Server time (UTC): 2022-09-28 06:28

Here's an idea. Barter...

Vapor

• Sapphire

Wouldn't it be cool to have a barter system in place. Just to make things a little more civil, reconstruct a currency. Some items have more value then others.

Examples: Weapons are one of the most valued thing in the game, some people may have a character that doesn't know how to use them, but with the barter system in place, you can pay someone with items to teach you or you can just trade the items for the gun and not learn how to use the gun.

#1Food: Most Valued item: Steaks, can food, vegetables, etc.

#2Guns and armor: Second most valued item

#3Melee weapons: Brass knuckles, baseball bats, sledge hammers, etc

Everything else in the game is worth less then the three main wanted items. So, you would have to have double of the item in order to get the above items. And the same idea with the other three top items. Food can get guns. Double the guns for food. Double the melee weapons for a gun.

With the idea of learning skills from someone, you can pay them in food or guns or melee weapons. Or a whole bunch of other items that not part of the top three most wanted items. But still have some use.

Add some ideas or ask a question if you don't understand what I am saying. :)

• Sapphire

t-that's called trading...

the ig value is of personal preferred

Confirmed. This exists already.

• Sapphire

Trading is lame. Having "value" to an item and getting more for it is better. Instead of trading a gun for a banana...

Trading is lame. Having "value" to an item and getting more for it is better. Instead of trading a gun for a banana...

well maybe the person really wants a banana.

it's not like, you can put a currency on items.

it's just what you need at the time.

If I'm dying of hunger, I'll give an AKM to someone for rice or something

• Sapphire

I'm just not sure how you could roleplay a system like this?

• Diamond

Read this as banter, but yeah this already happening based off a player's value of an object.

i think that a proper item value system takes away from the role-playing due to the fact hat we're all just survivors trying to get by and you will want different things at different times, if such a value system was in place more people would have to resort to robbery because they don't have the equal value of what they are trying to get. example : they realy need a pistol but all they have to trade is five bananas.

• Sapphire

i think that a proper item value system takes away from the role-playing due to the fact hat we're all just survivors trying to get by and you will want different things at different times, if such a value system was in place more people would have to resort to robbery because they don't have the equal value of what they are trying to get. example : they realy need a pistol but all they have to trade is five bananas.

But doesn't make it more interesting. Having a motive on every each that you take.

Even if its against your morals. Doesn't that make the RP different, nonlinear, interesting. This is just an idea. I wanted to see what everyone else thought of it. But the majority don't like it.

You don't understand. Putting a fixed value on things is just plain crazy. Where did you get the information that told you that food is the most valuable thing. Where im at I don't worry about food or water. I worry about ammo. So why isn't ammo the top value item? i would make the list;

1. Ammo

2. Guns

3.Clothing

4. water

5. food

Just like you this list is arbitrarily made. I think my list is better for the value system. So tell me why yours is better.

What im getting at is that the "List" is different for everybody. Someone who hangs around the vybor triangle will maybe put food and water as their number 1 because they are in an area that has an abundance of guns, ammo, and clothes.

For these reasons a fixed value system would never work. It was a good idea for epoch/overpoch but the way this server is run and SA being SA, trading is the best and most RP friendly economic system.

• Sapphire

What you just wrote, made everyone in this thread just a little dumber in my opinion.

You say trading is lame, but it's the thing that keeps our community partly rolling. Why put set value on items like clothing/melee weaponry when everybody has a personal preference. For example, You will never be able to trade my characters revolver, because it has sentimental value to himself. Why make a list when IG Roleplaying is all about feelings, sentiment and the IG need/provision of connecting with others, getting to know one another and if necessairy exchanging goods to support both life and comfort.

Putting a set price on certain items would lower and even degrade by this idea you have.

Then don't trade a gun for a banana.....

The value of an item, without currency, is based upon need and supply and demand.

• MVP

Like many have suggested, the current system is the best & most realistic. Depending on the situation, you can end up trading an AK mag for a kiwi. There needs to be no set value on items as it is the player/communities duty to put value on items. That is what make bartering unique and different.

If a real apocalypse took place, currency would not exist nor would their be value on specific items. If I wanted that Pepper, I'll trade you whatever I can to get a hold of that pepper.

Remember society has broken down, it's 3 months + into the Apocalypse, value is based on what the user needs to survive/cope.

IF there was a larger population.. say a few thousand.. I could see a currency become something.. such as salt (very old currency) or bullets (similar to cigs in Economics of POW camp) ..

but even with an agreed upon currency, fixed prices are still out of the question.

I think that the only way to really implement this, would be to start a group of traders who stick strictly to this method. If they are highly successful, people will naturally begin to adopt it. So if this is something you like, shoot for making a group of traders, and then post that on groups post. Aside from that, its based on need and necessity, and since its hard to start a trading post without being swarmed by bandits, it would be something that you would need to find a way to work out, since others before have tried, and after so many tries moved on.

I swear to god I posted a reply here

what is going on guys, I am going insane. Anyways, to repeat myself I am pretty sure it is completely pointless to hold this bartering system as it already exists in game. Every player has their own personal value for every item and players need to barter to ensure that both sides are happy.

[i swear if I have posted 2 posts please send help and call 000, I am so out of it ): ]