Server time (UTC): 2021-10-18 08:40

Server Suggestion

Hey guys,

Coming from a gaming clan (We have many different members, half are Euros and half are located in North America.) We try to keep everyone happy, so we have a server located in Frankfurt, Germany and another hosted in NYC, New York. (This makes it fair to all of our members) I know it's hard paying for servers, and if my suggestion doesn't make it's way past just being a suggestion I fully understand.

Although I enjoyed (and still enjoy, just waiting for whitelist application to clear) playing on DayZRP; The server location extremely affects me, whether it's random disconnects or a high ping. (It's not my internet, I have a 50mb/s connection.)

I guess that my suggestion is, why not have an additional server hosted in North America? As I said, I know servers are quite costly and I fully understand if the DayZRP staff don't consider this.

(Although I would be willing to donate as much as I can every two weeks once I get my paycheck.)

Whether or not you ever decide to have a North American server, I will continue to play on DayZRP. :>

• MVP

It would be a good idea (as I live in the Americas myself), but the server isn't hosted by a server farm. The server is hosted locally at Rolle's house.

I'm amazed I get 200 ping to a home internet connection in Sweden.

• MVP

As someone who lives in Australia and gets a solid 400-450 pings on DayZRP, I can sympathise. It would be great for everyone, but its not something that I'd imagine would be looked at unless the communities population was getting to the point where it was actually profitable for Rolle to set up additional servers.

I can always dream though :)

It would be a good idea (as I live in the Americas myself), but the server isn't hosted by a server farm. The server is hosted locally at Rolle's house.

I'm amazed I get 200 ping to a home internet connection in Sweden.

I wasn't aware that the servers were hosted locally by Rolle. But as I said, I would continue playing even with the random server kicks/disconnects and high ping.

Guest Hatsjoe

I did not know Rolle hosted the server locally in his home.

This would explain the bad connection sometimes and the bad FPS, since I only have those problems here on DayZRP.

Why not rent a good dedicated server, or colocate the current server in a datacenter?

What are the specs of the server anyway?

Money shouldn't be the issue, plenty of people donated and bought stuff in the shop.

• MVP

Why not rent a good dedicated server, or colocate the current server in a datacenter?

What are the specs of the server anyway?

Money shouldn't be the issue, plenty of people donated and bought stuff in the shop.

From his perspective, I'd imagine its more profitable to just keep things the way they are. It wouldn't become an issue until plenty of people either starting complaining about the lag or started leaving.

Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, it would be more difficult to utilize the personalized mod Rolle and the team use, if the servers were hosted via the standard methods. It might not be, either.

Who knows.

I wouldn't mind a closer server point, true, since at times I can lag up to 3-5 seconds [which is hell against zombies, especially when trying for that headshot kill; or when I get hit by a zombie from 10 feet away, despite crossing the room to evade it] but it's not all bad. Sometimes I have fine lag, too.

Alas, that's the internet for you.

• MVP

It is possible to add in your own mod to a managed server, hosted in another location, but generally you need to pay for a dedicated box. This is quite expensive in comparison with running your own.

Also, don't forget that it increases the down time between updates and you are also put in a major bind if their servers are stressed or under maintenance. They tend to shove as many consumers as possible under one box, which makes dedicated box essential to avoid high pings.

Renting a box is good for a casual consumer but in this case you can be heavily limited and it may be detrimental. It is a major benefit that Rolle can just go in his room and work on it directly.

(This might not be 100% true, but certainly reflects my own experience from owning a rented and a dedicated box located in the USA)

It is possible to add in your own mod to a managed server, hosted in another location, but generally you need to pay for a dedicated box. This is quite expensive in comparison with running your own.

Also, don't forget that it increases the down time between updates and you are also put in a major bind if their servers are stressed or under maintenance. They tend to shove as many consumers as possible under one box, which makes dedicated box essential to avoid high pings.

Renting a box is good for a casual consumer but in this case you can be heavily limited and it may be detrimental. It is a major benefit that Rolle can just go in his room and work on it directly.

(This might not be 100% true, but certainly reflects my own experience from owning a rented and a dedicated box located in the USA)

I fully agree with you, however, it also depends on what host you would buy the box from; Gameservers has really great DayZ hosting, they also allow custom modding, although the price is somewhat ridiculous. (74 USD a month for a 50 slot)

But cost shouldn't be a problem as long as people donate, which there are quite a few members who donate substantial amounts.