Server time (UTC): 2021-10-19 18:57

Longer Nights?

Guest Reniz

Guest Reniz

I know alot of people is aginst this and i can see why however my view is that nights is a part of dayz running around with flares and flashlights this makes dayz truely terrifying and the feeling of crawling around in darkness and suddenly someone opens fires 10m from you without knowing your there and you just want to get up and run.

all this has happend to me and i like this idea since well its dayz it belongs kinda doesnt it? even more so if we had 2 servers as we used to offset by like 8 houres or how much it was once?

Atleast just a suggestion as it does add alot to the gameplay

just my two cent

This could be particularly terrifying now that the zombies wander around and gravitate towards players. Make it a horror game again. +1!

I reakly love night time ingame. I just think its sad to see how emott it get. Maybe they can add more nvgs or something. So there is more people wanting to play. Or just dont do tje night time as dark. I have no problem atm to see at nighttime but i do know some people who have it pitchblack almost with gamma settings.

• MVP

I reakly love night time ingame. I just think its sad to see how emott it get. Maybe they can add more nvgs or something. So there is more people wanting to play. Or just dont do tje night time as dark. I have no problem atm to see at nighttime but i do know some people who have it pitchblack almost with gamma settings.

Well, that's what I love about the night. Not being able to see shit. I'm lucky that I have NVGs but playing without them and having to rely on chemlights, flashlights and flares is amazing.

It's the feeling of being lost, the confusion, that makes it so great. My first day on DayZ and this server I followed a dude who had NVGs. I had nothing, and I couldn't see anything. I tried to stay behind him and keep an eye on him with my flashlight. This was very difficult because you can't run and look with your light at the same time. But it was really thrilling. How my flares lit up the buildings. How gunfire sounded. The idea that someone could be very close. The sound of growling zombies right behind you. And you have no idea where you are. I think it's amazing.

rp 1 daytime rp2 nighttime? or have both up with different times so people can pick to play on the one with night again? as it used to be.

• MVP

rp 1 daytime rp2 nighttime? or have both up with different times so people can pick to play on the one with night again? as it used to be.

Then I would suggest keep RP1 how it is now, but turn the day and night around for RP2. So RP1 has 4 hours day and 2 hours night between server resets, and RP2 would have 4 hours night and 2 hours day between server resets.

hope stand alone comes out with a server setting that controls ur gamma so that u cant change it. My cod4 clan played in a league where the mod itself forced u to use some settings so that no one could lower the object details and such to get an advantage over others. if this could be made so that people couldnt raise the gamma, we would be forced to use flashlights and flares.

dont know if this would be possible in the arma enginge though....but a gamma rastriction of maximum 1.3 or something would be nice :)

some graphics cards and monitors will show varied brightness so a little modification of gamma is only fair, but no more than 1.3 :)

• MVP

hope stand alone comes out with a server setting that controls ur gamma so that u cant change it. My cod4 clan played in a league where the mod itself forced u to use some settings so that no one could lower the object details and such to get an advantage over others. if this could be made so that people couldnt raise the gamma, we would be forced to use flashlights and flares.

dont know if this would be possible in the arma enginge though....but a gamma rastriction of maximum 1.3 or something would be nice :)

some graphics cards and monitors will show varied brightness so a little modification of gamma is only fair, but no more than 1.3 :)

I actually lowered my brightness to .8 and my gamma to .9 to make it more dark. Aren't you playing for fun? Especially on a roleplaying server like this.

So, how does nighttime work now? Can someone who knows tell me?

• MVP

The problem is night vision, and those who have it have a far higher advantage than those who don't. If we were to increase the length of nighttime, we'd have to decrease the probability of NVG spawns by a large amount.

What's the problem with advantages? There will always be people with advantages, in DayZ and in real life. Some people have silenced weapons. That's an advantage. But by all means, decrease NVG spawns. It's pretty expensive equipment to just be found randomly every day.

What's the problem with advantages? There will always be people with advantages, in DayZ and in real life. Some people have silenced weapons. That's an advantage. But by all means, decrease NVG spawns. It's pretty expensive equipment to just be found randomly every day.

Of course. I was conscious of that when I wrote my post. But thing is, everyone should have a chance for an advantage, not just big bandit clans. Too many times have I seen hordes of men outfitted with advanced equipment, and it's always the same people.

• MVP

Of course. I was conscious of that when I wrote my post. But thing is, everyone should have a chance for an advantage, not just big bandit clans. Too many times have I seen hordes of men outfitted with advanced equipment, and it's always the same people.

I agree with you. But that also shows the advantage of forming a clan/group. In a apocalyptic world the best thing to do would be to form a group. Those who are in a group will always have an advantage.

Whatever happens, I hope there will be more night and I also hope that the night will stay as dark as it is. I can't prevent people from turning the brightness and gamma up, but I hope they won't do it.

Well im pretty sure most people turn their gamma up during night time, but i think it would be nice if it was possible for the mod to prevent that :) in our cod4 mod the server would allow you to change the settings, but if u exceed the limited value you get kicked :)

Guest Reniz

I should point out i dont have nvg's so thats not why i suggested it but if we had both servers up

then we could simply run a normal day night rotation so you experince those few houres each day where nvg's are more or less useless since its just bright enough for them to be very staic but its dark enough for you not to see well without light.

Overall i think it belongs in dayz sure reduce the spawn rate for them Never seen a freshly spawned crash site anyways lol imo it just belongs in the game nights with the feeling of terror and if you see someone running at night without light and you manage to see that they have nvg's why not rob them for them? happend to me i lost my nvgs in a robbery not long ago and yes it sucks not haveing them but its snot the end of the world thats why there is road flares and such afterall? chances are it will make the choice between carrying ammo or road flares harder aswell along with the question if you should use a SD weapon over a G17 maybe?

I would love to see longer nights. It seems like right when I am getting into it, right when it gets dark.. Whamo! Sever restart and it is bright again. I will take whatever, though.. but I do miss playing in the dark.

• Legend

Yet again throwing in my support for more night. The current setup has about an hour of twilight and an hour of dark. Two servers set to opposite cycles would be ideal, but I understand that we need more players to make that a reality.