Server time: 2017-10-21, 12:16
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Frisia

Responce on S3 Forced First Person

Do you like the Forced First Person on S3?  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Forced First Person on S3?

• I like it
    • I dont like it
    • Neutral (Post opinion in thread)

Frisia    8

So i discoverd that S3 is forced first person and perhaps a test to see the community their responce and behafior around forced first person so well why not have a debate thread about it?

Anyhow so people that play on S3 what do you guys think of the forced First person? More immersive? Do you like it? Hate it? or dont you care for it?

TrilbyAsh    6

I think it would have been more prudent to put this poll up after...Well. After some time has elasped. Right now, we'll get a lot of people downvoting it without even trying it, and others who won't be decided because they haven't gotten the feel for it yet.

Zero    463

Hm, even though I am waiting for my white-list, I can see why someone would dislike this, on one hand, it enhances immersion, on the other hand.. Well, I like looking at my character, plus, that allows for some good screen shots in my opinion.

Apache    21

I hate having to travel in first person, and I feel much more aware of my surroundings in 3rd. It gives me a much safer feeling than never knowing whats behind me without having to turn all the way around. That being said, the forced 1st person does stop people abusing it like using it to look around corners and over walls and stuff like that. But like Walker said I do like looking at my character in 3rd person.

Is the server forced 1st person AND sharing your character's equipment? If it is I think it needs to be a completely different hive, like normal and hardcore servers are on regular DayZ, that would give people incentive to try the 1st person only server if they had a second character they could try it with with little impact on their "regular" character.

Is the server forced 1st person AND sharing your character's equipment?

It is. I sadly didn't have time to check if it was also persistent.

But I agree, would be more enjoyable as a separate hive. But, we can't win everything. Having a first person server at all is a blessing.

HellsGamer    0

I've been playing on S3 off an on since it came up. I have mixed opinions of it. On one hand this is a hardcore RP community, so obviously it should be in first person. Though I say that I personally don't like to play DayZ in first person. Mainly for the fact I feel so limited. My biggest issue with first person is the fact that depending on back pack size I don't see over my shoulder, where as if I were to wear some of those back packs I could easily adjust the strap to do just that. Granted, the mountain back pack's are just to big for that to work, but the dry bags give me the same problem. Also with the glitches in game, like switching weapons for no reason, or putting up your weapon for no reason, not taking an item into your hand etc... it's hard to tell if your character is truly doing what you're telling them to do. Unless you have your fists raised all the time, or looking in your inventory, you really don't know 100% if something is in your hands or not. Now I can see why you'd want first person since it removes the ability to look around walls/over fences and things of that nature, which we wouldn't be physically able to do, but the benefits of NOT being in first person out way those of trying to maintain realism. Another issue I have with first person is how DayZ does the melee swing mechanics. Your swing is never where you're aiming, in third person it's much easier to compensate for this since you can see your weapon swing, in first person it's a crap shoot. Today alone I've had to change my shirt three times due to zombies hitting me because I swing over their heads. Lastly, even with the other unrealistic advantages, third person allows you to compensate for your other missing sense by SEEING what your body is doing rather than feeling it doing it. Where as first person it's almost as if you're cut down to two senses, and that's it. All in all until DayZ fixes all the negative impacts of playing in first person I'd rather third person.

Prince    119

i liked how it had no people on it....but i got ill after an hour with the head bob off so..

Blizzard    0

I love it, even tho im in the US I go out of my way to play on it now.Now All we need is persistence on one of the servers.

All in all until DayZ fixes all the negative impacts of playing in first person I'd rather third person.

A lot of these are features, not short comings, and many of the bugs are a dwindling issue for most other plays. I don't have issues with random weapon switching anymore, and I have grokked melee, so I can generally sidestep a zombie and know where my weapon is going to hit.

The issue with backpacks is something I prefer, and the backpacks are modeled to simulate being crammed full, and I can promise from experience that a person hunched over and looking back will have their view obstructed by backpacks. That's a feature to encourage a person to use smaller backpacks, to give more balance to a game with plenty of massive packs.

I always know what my character is doing and what is in their hands -- if not,I can just look down.

I feel that first person eliminates a lot of the unnaturally forgiving mechanics in DayZ, but it is a serious amount of adaptation for the everyday player who's used to third-personing everywhere they go.

It's a pretty big change, but not one that's ever caused me any qualms.

Now All we need is persistence on one of the servers.

This.

If we could get S3 persistent, or even on a seperate hive, that'd be amazing. There'd finally be reason for setting up camps, farms, and settlements. Something that there is absolutely no point in trying while persistence is off. That lack of persistence, for as little difference it seemed to make in server performance to me, severely limits the kinds of roleplay one can engage in, and the activities one could do.

TL140    0

Head bob off or not, Constant First person makes me motion sick so i cant play

HellsGamer    0

All in all until DayZ fixes all the negative impacts of playing in first person I'd rather third person.

A lot of these are features, not short comings, and many of the bugs are a dwindling issue for most other plays. I don't have issues with random weapon switching anymore, and I have grokked melee, so I can generally sidestep a zombie and know where my weapon is going to hit.

The issue with backpacks is something I prefer, and the backpacks are modeled to simulate being crammed full, and I can promise from experience that a person hunched over and looking back will have their view obstructed by backpacks. That's a feature to encourage a person to use smaller backpacks, to give more balance to a game with plenty of massive packs.

I always know what my character is doing and what is in their hands -- if not,I can just look down.

I feel that first person eliminates a lot of the unnaturally forgiving mechanics in DayZ, but it is a serious amount of adaptation for the everyday player who's used to third-personing everywhere they go.

It's a pretty big change, but not one that's ever caused me any qualms.

That's the issue though. The only pack big enough to obstruct my vision would be the mountain pack. I've carried a pack that I crammed full that weighed 65LBS+ and I could still see over my shoulder. It's all about strap placement and how high you have it on your back. The dry bags could be easily adjusted so I COULD see over my shoulder.

I do agree though. I haven't played a first person game in a while, that wasn't a plain FPS. So adjusting is hard for me. I just think the third person allows me to compensate for the missing sense of touch/feeling. RL I'd be able to know what my hand is doing at all times, or where my melee weapon will hit when I swing. Sadly until VR comes out a game can't mimic that.

Jackson L    0

It's probably where I will be spending most of my time from now on.

I've noticed that the RP in the EU1 server seems to be of better quality than on the US server. I find that a lot of the people I meet on the American server are quite immature and overall I feel like it's a younger crowd. I'm hoping the forced 1PP will weed out even more of the weak RPers. Time will tell.

Lil_Beefy    0

I like it.

If people don't want to play first person only, there are two other servers they can join :P

Plus, it seems popular so I want it to stay.

Scimfaxi    0

Always played in 1st POV, regardless off RP, Tactics, Personal preferences. It's a PC Shooter, 1st POV always for PC master Race.

And also totally more immersing.

Ominous    5

I don't mind 1st person only to be honest after playing on the server for a bit now. But when it comes down to RP, getting on a server and combat everything is fixed.

Firstly 1st person is not as popular so there always tends to be slots which is nice since sometimes your spamming for an hour to get into s1 or 2.

RP seems more realistic especially in a firefight in a building, no stupid 3rd person looking around walls etc. Also its a lot harder to spot someone if they are following you since your not really used to fully turning around to look behind you.

Overall i think 1st person is great but for short periods of time (2 hours max) since sometimes you do just want to be able to see what you look like and have a different camera angle.

TrilbyAsh    6

To be fair, I can't even look that far back over my shoulder without snapping my vertebrae, so frankly, I'm happy to even see as much as you get in any case.

So yeah...Go 1st Person! Woo!

Mamba    0

I have no issue playing this way. I do see the amount of KOS going up. Just because it will be harder to watch all sides of you like it is in 3rd person.

Findlyn    0

I really like the RP being in first person. IMO, its to 'meta-gaming' to be able to third person and be able to see more then you should. Although, it was a little odd when i first logged in not knowing it was going to happen. I quickly adjusted and figure it was a change for RP reasons and have zero issues with it.

m1000ad    0

I think we should be able to choose whether we play first or third person, rather than be forced to use first.

That way, everyone gets to play the game the way they like.

Diggy    0

Might give it a try. Head bob makes me want to vomit though. I also just like to see my character, but so do a lot of people.

Samaritan    346

Might give it a try. Head bob makes me want to vomit though. I also just like to see my character, but so do a lot of people.

You can enter the settings and turn the head bob to minimal so you hardly notice it. You can always see your character in the inventory section as well (not exactly the same but close(ish)). Anyway give it go and if you don't like it you can always go on S1/S2.

I think the idea of a 'hardcore' (1st person etc) server will not be for everyone, but I think it's a good thing that it's an option.

Diggy    0

You can enter the settings and turn the head bob to minimal so you hardly notice it. You can always see your character in the inventory section as well (not exactly the same but close(ish)). Anyway give it go and if you don't like it you can always go on S1/S2.

I think the idea of a 'hardcore' (1st person etc) server will not be for everyone, but I think it's a good thing that it's an option.

Fair enough. More options are always nice. I might take you up on changing the settings. I wasn't aware that was something you could turn down.