Server time: 2017-08-22, 16:57

Sign in to follow this  
ZAirish

National Attitudes

ZAirish    0

As i have not yet played DayZRP yet im interested to know if the characters resident to the Chernarus have a general attitude about them with regards to foreigners (however they may have arrived at Chernarus). A xenophobia of sorts? Can a out-lander expect more hostility, as apposed to a local.

If its too difficult to speak on behalf of all the 'local' RP'ers, may be you can draw on your own experiences / stories that could shed some light on the topic. Would love to hear them.

Volke    132

I think IMO I have met some people on Chernarus who get mad that we "foreigners" tarnish their homeland. Every character is different. Some people don't mind while true nationalistic characters are greatly offended, hell they may blame the foreigners for the plague of zombies on their lands.

Guest Vittoria   
Guest Vittoria

As i have not yet played DayZRP yet im interested to know if the characters resident to the Chernarus have a general attitude about them with regards to foreigners

hate em all

Bryce_    1

Volke said it pretty well, but yeah. They often think everything is the result of foreigners. Always their fault. I've seen Chernarussian natives call foreigners "pigs". One time, a native got mad at me because I apparently insulted his homelands' rain.

Don't make them angry and you should be fine :P

Grihm    16

It can be very very exaggerated from time to time and some really need to step it down a bit. As you said btw001, i have myself seen someone go absolutely bananas and it almost went into violence...over a comment that it was " a shitty rain "

IMO, it´s a bit to much swearing and "motherland" here and there but it all comes down to what you yourself are willing to accept to receive. It is however not seen as any form of "better" rp just because you curse at anyone not speaking in a Russian accent.

My general experience with people that RP native Chernarussians is that they are distrusting of outsiders and tend to want us gone, though it varies from one individual to the next.

On the mod, my character had dual citizenship. While some Chernarussians appreciated this and were nicer to me for it, others actually seemed more hostile at the idea.

I'm not sure if there's a lore reason for Chernarussians being unfriendly towards foreigners, though.

citycatred    0

I have yet to run into any native Chernarussians (that I'm aware of). So far it's mostly been Americans :/

J.D.    2

I have been called a "Dirty Dog Pig" by CLF in the mod I wore it like a badge haha

gr1ves    3

Back in the mod, there were a few Chernarussian groups like Volki and CLF who disliked foreigners but didn't the USA etc. help with the Chedaki during the civil war and all that? Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I thought in the "official" lore, during the 2009 civil war, the extremist wing of the NAPA party was fighting the Chedaki and refused to work with the CDF and USMC under far-right wing and nationalistic ideologies, until Father Fyodor "Prizrak" was assassinated by Razor Team south of Stary Sobor when they were stuck in Chernarus (Arma II Harvest Red Campaign Mission 9 - Badlands). Together, the NAPA leadership worked with CDF and the Americans and drove out the Russians and provided the evidence that NAPA was not responsible for the Red Square Bombings - but was a false-flag attack perpetrated by the ChzDK to frame NAPA and thus, justify the invasion of South Zagoria in the last two missions of the Red Harvest campaign.

Death to the dog pigs!

#bringbackclf

*Pets pigeon Roland*

As i have not yet played DayZRP yet im interested to know if the characters resident to the Chernarus have a general attitude about them with regards to foreigners

hate em all

Would robe em twice for blinking at the border

Rifleman    14

As myself and my group play for the most part play as Chernarussians, we currently don't really care what foreigners or who is actually in Chernarus at the moment - we're all stuck here together, so we might as well make the most of it and not make enemies. So long as you're not caught doing anything bad by us (direct acts of cannibalism, robbing people, torture and execution on poorly based grounds) you'll be fine. There are other more ultranationalistic elements to the Chernarussian play style (like NAPA) where if you're caught doing literally anything bad or that hurts the nation and the people within it, then you have outstayed your welcome and will likely be hunted down and killed.

There is some xenephobia - mainly towards Russians, but some people may slander you as a foreigner anyway.

At the end of the day though, it's all down to what the guy's like - so don't believe that every Chernarussian is a bloodthirsty killer if you run into one like that, same goes for the other extremes.

I'm not sure if there's a lore reason for Chernarussians being unfriendly towards foreigners, though.

Chernarus is a recent warzone VS the Chadaki, and with the also but again not so recent lebaration from Russia (USSR) they still keep the "Westerns are bad" ideal like the Russians

Chernarus is a recent warzone VS the Chadaki, and with the also but again not so recent lebaration from Russia (USSR) they still keep the "Westerns are bad" ideal like the Russians

I think it it wrong to assume that the whole Chernarussian population as pro or anti Russian but I can speculate there would most positively be people who dislike the Russians due to the USSR and the economic policies that made their country what it is today, at the same time, I am sure there are elements whom support the Russians. If you look at the history of Chernarus, it historically had ties with the Rus to the north and was even incorporated into the Russian Empire in 1631. However, after the 20th century and the breakup of the USSR, I think many Chernarussians would have a negative view of Russians due to the totalitarian activities of the leaders of the USSR and Secret Police and would tend to lean more with the West due to economic and military support. However, we can only speculate due to the limited knowledge and history that is provided to us by BI.

I think it it wrong to assume that the whole Chernarussian population as pro or anti Russian but I can speculate there would most positively be people who dislike the Russians due to the USSR and the economic policies that made their country what it is today. If you look at the history of Chernarus, it historically had ties with the Rus to the north and was even incorporated into the Russian Empire in 1631. However, after the 20th century and the breakup of the USSR, I think many Chernarussians would have a negative view of Russians due to the activities of Stalin and USSR secret police, etc.

Yeah they do dislike russians, but the ideal's of a post USSR state is still in the foundation of the land, I tend to look at it like state Ukraine is in, just less chaotic between themself.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't DayZSA take place in modern day rather than back in the 80s like the mod did?

I could be all screwed up on the timeline.

Nagita    0

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't DayZSA take place in modern day rather than back in the 80s like the mod did?

It is in our days, yeah, as the outbreak came during October 2014.

Bugeye    0

I have yet to run into any native Chernarussians (that I'm aware of). So far it's mostly been Americans :/

The few others we have run into were mostly Brits or Russians...but yeah, we've yet to meet any locals. I would have to assume there will be a slight bit of hostility toward foreigners considering all they've been through. Since the lore doesn't directly address this, it will depend upon each characters choice of RP.

Tomeran    3

You are correct. In dayZRP(if you intend to follow the lore) it is the same time as in RL.

In the arma2 verse which is what DayZ has been built on for quite the while, most of the stories, campaign and content is based between 2009-2012. So its definetly modern times.

Its not the first time people have confused the timeline with the 80ies and...im not entirely sure why.

As for the OP's topic

If you go by the DayZRP lore(and I have to ask that fairly frequently since not everyone does :D ) then the arma2 ending that was used was "The War that never was", which would indicate that the russians and chedaki "lost" and the chernarussians and the americans "won". By some definition.

Since Chernarus developed into a relativly stable democracy since that rebellion you'd probably see -some- less resentment towards the west, especielly since they helped fend off the rebellion. Fact is the american intervention didnt result in a whole lot of collateral damage(at least not caused by them) so it was a fairly smooth one compared to certain other examples, and thus there probably wouldnt be a lot of resentment towards the west or the US.

But there is one nationality that, especielly seeing the above background, sticks out that would probably be resented by most Chernarussians: The Russians

The russians have continuisly seemed interested in not just adding Chernarus to their sphere of influence but also outright annex the country(which has almost creepy resemblences with a certain situation in Ukraine). The Russians didnt invade outright but rather a proxy conflict was fought where the chedaki's essentially waged the battle for them(again, resembling the Ukraine conflict in some aspects).

Due to these recent events, it is highly likely a large portion of Chernarus, especielly among its nationalists, have a -strong- resentment towards russians. Ultra-nationalists will of course despise all foreigners and foreign intervention and whatnot, the ideology being what it is, but russians would probably remain the focus for the majority of that ire.

The exception could apply to the north-northeastern parts of Chernarus and South Zagoria in particular where there has been some support for Russia(due to a large percentage being ethnic russians there) and thus serving as kindle for the chedaki rebellion.

Thanks, Tomeran! That helps a lot.

The only reason I thought it was around the cold war era was due to many people making references to the 80s and the Soviet Union in the mod.

Good to know, so modern-day pop culture, to most extents, apply to the setting.

chump    8

my character is a chernarussian raised by russians in Solnichniy, he supported Russian nationalization and Putin before the outbreak. post-outbreak my character has been very weary of foreigners, especially westerners who seem to make up 90% of the living population. Vlad sees the majority of his countrymen are dead, those few living he meets are westerners, usually american. In his mind there is a correlation between the massive influx of westerners, the outbreak of the virus, and the diminishing native population. I've played this out as being very untrusting of people with western voices and more accepting towards slavic voices, I even got into a argument with an american character over how Putin would come save Vlad and his people while Obama left the Americans to die.

edit: reading some comments it might make more sense if I say vlad originated farther north, closer to the russian border.. hmm..

ZAirish    0

Wow, these explanations are amazing, paints a very clear picture.

Thanks folks!