Server time: 2017-08-17, 02:04

Sign in to follow this  
Strikeh

How to increase view distance?

Question

Strikeh    2

I messed with my config files in order to increase FPS, but 200 meters seems to be the limit for how far I can see people. How can I increase this?

12 answers to this question

Guest Dalton   
Guest Dalton

Since you said you messed up your config files, I'm guessing you know how to get to and open them. So I'll provide you with what you need to change. Once you're in the config with your name, CTRL + F and search 'viewdistance'. You'll see the following two rows:

viewDistance=2500;

preferredObjectViewDistance=1000;

The first row is how far you see trees, buildings, grass, etc. The second row is how far you see objects. Be aware that players and zombies do count as objects. The number is meters so set it to how far you want to be able to see.

Hope that helps! If you have any other questions about the config files, feel free to ask.

Edit: Those of you who wish to change these settings as well, configs are located at C:\Users\yourname\Documents\DayZ\

Strikeh    2

Sweet. Thank you. What do you reccomend I set so I can see for about 1-1.5k meters?

Guest Dalton   
Guest Dalton

viewDistance=1000;

preferredObjectViewDistance=700;

That would let you see the environment 1000 meters away and players/zombies at 700 meters. I would say play around with the distances until you get something you're comfortable with and provides the FPS you're looking for.

kennosen    0

How far can it go? Just wondering because fps is not a concern for me, and I like eye candy.

Anyone set it much higher? How'd the game look?

Guest Dalton   
Guest Dalton

How far can it go? Just wondering because fps is not a concern for me, and I like eye candy.

Anyone set it much higher? How'd the game look?

ViewDistance=3000;

preferredObjectViewDistance=2500;

I believe that is the limit of both environment and objects. If FPS isn't an issue I would change your settings to this:

sceneComplexity=1000000;

shadowZDistance=150;

viewDistance=3000;

preferredObjectViewDistance=1500;

terrainGrid=3.125;

kennosen    0

Many thanks for the reply to my question Dalton. I'll be trying that out for sure. Thanks to the op for reminding me to look at this after forgetting to do so. :)

Tamaster92    14

Please bear in mind the server has a view distance setting too which will override yours at 1500m

This only stands for objects though, as far as I am aware you can view the terrain up to max :)

Am I ok to solve this Strikeh?

Guest Dalton   
Guest Dalton

Please bear in mind the server has a view distance setting too which will override yours at 1500m

This only stands for objects though, as far as I am aware you can view the terrain up to max :)

What is the object view distance set by the server?

Tamaster92    14

What is the object view distance set by the server?

As I said in the post, I believe it is 1500m Max

Guest Dalton   
Guest Dalton

As I said in the post, I believe it is 1500m Max

Oh sorry, I took that as the server will override the 1500m that I suggested to something else. My bad.

Strikeh    2

Go ahead and /solve. Thanks guys

One last question though, so do I set 1500 on object view distance? Go ahead and /solve after this

Tamaster92    14

Yes 1500 is the max you should set for object distance :)

/solved