Server time: 2017-10-18, 07:46
Safe Zone: CLOSED

DayZ maintenance is in progress

Sign in to follow this  
Nova_Ethridge

Potential injury bug (Unconfirmed)

Okay, so three times now, I've been looting buildings, when suddenly the screen flashes as if I've been injured, but I don't seem to be hurt. A check of my health shows "Healthy" rather than "Healing" if I'm sufficiently fed and hydrated, so it wasn't an errant zombie impact or bullet.

In one of the events, my leg was broken. The other two didn't cause me any apparent injury. However, one thing I noticed was that on each of these three instances, my shoes are "ruined." I know your shoes wear out over time.

One theory I have for this is that when your shoes hit zero durability and "break", it applies damage to your feet. I know you hurt your feet if you run barefoot or with ruined shoes, but it seems like when the shoes reach zero durability, the game has some kind of initial impact effect that it applies, possibly to warn you that your shoes just broke. However, it seems as if it's possible that the impact can also break your leg.

My other theory is that I'm triggering some sort of fall damage bug, and the damage is being applied to my feet, which breaks my shoes and also sometimes breaks my leg. However, I find it unusual that the fall damage would only break my shoes without causing any other injury save for the single instance of a broken leg. I would expect that suffering enough fall damage to break your shoes would also kill you. Obviously, I have no way of really testing this since it seems to happen at random. All three times that it happened, however, I was on the second floor of a building.

Toska    0

My other theory is that I'm triggering some sort of fall damage bug, and the damage is being applied to my feet, which breaks my shoes and also sometimes breaks my leg. However, I find it unusual that the fall damage would only break my shoes without causing any other injury save for the single instance of a broken leg. I would expect that suffering enough fall damage to break your shoes would also kill you. Obviously, I have no way of really testing this since it seems to happen at random. All three times that it happened, however, I was on the second floor of a building.

Multiple tests have shown it's this. ^

What actually happens is that the server doesn't recognize you going upstairs and still thinks you're standing on ground level. Because of this the server will try to adjust your altitude by pullling you down. This causes the fall damage.

The thing with shoes broken before pants comes from the damage system of DayZ. Similar to shirts receiving damage fromfrom zombies before vests do.

An easy work-around is vaulting after you went upstairs. Vaulting will reset your location for the server and should prevent this bug from happening. Just make sure you won't vault of the building. ;)

Thanks, I'll have to try and remember to do that.

I've experienced a lot of issues with that silly collision box bug lately. It's more of a problem on DayZRP than other servers due to the heavy population. Hopefully, as SA gets updated, they'll address the performance issues.

Diggy    0

Yeah I've been taking my time going up and down stairs due to this. It seems the server sometimes cannot recognize you going up stairs at a fast rate. Most the times Iv'e had this happen to me is when I am sprinting around looting and generally not taking my time. It hasn't happened to me since I have started walking up stairs and taking my time, although your theory is highly possible as well. See if maybe taking a short pause before casually walking up stairs seems to lessen the chances of this occurring.