Server time: 2017-10-16, 22:09
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
Major Tom

No second chances

Major Tom    88

Hey everyone

Just posting here to ask something and hopefully get some answers, even if nothing changes in the end (which I doubt will happen anyways).

Right, so a little while ago my friend Alfie got banned. He had 0% warning level at the time and a very empty warning history. He did one thing wrong and was banned permanently. Now, this isn't my issue. The ban, although maybe a little harsh, I understand. My problem is that he also lost posting rights. He physically cannot make an appeal.

Now, if he really wanted to appeal he would have to make a new account just to post again. This would most likely be seen as an attempt to avoid the system though, and would result in a definite ban. A system was put in place a few months ago where parma'd players could post in ban appeals if needed in order to avoid them simply making new accounts to appeal on.

The whole nature of a ban appeal is that you can get a second chance. Even the most infamous of members in this community have been given the chance to appeal, so how come Alfie with a low warning record has been given absolutely no chance? Doesn't this remove the whole purpose of the appeal section?

I don't expect this thread to change much. I understand that staff probably have some reason they can dig out and throw at me to make this post irrelevant. However, I simply want to know why he has no chance to even consider an appeal.

Thank you.

Volke    131

What was the one little thing he was banned for?

If it was this/somewhere along the lines of this. Then I feel it is fair to perma ban even with a clean slate.

We employ a zero tolerance policy towards those who engage in racist, rape, immature or otherwise abusive role play. Such actions are grounds for permanent removal from this server.

I personally don't think anyone who may engage in anything such as this to be given a second chance.

As well as hacking

Major Tom    88

If it was this/somewhere along the lines of this. Then I feel it is fair to perma ban even with a clean slate.

We employ a zero tolerance policy towards those who engage in racist, rape, immature or otherwise abusive role play. Such actions are grounds for permanent removal from this server.

I personally don't think anyone who may engage in anything such as this to be given a second chance.

As well as hacking

Nothing of that nature. He changed one of his forum thread titles to something silly that I can't remember exactly. He also added some dumb jpeg image to it. Was a little bit trollish, but nothing worth a ban with no appeal I don't think. It was a forum action that got him banned, not an ingame one.

I agree that hackers should be given no second chance. You can't redeem cheating, but everything else should be given a second chance.

Hatch    0

As well as hacking

He changed a title for a thread...

Volke    131

O.o.... I suppose in that case it depends on the forum title & the jpeg posted.

As well as hacking

Nothing of that nature. He changed one of his forum thread titles to something silly that I can't remember exactly. He also added some dumb jpeg image to it. Was a little bit trollish, but nothing worth a ban with no appeal I don't think. It was a forum action that got him banned, not an ingame one.

I agree that hackers should be given no second chance. You can't redeem cheating, but everything else should be given a second chance.

As well as hacking

He changed a title for a thread...

Major Tom    88

It was nothing sexual, racist or offensive from what I can remember. I believe it was a closeup of some guys face in really low quality.

I may be wrong, I'd need to ask Alfie and find the screenshots.

Volke    131

Interesting... it must have been bad enough for staff to ban him/her :(

Hatch    0

This is what it was:

x9I1hMa.jpg

He kept changing the title back from "Official DayZ SA media thread" but it was his thread, trollish but a perma ban is too much in my opinion.

KpopKilla    74

He changed it to the "Christopher Dorner Appreciation Thread" it was a joke in really bad taste. I don't think he should have got straight up permed for it though. Just a banstrike would have been sufficient.

Edit: Saw Hatch's post Guess I heard wrong.

Volke    131

Ya.... it seems a lot for a perma ban. I can understand like 15 - 20 warning points. but perma ban seems a bit much.

For a donator of blue rank and time in the community is looks like a joke that turned out of hand.

Guest DeadPlaya   
Guest DeadPlaya

Bit extreme IMO. Alfie is a great guy and while it may have been trollish it shouldn't have been a perma.

RoCKiE    0

Oh wow :D had to laugh about it again.

But yea, the perma ban is really too much punishment keeping in mind that he cant even appeal it. Some of the biggest ***** have gotten appeals but not Alfie... come on.

I just hope that one of the best mods (staff member) this community had, if not the best (in my opinion) stays banned for .... well.

:)

Mush    2

Have to agree with what's being said here. Alfie was trolling with this thread yes, and perhaps staff had seen him trolling elsewhere, but he was a nice guy - and was a staff member.

Now, I'm not saying being staff makes you untouchable and unbannable but with him being in staff for so long, perhaps just a warning (whether it be verbal, stern or what) could've been the right path. I don't know, and I doubt this thread will shed much light/change on things.

I can see where staff are coming from, when someone trolls it's so shitty and dealing with it (especially in a community which shouldn't have pety trolls) is awful. Perhaps there was a better action that could have been taken. Must say, personally I was shocked he was banned but can respect the staff's decision here. What he did was unwanted and unneeded. He should however, be able to appeal it. Definitely.

Fozzy    2

+1000

enar got banned for a similar bs reason. Never had any warning points in his life, but because he was involved in a report that didn't even get him banned, he got permad 1 week later for it and had his posting rights removed.

#cut4secondchances

Caesar    438

Enar's attitude was completely abymal. He consistently along with others you know well decided to deride this community and to treat it with consistent contempt and loathing. He displayed a lack of respect to the staff and community and I for one do not think that Enar's ban was unfair. At the end of the day, people's stay here is dependent on whether they deserve to stay. In both cases they both did something that made us believe that they no longer deserved to be apart of this community.

As for appeals for both, I could be swayed and will discuss this. But the fact is any such appeal will likely be rejected regardless due to the poor behavior both showed near the end of their time here. Alfie also did more then that thread.

Also even if the appeal is allowed and accepted for both people, I stand by that both these people deserved a significant time out from the community to force them to reconsider their attitudes.

Major Tom    88

Also even if the appeal is allowed and accepted for both people, I stand by that both these people deserved a significant time out from the community to force them to reconsider their attitudes.

Well the bans themselves I understand completely. It's just the fact that there is no chance to appeal. I understand maybe a posting ban for a short while after the ban to prevent a pointless appeal, but to forever remove posting rights just means that even months later when they reconsider their actions they have no way to show this.

It's been a long time since Alfie's ban, he's had time to reconsider. I really think he should be able to at least try an appeal. I don't see any reason to completely shut them out forever.

Thank you for your answer

kyoto    4

+1000

enar got banned for a similar bs reason. Never had any warning points in his life, but because he was involved in a report that didn't even get him banned, he got permad 1 week later for it and had his posting rights removed.

#cut4secondchances

But what bout Kevin?

Should also deserve a chance.

SweetJoe    385

Enar's attitude was completely abymal. He consistently along with others you know well decided to deride this community and to treat it with consistent contempt and loathing. He displayed a lack of respect to the staff and community and I for one do not think that Enar's ban was unfair. At the end of the day, people's stay here is dependent on whether they deserve to stay. In both cases they both did something that made us believe that they no longer deserved to be apart of this community.

As for appeals for both, I could be swayed and will discuss this. But the fact is any such appeal will likely be rejected regardless due to the poor behavior both showed near the end of their time here. Alfie also did more then that thread.

Caesar, I love this Community, But if I do one thing wrong are you going to send me on a permanent Vacation with no chance of a ban appeal?

Caesar    438

It honestly depends on what that one thing is. Nobody is immune from the consequences of their actions, and if those actions justify permanent removal then so be it.

Not that I am saying I suspect that will happen. Its easy to say something is a mistake, but in all honesty there is a difference between a mistake and pure stupidity and trolling.

This case is being actively discussed that being said.

Rolle    2926

I think that both Alfie and Enar received enough warnings (formal or verbal) about their behavior prior to their bans, which have not helped. Alfie decided to troll on the forums in purpose. Enar had the same bad attitude in a report as he always had. I say enough is enough. I'm all for second chances for people (SKA members for example), but not when someone is deliberately showing their disregard for this community. Of course he's sorry now, he was permabanned, but I think it's too late for being sorry and promising improvement, he had multiple chances to do that already and chose not to.

Caesar    438

We have decided to let both Enar and Alfie appeal their bans.

Do not take this as an indication we support or endorse these people or their ban appeals. They will be given a chance to appeal but their attitude was not appreciated.