Server time: 2017-10-19, 16:32
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
TheNightFalcon

Quick RP tip

Just because you (the player) knows something this does not mean your character does. Try to isolate the two as much as you can.

I bumped into a really helpful guy but he checked my pulse and suddenly knew my name.

However he had no in character way to tell. This is the same when speaking in text.

Be careful with the little things and your RP will come along leaps and bounds.

Guest Phalix   
Guest Phalix

dont metagame(using knowledge from real life ingame)

that can either be:

using the forum for information ICly, knowing people's names from checking pulse/when they text in chat.

Unless that person tells you their name, whether it be chat or voice, you don't know their name(in game)

Yes, metagaming! The great bane of the roleplayer! It is, without a doubt, the most difficult thing to overcome.

Metagaming, in roleplaying terms, comes in two major forms.

The first is separating OOC knowledge (that which the player knows) from IC knowledge (that which the character knows.) During gameplay, you may learn things that your character couldn't possibly know, either because of bugs, reading the forums, or seeing the player list. As a roleplayer, it's your duty to constantly analyze your character's actions, and ensure that any choices they make are based solely on information that they could possess, without allowing information you possess to influence those actions.

The second is actually more inline with the traditional definition, which is when you have your character make choices based on the knowledge that they are a video game character, or that their universe is governed by the laws of a computer program. Metagaming is actually a valid strategy in many online games. Taking advantage of mechanics to gain an edge and whatnot. However, in a roleplaying community, metagaming is very much frowned upon. To your character, Chernarus is a real world, a real country that they're trapped in. Things like "spawning" and "loot cycling" do not exist in that world, and we, as players, come up with in-character explanations for these phenomenon, which is where rules like initiation limits and the NLR come into play.

The biggest abuse of metagaming is the No Value For Life violation. Essentially, the character throws themselves into a suicidal situation because the player behind the keyboard knows that, should they die, they won't stay dead. In reality, the biggest risk is death, which is permanent and irreversible, and that's how you should treat it in game, but instead, metagamers will take much larger risks because they know death is barely even a slap on the wrist.

The second biggest abuse tends to be pointless robberies. See, if you and your four buddies are armed to the teeth with military gear and you're toting around several pounds of food and water, you're not likely to rob some defenseless woman hiding from the rain in a shack. Why? Well, what if she's armed? Sure, you outgun her, but what if she panics, pulls a pistol, and manages to wound one of your guys? What if he dies from those wounds? Now you're a man down, and for what?

Of course, since it's a game, people routinely metagame and perform these robberies anyway, because they know that even if that seemingly defenseless woman manages to kill one of them, the downed man will just respawn, regroup, and rearm to go about their business.

Ultimately, that sort of metagaming can easily be avoided if you play your character as if death is permanent, because that's really what you're supposed to be doing anyway.

Players that know everything annoy me. My character doesn't even know how to read, write, use a sewing kit, etc. Some people need to learn to balance their characters, instead of making a character that know everything about survival.

Players that know everything annoy me. My character doesn't even know how to read, write, use a sewing kit, etc. Some people need to learn to balance their characters, instead of making a character that know everything about survival.

I don't necessarily mind a lot of players having survival knowledge. This is three months into a complete collapse of society, it only makes sense that the people that are still breathing either had survival skills before the outbreak, or have become quick learners since then.

I do take issue with everyone I encounter being in the military, but I'm seeing less of that now than I did in the mod.

My character is actually a survivalist. However, the flip side of that is that she grew up learning how to use hunting rifles and shotguns, so even something like an SKS is somewhat foreign to her and makes her nervous, and she has zero experience with AKs and M4s or similar weapons. Her firearms experience is limited to hunting animals and shooting stationary targets, so she panics if someone shoots at her, lacking any combat training or experience. I simulate this by intentionally pulling my shots wide when shooting at moving targets or when being shot at.

Likewise, having moved out at an early age and having to be frugal, she knows how to sew and cook. She can drive, obviously, but aircraft are completely beyond her, and she wouldn't even know how to start a helicopter, much less fly one. She also can't drive huge trucks, so if she were to get behind the wheel of a V3S she'd probably crash it into something.

Yes, characters that are near-perfect at everything quickly grow tiring.

KaMa3    0

Thanks a lot!! Learned a great deal about RP from these tips and going to use it in game :)

Xaeleth    0

It is likely that alot of this stuff has been stated, but this is what I see as the basics:

No "players", only survivors

No IRL knowledge

Live your role

Treat it essentially as a apocolypse simulator, is my favorite. This is stuff that you would or could do in an apocolypse. Preserve your life, be careful, be realistic.

Don't break character.

Don't break character

....Don't break character....

Guest Doug Quade   
Guest Doug Quade

Great tips here. I plan on integrating the whole doesn't know much at the beginning but learns as he goes, into my character. That is going to be my focus for RP.

Brabbzy    0

Agreed, you may know all the ins and outs of DayZ, Arma and Chernarus IRL, and you may get some information through the forums and ingame that your character would otherwise not know (like names, camp locations etc), but that doesn't mean you should run around like some kind of clairvoyant Rambo. Not only is it against a few rules, but it's actually pretty boring.

Experiment with giving your characters flaws and weaknesses, and you'll find it actually makes for a much more interesting experience. Maybe your character is old or suffering from a previous injury, so you can't sprint and have to take breaks while traveling on foot? Maybe you're addicted to pain killers and get agitated and paranoid when you haven't had your fix? Maybe you're religious and shy away from killing another human, even a zombified one, or you're just a straight up coward and freak out at the first sign of danger? Use your imagination.

Don't worry about your shortcomings making people less willing to group up with you either. Everyone loves RPing with a unique character and having to take these kinds of obstacles into account when dealing with a situation makes things more interesting and challenging. DayZ RP doesn't have to be about coming out on top; it should be about immersion, survival and captivating player interactions.

BillyMerch    0

Don't worry about your shortcomings making people less willing to group up with you either. Everyone loves RPing with a unique character and having to take these kinds of obstacles into account when dealing with a situation makes things more interesting and challenging. DayZ RP doesn't have to be about coming out on top; it should be about immersion, survival and captivating player interactions.

This right here! make your character your own, give yourself some drawbacks, my character has diabetes i always have to keep his energy level at bright green, if it is not showing i start freaking out and am going to have a diabetic attack. its really fun to do!

Brabbzy    0

This right here! make your character your own, give yourself some drawbacks, my character has diabetes i always have to keep his energy level at bright green, if it is not showing i start freaking out and am going to have a diabetic attack. its really fun to do!

Awesome idea, must bring up some pretty unique situations. I'm imagining your character and a friend being taken hostage, and your buddy desperately trying to plead with your captors for some food or a can of coke to get you back on your feet while you slowly slip out of consciousness.

I just came back and I'm thinking of playing an elderly man, hard of sight and hearing and showing signs of dementia. Barely even realising an apocalypse has occurred, calling literally everyone "Billy", telling bandits to watch their language and complaining that back in his day kids weren't allowed to play with guns.

Haven't landed on a name yet though, so PM me if you have any suggestions. Don't want to take the thread off topic.

to enhance your gameplay through what is essentially storytelling. There are no winners or losers in roleplay, everyone wins if everyone comes together to make something worth doing. It is not my place in any way to tell you what to do with your character. However if you are going to play your character, why not do it well enough to enjoy it throughly and extend that enjoyment to those you are sharing the experience with? act as you would in real life. Would you casually walk over corpses into a gas station and ask someone if they have some water? If yes then please dial the police and turn yourself in. When by yourself, it makes sense to run from place to place so you can be where the roleplay is at. However in a group, be cautious, be reasonable. Your character doesn't know if those zombies are actually dead or just pinned down, or hiding somewhere. On that note, your character doesn't know. You do, they don't. How fun is it really to use your out of character knowledge to make things easy? To know that you can just come back, to know an area from a previous character or to use a map if you don't actually have one, to know you can just wait for loot to respawn. Is that really your idea of fun? Of roleplay? I get that it's the way you want to play, but playing as someone who has to fear for their life, knowing that you get one single chance to live that life. Maybe it's just me, but knowing there is only one chance, you take it more seriously. you might surprise yourself just how in-character you can get. You might actually feel alone out there sometimes.

It's pretty incredible to think of all potential game breaking information that is easily accessible in-game and in the forums. I guess I have to be extra cautious and cognizant about now using some of this information to my advantage. Just when I thought I was ready to be injected into this rich RPing world, I realize I still have much to learn. But the learning process will be a part of the fun. I cannot wait to join!

Moskis    1

I must say at some times, it can be hard to remember it is metagaming. For example when checking pulse or if someone types something. I wouldn't be surprised if it slipped my tongue (the name of the person). I guess you learn it as you play!

Must add that it was good thinking posting this thread :P

drewhinny    0

Very true. It is hard to come to the conclusion that you meant to metagame. In the long run its bound to happen a lil bit. Just don't go any farther after you do it by mistake.

Sign in to follow this