Server time (UTC): 2022-01-17 22:52

Military gear roleplay?

FUNERAL

Hi guys, I was wondering today after I met a couple of people while traveling.

How do you RP or what's the reason, of there being so much military loot around Chernarus? I met many people and their character's backstory does not contain any military related history, so how does he gets geared up so well in this "apocalypse"?

I understand that some say that there are these heli crash sites and stuff. But every second guy with an AK, Tactical molle vest, tactical helmet and more stuff like this.

I personally threw all my so called "military clothing" away and changed it to some more basic or civilian-like clothing for like, more realistic experience

I just want to know, how do you guys RP that? It just seems a bit confusing for me that every guy is running around the wastelands of Chernarus with military gear.

Shouldn't it be more like casual clothing?

• MVP

People have their own different ways to explain everything. There are plenty of military bases around - Pavlovo, NWAF, Vybor, Balota, the abandoned one up north, etc. There are plenty of places one could obtain such military clothing. Plus there are some that might be playing military based characters.

• MVP

Yes, but doesnt it seem strange that about 85-90% are RP'ing a military guy?

We can't enforce what kind of characters people want to play, but we can encourage. Personally, I feel like SA should have more of a survivor feel and less of a soldier-y feel like the mod did. but I'm also not going to question what people want to play. It's all about the execution and how they play their character.

• Sapphire

Well if I was thrown in Chernarus in an apocalypse scenario I honestly would want the most functional gear. Frankly I believe that would be alot of the military gear. Most of the Gorka camo jakets and pants are first off camoflauged. If I need to hide that is another layer of security I would love to have. Secondly they are water resistant. In DayZRP SA there is a big problem with getting wet. If you get wet, your chances of dying go up significantly thanks to exposure. So having some sort of waterproof clothing or barrier to protect yourself against the rain is equally important.

While the whole ballistic helmets are very far fetched and hard to believe someone would actually wear. Paranoia is rampant, this is a zombie apocalypse with bandits, cannibals, murderers and zombies running amuck. If you have a helmet that stops a bullet and saves your ass, wouldn't you like to have it?

(Given my character actually hates his, finding it very uncomfortable and whenever the opportunity presents itself he takes it off and wears a warm Ushanka)

It's all how you justify it, if you would like militaristic style clothing then go for it. If you want to look like a civilian then go for it. But this is DayZRP, this is where you make your own story.

i agree. i usually wear brown hunter pants, any shirt i can find(include tactical shirt) and chest holster with magnum with normal civillian backpack. and i feel more comfortable rp'ing like that. its weird that everyone i come across is military guy.

We can't enforce what kind of characters people want to play, but we can encourage. Personally, I feel like SA should have more of a survivor feel and less of a soldier-y feel like the mod did. but I'm also not going to question what people want to play. It's all about the execution and how they play their character.

Of course we cant enforce them, but I'm gonna agree with you on this survivor-like roleplaying.

But this is DayZRP, this is where you make your own story.

It's not the story that bothers me. It's the feeling I'm not getting. :(

I'd like to feel myself like in apocalypse, not in a civil war of Chernarus.

I'm seeing a lot of civilians, but for some its just fun to work as a group, and military is easy way to get started and find others to play with.

However, although one would question why there is so much military gear is seen on people. Do to a large lack of proper camping gear everywhere, since this isn't exactly a place people would camp a lot, it would not be surprising for people traveling through the world to find the dead soldiers that were sent in and scavenge off of them, like they do anything else they fine. Not to mention, many would assume the military bases to be a safer place in this kind of scenario then any of the cities, only to be disappointed.

So to see people wearing camouflage when bandits are every and carrying whatever gun they can find when zombies roam everywhere would not be surprising when this sort of event would happen. Now would they know how to use it or perform tactical maneuvers with other people? No, not likely, but with an AK or any of the other simpler military rifles and pistols, people could likely figure out how to use them. You learn more quickly when put in difficult situations for the most part.

Do I agree everyone should be John Rambo? No. However its not terribly surprising. If they released better civilian equipment like fishing vests, fanny packs, and more civilian types of guns I think more people would be willing to adopt it.

But even on the RP servers, you still want to be able to carry more than enough to survive so you don't have to scavenge as often.

There are numerous reasons for this. As someone suggested above DayZRP SA is somewhat new and a lot of people go some kind of military background at the start and others out of necessity.

If you are running around looking for better survival oriented clothing you wouldn't pass up a superior piece of clothing would you? Some do as they resist the urge for pure rp reasons whom I commend.

I must admit I am in military clothing atm and waiting to die before I start a new look.

Been alive for almost 5 weeks now.

But here are some other very logical reasons.

Camouflage which comes in handy to avoid being seen. Very handy for hermits like myself or a lone wolf.

The clothing usually have more item placement potential(pockets) which can come in handy when trying to survive and picking up anything that may be of use down the road.

They are all-season which protects you from the elements.

This will probably die down a bit once people figure out their character they are comfortable with including myself.

Cheers

In my time in the community here one of the most striking trends I've noticed through my personal interactions in game is a direct correlation between a player's super-soldier-y-ness and their maturity and ability or desire to RP.

As in the more decked out in military gear with ballistic helmets and Gorka gear and silenced AK's and a whole unit wanting to be a super space marine ex-Navy SEAL the more likely they are to sound like a 15 year old who hasn't hit puberty yet if they do talk to you and the more likely they are to run around like idiots not even attempting to RP while talking to each other in TS deciding whether to rob you and ignoring most of your attempts to RP and occasionally basically going OOC to say something stupid and immature in a prepubescent voice.

The opposite is also true in my experience thus far - the more of a realistic civilian survivor look and backstory, the more mature and better the role player.

Of course I'm not saying this is a hard and fast rule, but it is certainly a trent I've noticed.

The whole military thing is often an excuse for groups to run around and ignore learning to RP while just loot-whoring.

Just adding, remember that Chernarus was in Civil War for years, particularly with Insurgent/Rebel groups and Standard military. Given that, its very likely that civilians would posses military gear, and simply that fact that it was a war stricken nation grants that military items wouldn't be in short supply. And with Camo/Military gear being so helpful in this type of scenario, its no wonder that the survivors still around would be equipped as such. Kind of an example of natural selection if you think about it, those that wear the camo/military loot are more likely to survive.

• Titanium

Good that you got an answer. If you have any more questions to be afraid to PM me.

/solving

I know this is solved but I would like to add my two cents.

I have to agree with a few other people in this thread that, in my own opinion, if a zombie apocalypse were to actually happen in real life I would be heading straight for the nearest military installation. Firstly, because I would have a higher chance of survival if I were behind a big wall of well-trained, well-armed soldiers. Secondly, in the event that those soldiers had already been wiped out or had moved on/out of Chernarus I would still be heading for those installations as what little equipment remained would likely be of higher quality and usefulness than what I would find in any civilian town.

My character (and myself) went to Air Cadets when he was younger, so he understands the need for some kind of camouflaged clothing when trying to avoid people and infected alike. Just because he was a student at the time of the outbreak does not mean he would continue running around in his civilian clothing forever. It would become worn and dirty after weeks of running through the wilderness, forcing me to find replacements.

Of course this is all just my opinion, but I honestly feel that even someone with a little common sense in an apocalypse would understand the usefulness of military gear. You don't need to be a super soldier to know that avoiding death would be much easier if you were less likely to be spotted.

I went to army cadets myself when I was younger so your dam sure the first thing I do is head to my town detachment. Break in if I have to. Find a way to open the weapons locker. Take what I needed like sleeping bags, tent, roll mat. A couple 24 hour meal packs. Canteen. Then be on my merry way wearing full cadet uniform and jacket as its warm as hell and has a use

In IRL I'm a civilian. I own 10+ guns including an AR-15 (m4 but no burst or full auto) with a 3x5 scope. I have a full camo (hunting) getup. Pulling a trigger isn't exactly rocket science. Military weapons and clothing isn't rocket science. Unless of course you're trying to operate a guided rocket.. in which case you just need basic training..

In IRL I'm a civilian. I own 10+ guns including an AR-15 (m4 but no burst or full auto) with a 3x5 scope. I have a full camo (hunting) getup. Pulling a trigger isn't exactly rocket science. Military weapons and clothing isn't rocket science. Unless of course you're trying to operate a guided rocket.. in which case you just need basic training..

Exactly this. You in no way need to be a trained soldier in order to have common sense. :)

• Sapphire

A lot of people, including me, will sometimes wear camo clothing, not necessarily gorka helmets and that kind of stuff, but just camoflage gear in general, and i'm not doing that because I'm a soldier, or even ex-soldier, I simply do it and tell people I do come across that I wear it for my own safety, and the fact that there is a lot of it lying around in the country, and by safety I'm talking about the lower chance of being seen or spotted when travelling, that's of course not to avoid RP but when you play a lone wolf you need to take precautions :)

Guys, I'm not accusing you for that. :D I just was in need of answer that why are there so many military bases around chernarus. And I got my answer. :) And yes, it would be the first thing I would personally do as well, hit the military base in that situation.

I've just watched Walking Dead series, and the apocalypse there seemed a bit different. But in the series they actually took also the so called "military-like gear" from the prison facility. Helmets and stuff, so yeah, I guess it's okay :P

I've got my answer, thanks for the feedback fellas :P

• Sapphire

As a 'civvie' in the U.S., I'm planning to buy a basic tactical vest in a few months, if I haven't gotten my stuff sorted yet in order to enlist in the Army. Same with a helmet(thinking a MICH), possibly a Bushmaster M4, an Aimpoint for said M4, and a USP .45 Tactical from anywhere I can get it. Price I'm estimating? About 2 grand, due to scopes and ARs being rather pricey, but the vest is only $100 dollars from Condor. And pouches to go on it range from $7 to $18, depending on brand-name.

So, in the case of an apocalyptic event, it's not surprising for a lot of mil-surplus gear to be around. Factor in, for DayZ, that Chernarus is a country that's only 4-6 years recovered from a civil war and is still facing possible annexation by their Russian neighbours if the U.S. and U.N. were to stop aiding their economy and recovery efforts, it's common sense that there'd be a -lot- of military gear around, ranging from your basic U.S. Army and Marine gear, to your former Eastern Bloc resources, as well as whatever Chernarus might get third-hand or second-hand from China.

• Sapphire

As others have pointed out, camouflage clothing in a survival scenario just makes sense. There are times when you don't want to be seen, and wearing a bright yellow raincoat, white pants and a shiny red motorcycle helmet make you stand out.

Add to that the fact that most military clothing is designed to be able to weather the elements far better than civilian clothes, and you'll find that anyone with a utilitarian mindset is going to gravitate towards military equipment fairly quickly.

As for characters, mine isn't a military-based character, but she was raised as a prepper in the US. As a result, she knows a lot about hunting, tracking, first-aid, and survival, and has that natural "prepare" mindset when it comes to stockpiling food and supplies. She favors utilitarian clothes, but has a love of blue clothing, so sometimes her sense of wanting to wear something she deems pretty outweighs her survival instincts, though she also rationalizes this by feeling that it's safer if people don't see you at a distance and assume you're a soldier.

She also has no experience or training in the use of military weapons, and so prefers using pump shotguns, bolt-action rifles, and the like, as she regularly went hunting as a child. She's only marginally comfortable with guns like the SKS, and tends to stay away from AKs and M4s entirely, to the point that just the other night, I passed up an AKM even though there was a full magazine one room over, simply because, in her eyes, it's a weapon for a soldier, and she's not a soldier.

As others have pointed out, camouflage clothing in a survival scenario just makes sense. There are times when you don't want to be seen, and wearing a bright yellow raincoat, white pants and a shiny red motorcycle helmet make you stand out.

Add to that the fact that most military clothing is designed to be able to weather the elements far better than civilian clothes, and you'll find that anyone with a utilitarian mindset is going to gravitate towards military equipment fairly quickly.

Thanks for the feedback as well, but things said above have been said here before already, :) we got it figured out. No need to bump it anymore.