Server time: 2017-08-20, 02:13

Sign in to follow this  
PWNINGPETE

KoS question when stealth is necessary

Question

PWNINGPETE    0

I wanted to ask a question about the Kill on Sight rules.

IT states that:

:You have to make contact with the target before initiating a hostile action against it. You must make your hostile intention clear and unambiguous and state each demand before you can harm the victim(s) for non-compliance."

Can you kill on sight in the case that stealth is absolutely needed?

For instance, (This was before RPing on these servers)

My character was starving and all I had was a bow and 5 arrows.

I found a group of players around a campfire. (nightime)

I snuck up to them and listened to their conversations.

They were clearly hostile and would likely kill me if they saw me.

But I still needed the food badly as I would die.

One guy went out into the woods to cut wood for the fire. I stalked him and shot him in the back with the arrow so the others wouldn't hear the noise. I took his food and melted back into the forest.

Would this be a bannable offense on an RP server or would this considered an O.K. roleplay given my character's condition and the mind state of the enemy?

12 answers to this question

Cid    332

It does not matter if you are being stealthy or not, you MUST make contact with the person and you must have valid KoS rights in order to kill someone, like if someone was robbing you and you gained KoS rights off of the hostile interaction. You can not kill people off of suspicion.

PWNINGPETE    0

well dat sucks

i don't like KoS but this may make it dangerous to make contact if he has allies nearby

PWNINGPETE    0

I just want to make sure i'm all set with this matter before posting a whitelist application as to be a good little RP'er.

What constitutes a hostile action?

Does it have to be verbal?

If i'm in a building, and I see 3 guys draw their weapons and enter, could I consider that a hostile action and take a defensive position?

Can I hold people up via warning shots, chemlight signal, written paper, walkie talkie?

If I see someone pointing a gun at me but too far away to make verbal contact, could I consider that a hostile action?

"You may only share KoS rights when you meet both of the following conditions:

You are within 500 meters of the hostile situation at that time

You were recently apart of the involved parties group."

does this mean that I can't "save" someone that is being held up if I wasn't ever part of their group?

soory if i'm annoying here

Can I take revenge against another group member of the person who made the hostile action.

For example, john and Larry are parters.

Larry robs me.

later, I take John hostage as revenge for what Larry did.

By hostile we mean that you are in a situation where it is CLEAR you character life is in danger. For example, you are in cherno and five guys surround saying "DROP YOU FUCKING WEAPONS NOW!" That there is called an initiation, someone is demanding that you do something in a hostile tone, and it is clear that what they are doing is hostile. You can't just kill someone because they walk in with their guns raised...

If you are going to hold people up you have to initiate like in the above example, when you initiate you have to make your intentions and demands clear to your victim so that they know you are being hostile. Also if they are complying to your demands you can not harm them, but if they show signs of non compliance you may do harm. For example I tell "DROP YOU FUCKIN GUN AND DON'T TURN AROUND!" and instead you raise your gun and start to turn my direction...well you just gave me rights to kill you....

Finally, we do not have a Good Samaritan rule, so if you see someone getting robbed and you are not apart of their group, you can not just open up on the robbers, you would have to initiate on the robbers and if they didn't comply then you can kill them...

I hope this answered all your questions...

Brad    155

-snip-

One guy went out into the woods to cut wood for the fire. I stalked him and shot him in the back with the arrow so the others wouldn't hear the noise. I took his food and melted back into the forest.

Would this be a bannable offense on an RP server or would this considered an O.K. roleplay given my character's condition and the mind state of the enemy?

Here's the thing fella. If you went into that camp starving and asked for food, they can't KOS you either. If they decide to initiate against you and comply with their demands, they will have to feed you. Or perhaps they even like you and say hey why not tag along with us. Happens all the time

OR

The guy goes into the forest and instead of killing the dude you sneak up and tell him to keep quiet and that you need food. You can even clearly state, "I just need food and if you alert your friends I will kill you." Then the roleplay will play out from there.

PWNINGPETE    0

-snip-

Here's the thing fella. If you went into that camp starving and asked for food, they can't KOS you either. If they decide to initiate against you and comply with their demands, they will have to feed you. Or perhaps they even like you and say hey why not tag along with us. Happens all the time

OR

The guy goes into the forest and instead of killing the dude you sneak up and tell him to keep quiet and that you need food. You can even clearly state, "I just need food and if you alert your friends I will kill you." Then the roleplay will play out from there.

Ok all sounds good. Last question is if you can shoot warning shots in the air or at the ground by their feet to spook or drive away other people getting too close to camp

Other then that, everything sounds like fun and I can't wait to apply

Brad    155

-snip-

OR

Ok all sounds good. Last question is if you can shoot warning shots in the air or at the ground by their feet to spook or drive away other people getting too close to camp

Other then that, everything sounds like fun and I can't wait to apply

I would always start with yelling, "get away". Warning shots would be instantly taken as a hostile action and could give the other party KOS rights.

Honestly, I havent fired a shot at a player since joining this server in December. That could change, but you are in for an interesting ride. My advice don't worry so much about your gun, your mind will be the more valuable weapon on these servers :)

BradHitt is correct, warning shots can grant kos rights and are not advised. OP I will be marking this as solved as all your questions have been answered, remember if you have anymore questions you can always hop into to teamspeak and ask a staff member:)

/solving

As an addendum, I'd like to add that using warning shots to initiate are an extremely bad idea.

If you fire warning shots at someone, they are now completely legitimately allowed to return fire on you (you committed a hostile act.) However, you are not allowed to shoot at them until they shoot at you first. The reason for this is simple: You initiated, but stated no demands. Without stating demands, they can't possibly comply, and if they can't comply, they can't be shot for non-compliance.

So, in essence, firing warning shots basically gives your intended victims a free shot at you before you're allowed to try and kill them.

PWNINGPETE    0

Ok. Here is a good question. Can you use stealth to takedown a enemy if it is non lethal? Consider the example in the OP. Instead of a bow, what if I KO'ed him with a baseball bat or retrained him with handcuffs and told him to be quite.

The reason I am asking so many questions about stealth is I am very used to a solo play style. Back on the public server, being an RP'er, I would sneak around, infiltrate bases, and take out merc squads from the inside.

It seems like rp styles that are solo are tricky to do when you have to initiate contact. It is difficult to "throw your weight around" when you are solo then. Especially when confronting large groups.

Ok. Here is a good question. Can you use stealth to takedown a enemy if it is non lethal? Consider the example in the OP. Instead of a bow, what if I KO'ed him with a baseball bat or retrained him with handcuffs and told him to be quite.

The reason I am asking so many questions about stealth is I am very used to a solo play style. Back on the public server, being an RP'er, I would sneak around, infiltrate bases, and take out merc squads from the inside.

It seems like rp styles that are solo are tricky to do when you have to initiate contact. It is difficult to "throw your weight around" when you are solo then. Especially when confronting large groups.

No. Inflicting any damage on someone requires KOS rights. You cannot hit someone with a bat, or shoot out their legs, or anything of that sort.

I have seen people get away with punching other people out, since I believe face punches have very little chance of causing death, but that's probably still something that requires KOS rights, and at the very least would be considered a hostile act.