Server time (UTC): 2021-10-19 17:44

Asking for player info.

Guest ExpendableOne23

Guest ExpendableOne23

So I got robbed earlier today. NBD. Part of the game. But something struck me as odd. The robbers asked me to "Type my name".

Now I thought this was a role play server, so why would some random bandits robbing a guy after the zombie apocalypse ask a guy to "type his name"? Naturally I told him to go fuck himself, and that I wasn't going to give him the satisfaction of adding me to some bizarre list of people he's robbed, and he shot me in the face. Now, I wouldn't necessarily call that an RDM, but it wasn't a role play kill.

Sure by the letter of the rule I wasn't complying with his wishes, but it kind of went against the spirit of the game. If he had asked me to show him some papers, or write my name down then I might have complied. But the lack of role play involved kind of set me off.

Anyways, the point of this post is why would he have asked me for my name? I am a newer player here, so I have no background as to why he'd need it. Anyone have some insight?

Guest ExpendableOne23

"3. Stay in character

This is a roleplaying server, players playing out of character will be removed. Executions, camping or deathmatching are allowed as long as they are lead in RP manner..."

I just don't think those actions were in a RP manner.

Guest John Vilikov

Well. Alot of people do it to see what Clan the person is in, if he knows them, or for that Sicko list of their Kills (Lol?). To be honest, it is somewhat FailRP to not do what he said based on the fact he asked you to type his name. Because if we are getting technical, then I would never been able to mug/be mugged as you can always find little errors. This is, after all, a virtual realm of realm-ness-ness...

Look at it this way, ADMIN map sees all. So if you file a report on something that happened, they can pull information from the server database to back both sides of the conflict. Either way, someone will lose, just do what is said and hope to be shot in the face. =D

• MVP

The reason people ask others to type their names is because its the only way to positively identify someone. Remember that a lot of people on this server know each other, so it makes sense to know who you're robbing, because in a real life scenario you'd probably recognise them by face.

I suppose you could argue that asking for 'identification' is more RP oriented than asking someone to type their name. But new players may not know how to identify themselves properly, so the robber is actually doing them a favour by giving clear instructions.

asking to type name is fucking ballsack IMO, both parties should do some formal type of typing

Bandit*raising eye brows as his gun is aimed at the mans face*

Victim *fear overcomes him as the guns barrel smiles at him*

if i hear one more person tell me to type my name im going to shoot them in the face.

Guest ExpendableOne23

Yeah, I'd be all for it if the robber typed to me first. That way we are on even playing ground. Sure he has the advantage and is robbing me, but then at least I know who is doing it.

Asking someone to type is BS. What do you want me to do genius? Break out my freaking palm pilot or iPad or something? Type to you like I am Stephen Hawking? This is the freaking zombie wasteland. Did you bring a typewriter in your back pocket?

If you want my name, type to me and ask for some papers or something RP oriented. Don't just demand I type and threaten me.

• MVP
This is the freaking zombie wasteland. Did you bring a typewriter in your back pocket?

Well no, this is a video game with a zombie wasteland setting... There are some things you can't simulate, and asking to type something for the purpose of identification makes sense.

I do agree in some regard about how it should be an even playing field. If the robber is using text to find out your name as an alternative to the visual identification they'd make in real life, then it makes sense that you get the same entitlement as you have both seen each other in-game.

I suppose a rule that specifies that robbers must make their ID request in chat, so that both parties can see each others names makes sense; and if the victim doesn't respond after your request, then its considered non-compliance as usual.

The problem is that introducing rules for every single niche scenario can make things over complicated.

Pretty much what others are saying. A lot of people are well known so they want to know the name to see which clan they're in, if they're in one.

Me, when I want to know someone's name, I ask over voice. If I didn't hear, I ask how you spell it. It's then their choice about whether or not they type it or say it. If I still didn't catch it, I'd probably just type saying I didn't catch what they said, and hope they typed as well.

As i see it perhaps one should not ask the robbers to go fuck themselves which is very provoking. Instead ask them why do you want to know my name i am of no significant interest just take my gear which you came for in the first place. I believe you got shot cause of the attitude not that you necessary didnt reveal your name.

• Server Manager

Asking to type your name is OOC. If the robber wants to know your ingame name he should RP using text and ask you for your name that way.

Guest anando

Asking to type your name is OOC. If the robber wants to know your ingame name he should RP using text and ask you for your name that way.

And if the victim only uses voice?

I believe you got shot cause of the attitude not that you necessary didnt reveal your name.

he's being robbed mate. what do you suggest his attitude should be exactly?

I believe you got shot cause of the attitude not that you necessary didnt reveal your name.

he's being robbed mate. what do you suggest his attitude should be exactly?

Depends on how ones character acts in such situations. But clearly telling a person holding a gun to your face to fuck off is perhaps not the best way to deal with the entire situation. If you would tell a person on the street the same thing you might go home with a broken noose. In this case the guy got shot in the face by a robber. I am not defending the act i just say one might handle it in a smarter way and live. The rest i leave to the admins to sort up the report.

• MVP

They want to identify who you are and any affiliations you may have. The system itself does not allow each character to be unique and easily identifiable so if anything, asking for your name is perfectly accepted as long as it is in character.

Ask them to write something down or provide identification if they have any.

• Emerald

Ask for identification, simple, if they state in voice they don't have any, then say it this way "I will ONE MORE TIME! Identification! NOW!" then go and type ((By that I mean type. )) If they respond OOC of course disregard the name itself, as they are not showing you ID, but instead replying in a quick OOC manner, IMO staying IC is great, but there are times when things need clarification, which is why we always have the option of doing a quick type such as if a person being robbed has a hard time hearing the robber, quickly saying "Hey OOC but can you type? I cannot hear you very well, or typing via ((Hey, cannot hear you really well, please type your demands so I can comply or not? ))

Personally I want to know your name so I don't rob you again if the robbery turns bad, tell me your name wow really a big deal?? Ok so the robbery turns bad, you get shot, you respawn and bam we rob you again because you just happened to spawn close by.

Also if tell your name when asked it becomes easier down the road, if you act like a dick you'll be treated like one. Speak your name, or type your name, people get to know you and then you may get involved in the kid nappings, the fun robberies, and sometimes you will just be let pass on by.

I am sure it could have been asked better like, what is your name ect. but WTF people we play this to have a little fun, everyone on this server is getting so anal retentive that it's take the whol;e fun out the game. But then again maybe that whats you want...........

if you act like a dick you'll be treated like one.

again, whats with bandits demanding courtesy from their victims? be treated like a dick? i think shoving a gun in someones face and making demands is enough, don't you.

i don't think the victim should be obliged to give their name, at gunpoint or not. your taking their belongings, that should be all your concerned about. is the bandit going to give their victim the courtesy of knowing who's robbing them?

if things are handled in good RP, like in some of the examples given then fair play, im all for that. shooting someone because they refuse to give their name is a bit much though.

• MVP

I think there are times when you just can't stay in character. Just yesterday I got robbed while I was in the back of a car. The robbers told us to drop our weapons and gear in the car. The other two I was with were already running away from the vehicle while I was still figuring out how the hell you can open your inventory in a car. I was afraid that they were going to shoot me when they said "you have 2 seconds to get out", so via voice chat I said a little panicky: "I don't know how to open my inventory in my car!" Of course, that was totally out of character. And so was their answer. It had to be. We could've both typed it in between brackets, but is that really necessary? It's not something that is going to happen a lot anyway.

But as been said here before, many use text to ID themself as the game is really lacking in the ability to recognize someone any other way.

Everytime I feel like im about to be robbed, or are robbed i always have this text prepared: [T.O.R]Metaphor: Friendly outpost ranger!

This have gotten me away many times even after the "robbery" have started, and I do not see it as OOC in any way. It is identification.

If a robber ask for your name, the worst thing that can happen is that you are robbed. The best thing that can happen is that they let you pass due to your or your groups reputation. The reason they ask you to type it is quite obvious; they want proof that you are who you say you are since everyone in this game more or less look the same.

The ability to posivtively ID someone in this game increase the RP.

And trust me, I know this from experience (so do many bandits aswell): If someone refuse to type their name it means they usually want to hide their identity/ stalling etc.

We who play the "good guys" willingly type our name before we are even asked so that the bandits/group know that they have nothing to fear from us.

IRL a group would be able to recognize you from your face etc, this is DayZ's way of doing that.

An informed bandit... is a friendly bandit!

But really ask the right way and all is well, ask wrong and you will get the wrong answer (mostly leading to my death), but staying IC is paramount to me, that I would rather die for it.