influx of new players just needs to calm down for a bit and these type of people will either get on board or get bored.

Volke    132

If you attempt to RP with them , it can be a reportable offence as in the rules:

Like say you attempt to rp with them and they don't bother replying or making contact with you or ignore you or some such

What NOT to do

Ignore attempts to role-play

Focus on out of character gains to the detriment of RP.

Well Skeetsi if you feel a rule is broken you have every right to make a report discussion. That way the accused can see it and see what he is doing wrong and maybe try to improve. Also if said person is constantly going OOC for unneccessary reasons, then by all means make the report, just because you make one doesn't mean you are trying to get someone banned but you just want them to see there errors...

The trading thing can get a bit annoying, but I don't see it as bad RP unless he's using silly voices or otherwise acting irritating.

The "best gun in game" comment is absolutely bad RP, though, and metagaming. What "game" is he talking about?

The ghillie comments are also annoying, and I'd say they're borderline trolling if he does it constantly, but critiquing someone's manner of dress or the effectiveness of their camo isn't bad. Heck, I've seen the guys at the paintball field do that in real life, so I know it's a thing in some circles.

Well did you try RPing with them? What were the responses

Oh yes. It's fun to get more people involved in the conversations, lets say around a campfire, so for example just asking plain questions to get some sort of RP out of the situation makes it better. But it's mind numbing and exhausting when the only responses are yes or no and you have to give everything you got to squeeze just something out of that kind of person. The next thing you hear "Anyone trade this for this?" and so on. The lines I gave as an example are just few among many others like them.

Among some people I play with this person has already reached the known "Guess who's here?", "Oh geez. What's he trading this time?"

I know people get better with time RP. I know I have, a lot since when I started and in a relatively short period of time. Some catch up faster, others need a bit more time. So I would give this person some more time and a chance to prove that he has what it takes to RP.

Among some people I play with this person has already reached the known "Guess who's here?", "Oh geez. What's he trading this time?"

See, that's not necessarily a bad thing in my opinion. Okay, so he's annoying. Is that more annoying IC or OOC? Annoying IC is fine, even welcome possibly. Everyone knows that annoying guy that comes around and makes everyone roll their eyes.

Remember Falafel from Hercules: The Legendary Journeys? He was a merchant that sort of bent the fourth wall by "inventing" modern foods that people hated. Every time he'd show up, the protagonists would be annoyed because he was always selling some new stupid gimmick. That sort of character, if played properly, can add some comic relief to the roleplay without becoming overly irritating or annoying.

See, that's not necessarily a bad thing in my opinion. Okay, so he's annoying. Is that more annoying IC or OOC? Annoying IC is fine, even welcome possibly. Everyone knows that annoying guy that comes around and makes everyone roll their eyes.

Remember Falafel from Hercules: The Legendary Journeys? He was a merchant that sort of bent the fourth wall by "inventing" modern foods that people hated. Every time he'd show up, the protagonists would be annoyed because he was always selling some new stupid gimmick. That sort of character, if played properly, can add some comic relief to the roleplay without becoming overly irritating or annoying.

It does not appear in this situation, "Guess who's here" is a good thing. It seems to be horrible RP and quite annoying. I can not say for certain because I have not met this person. However, he/she seems to care only about gearRP and not qualityRP.

It does not appear in this situation, "Guess who's here" is a good thing. It seems to be horrible RP and quite annoying. I can not say for certain because I have not met this person. However, he/she seems to care only about gearRP and not qualityRP.

Here I have to agree with Whiskey. While it's nice that you can recognize some people from something unique they have. For example the way of speaking, their striking outfit or just the way they act. Even if it's something annoying. But when the person is recognizable for being a horrible RP player it can't be good.

That cute story of Falafel however is not relevant at all with this one I'm afraid.

I have to admit I've seen a report this person has made when KoSd. After reading through it seemed like he was blatantly KoSd for being annoying. Though the deed was not okay to do and the killer is to be punished, others too are reacting to this person, the way I was afraid of.

Baron    2

- 10 times within 5 minutes "Anyone want to trade [item] for [item]?" Nothing wrong with getting the perfect super-SEAL camouflage set that you desire but there has to be a line

In this case I wouldn't consider it a breach of rules, but annoying certainly, in this situation it can completely be handled in an IC manner, by either telling the character in question to "Shut up." or otherwise; how you deal with the situation will dictate the future behavior of that individual, doing nothing will just allow him to continue.

This however is a clear breach of the fourth wall, also known as bad RP, whether it was merely a slip of the tongue or something he entirely meant to say was unclear in your post, but from a stock point of view this' something that if gone unchecked could be warranted for a report discussion if the issue continues.

- "You got the headpiece so should get yourself the full ghillie. The halfghillie looks bad. Definitely get the full ghillie."

This' not something I consider wrong at all, it seems a little odd in text format if it is indeed a direct quote, but commenting on the fact that someone is wearing just bush camouflage on their head is nothing bad, I'd probably comment on that myself IG, depending on the character I was using.

I don't want to name any names yet as I'm just asking a question is it valid to report this kind of behaviour. I'm not alone with this since couple of my associates have also become very irritated by this.

It is entirely valid in certain cases, some of these aren't valid though, merely people who are a little new to the terms of RP, or live RP in general. The second of your examples is a reportable offence however, something that you can clearly count as bad RP, but instead of reporting the party immediately, correct them in a IC manner; if they continue, seek to report it after gathering evidence of the act.

Cid    333

Baron's post really narrows it down. Though some of those reply's may annoy you, not all of them are bad RP. Where he is talking about the "best gun in the game" is certainly something to be questioned and would probably be classified as bad RP, despite how minor the actual offence is.

As Jack said, if you feel that a rule may have been broken there is no harm in making a report discussion. You would be able to get the opinion of other players as well as the PoV of the accused. Don't be turned away from making a report discussion; it is just a discussion after all.

Do you feel like your question has been answered?

All in all, yes. I feel that I've received some satisfying answers. Cheers for that.

Still would mention that those were merely examples of what I heard and could remember from the top of my head. I heard many other metagaming/bad RP comments that made me grunt internally quite a few times more. As I said if I ever meet this person again I will keep an eye.. ear on him and would still give a chance to prove that this one actually can do RP.

If the old ways continue then sooner or later I or someone else will make the report discussion. If one does though, it shouldn't be made in the means of getting rid of this person but as a reminder of what the game is about.

Go ahead and mark as solved.

Cid    333

Glad we could help man! If you have any more questions regarding the topic feel free to continue posting in the thread.

/solving

PWNINGPETE    0

Just a simple question, how far does one have to go so that it would be considered bad RP enough to file a report?

I've met these but one particular individual comes to mind and is really starting to get annoying whenever that individual is around. To me this person has nothing to offer when it comes to RP and seems to have no character at all.

The only times this person is speaking you can only hear phrases such as:

isn't statement 2, OOC?