Server time: 2017-08-17, 07:52

Sign in to follow this  
Great Khan

Allowing SOME famous RP names!

Should we implement this rule relating to famous common names?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Should we implement this rule relating to famous common names?

Great Khan    52

Hello everyone! IF YOU WILL NOT READ THE WHOLE OF THIS, THEN PLEASE DO NOT VOTE!

This thread has been made to detail my thoughts and opinions on famous RP names because I feel, in some circumstances, certain names should be allowed. Don't get me wrong, I completely understand using famous names can be seen as a way of trolling and is prohibited, however, I feel in my circumstance I should be able to keep my name!

My Story!

Within DayZ standalone, I have been using the name Thomas Jones! Some of you may know this and I have been using this name for the past couple of weeks. Earlier today I got kicked, the message stating it was a famous name for a singer. I do know who Tom Jones is, and his name in full is Thomas Jones. For the past 2 weeks I have built up a reputation with that name in the RP server, the name striking some people telling them of who I am. Now I have to change it which means when people relay information over me in game, I will be known as a different name and so that name will no longer be applied to me. Also, when I am to state my new name they may misunderstand me for another person!

Why I want Change!

The reason I want change is because I picked out two very common names: Thomas and Jones. Just like Ben and Smith, these names are very popular from where I am from and when hearing the name spoken I believe most people will not consider it as a famous singer. It took two weeks for an admin to realize my name was a famous singer, and I have been Role-Playing every single day. Along with no one questioning me about it in ooc when Role-playing, I believe everyone was oblivious to this. This is one reason why I want change!

At the time of making my character I was not aware of naming myself after a famous singer! Also, celebrity and famous wise, I believe 'Sir Thomas Jones Woodward' is known as 'Tom Jones'. This would probably make a lot more people less oblivious to me having a famous name if I were to name myself this. However, 'Thomas Jones' sounds a lot different and is not considered famous by many due to it being so common!

Finally, it is not like I have named myself 'David Cameron', 'Bob Marley' or 'Cristiano Ronaldo'. These are names that would of got me kicked from day 1 because they're so famous and well known. My name did not coincide with how the celebrity is actually known

Now, if you managed to read down to this far I thank you for your time! What i suggest is:

What I suggest!

A rule whereby people may use common names which are not directly linked to the celebrity. For example, names such as 'Thomas Jones' are two common fore names and last names which make people oblivious to the singer. For this rule to apply, you will need direct permission from one of the staff team to be able to use the name before entering in game with it.

Whitefur    4

Nope. The trolls will have a field day with that. You don't know celebs like you think you do, hence the RP will always be off. Not to mention how they all got there in the first place...

I know that someone like you probably won't abuse it, although you can't just believe that someone else would not.

Owen    13

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-ingame-names

I doubt that the rule is going to change as it has been in-place since May 2013. Allowing for some means that people may take this to their advantage and use other famous names. Just make up new names instead of using known ones.

Vaine    23

I doubt that the rule is going to change as it has been in-place since May 2013. Allowing for some means that people may take this to their advantage and use other famous names. Just make up new names instead of using known ones.

Just to state.. The admins are suppose to be discussing wether this should be changed. As for ther now it is not working.. Sure obama and brad pitt etc is obvious no no's..

but it is suppose to be getting discussed currently. Just waiting on the verdict

Great Khan    52

Nope. The trolls will have a field day with that. You don't know celebs like you think you do, hence the RP will always be off. Not to mention how they all got there in the first place...

I was never Role-playing as the actual celebrity, I think I should make that clearer in the thread. Just because someone has a name which is the same as a celebrity, which is highly common, does not make them a celebrity! I just used the name as it came to my head. Also, in order to use names such as these you would need admins position which I stated under my suggestion. I believe this will prevent the trolls from having a 'field day' with this rule in place. This will prevent the rule from being abuse d!

Hey Owen, I understand this may be a problem, however, I feel in my circumstance that the rule can only be applied if an admin, GM etc gives permission! That way it can prevent people from trolling and using it to their advantage.

Owen    13

I feel in my circumstance that the rule can only be applied if an admin, GM etc gives permission! That way it can prevent people from trolling and using it to their advantage.

Say if one person is allowed one and the other isn't then it would seem unfair that said person gets to use that famous name while the other can't.

HAGGLE    5

I don't think OBVIOUSLY famous names should be allowed.

That being said, I don't know who the hell Tom Jones is. Tom is a common first name. Jones is a common last name. Yet, last night there was someone playing as "Jordi Leforge" on the server who never got kicked. *shrug*

I don't think Tom Jones should be considered a "famous name". There is a thin line between Not strict enough and Too strict, I believe this crosses the line into Too strict.

Guest neom   
Guest neom

No, be origanl and creative, you don't need to be someone famous or known

Vandy    34

I defenatelly say no to it.

If you would hear such name, you would immediately think of the ooc characther and that would break the roleplay allot.

Rare famous names (Vin Diesel, Charlie Chaplin, etc) are forbidden, but there's some leeway for people that are famous but have very common names.

Names like Tom Jones, Jack Black, Kevin Smith, Tom Arnold, and the like are sometimes accepted because they're very common names that likely exist extensively outside of Hollywood.

Same goes with fictional characters. Names like John Smith, James Wheeler, and Richard Reed may belong to fictional characters, but those names are also very common in the real world, outside of fiction.

Saffypie101    1

A lot of positive and negative factors in using famous people's names, interested to see how this would unfold.

I dont really like the idea of using famous people's names perhaps if you go ahead and get it approved by an admin first. Still I think that is a stretch famous names are just used for trolls on the server

Guest Vittoria   
Guest Vittoria

Just gonna vote no, it's overly complicated for staff to have to decide what is "famous" and what will not be "famous" if put into affect.

Use your creativity and make your own name.

Rick    19

Problem is, that when we look at the players list, we don't know if people are using the famous person or not. Regardless, there are countless names in the world, surely you can find one that isn't decently famous.

TL140    0

I think there should be a threshold on the names. Names like Morgan Freeman or Will Smith should be forbidden. But hell, I didnt even know Thomas Jones was a famous person's name. If I was to use my real name, I would probably be banned myself. I feel that this is unfair and should be modified but not completely changed

Caesar    438

Just to state.. The admins are suppose to be discussing wether this should be changed. As for ther now it is not working.. Sure obama and brad pitt etc is obvious no no's..

but it is suppose to be getting discussed currently. Just waiting on the verdict

It is being discussed. As of yet no satisfactory change has been discovered. It is difficult to say what is famous enough.

Chris    61

Part of the problem is consistancy. How can we draw a clear line as to what would be acceptable? A staff members age, location, and personal hobbies can greatly influence what they would consider to be 'famous' or not. Stack that on top of the player list not being monitored like a hawk 24/7 (reports and forum warnings take precedant over kicking for in game names, imo), and it becomes quite difficult to find a system that is fair to everybody.

I myself have played with the name Chris Pyke for years now, and was informed that he is a character on Star Trek (spelled Pike, but close enough). Point being, I watch a lot of those series and forgot that name. Some would call that an obscure name, others would consider it famous due to Star Treks popularity.

The issue is line drawing. Personally I can't think of a better way to do it.

Volke    132

It is being discussed. As of yet no satisfactory change has been discovered. It is difficult to say what is famous enough.

I think like Caesar said it's more trouble then it's worth. If you accept any famous names, it slowly opens the door to no return. I feel staff has to be very strict on this otherwise it could get too out of hand.

Part of the problem is consistancy. How can we draw a clear line as to what would be acceptable? A staff members age, location, and personal hobbies can greatly influence what they would consider to be 'famous' or not. Stack that on top of the player list not being monitored like a hawk 24/7 (reports and forum warnings take precedant over kicking for in game names, imo), and it becomes quite difficult to find a system that is fair to everybody.

I myself have played with the name Chris Pyke for years now, and was informed that he is a character on Star Trek (spelled Pike, but close enough). Point being, I watch a lot of those series and forgot that name. Some would call that an obscure name, others would consider it famous due to Star Treks popularity.

The issue is line drawing. Personally I can't think of a better way to do it.

What Chris said is a perfect example as well

ONIC    0

Could cause confusion. I'm sure multiple people would choose the same person.

Interesting thread, - What if - for example, a characters back-story involved having a legal name change to that of their favourite celebrity?

I am probably going to get myself in trouble here /doh but - my characters name is that of a dead musician. Now he is virtually unknown and nobody in game has noticed, in fact i have told people in character that i have changed my name legally as tribute. My character is a musician - it all fits nicely. Hell it passed the white-list!

I think people nailed it above by saying if it's overly obvious - Charlie Chaplin, Angelina Jolie - thats too much, but Thomas Jones is incredibly common in the UK, particularly Wales.

Funny thing is if i called myself Nick Clegg or even Dave Cameron I am pretty sure nobody would notice!

Hessian    11

I don't see why people can't just settle for fake names. Not everything has to be linked to a celebrity.

I don't see why people can't just settle for fake names. Not everything has to be linked to a celebrity.

I feel that same way. Being a celebrity brings nothing to the RP... Just trolls.

Nagita    0

I would like to add, why an American celebrity would do in Chernarus? It's a little, not well-known and not classy country. That won't brings celebrities into this country. The only celebrities I can only accept as a player would be chernarussian, national celebrities, like TV animators, or such. But not internationnal stars at all.

Guest AsOiX   
Guest AsOiX

I will now be Kim Karoo and run around naked screaming "Break the Internet!!!!!"