Server time (UTC): 2022-08-10 18:15

Nitpicking applications?

Guest Hazzers

Guest Hazzers

So I've just applied for the server twice and from what I can tell both of my applications were well-written and I made a keen effort on demonstrating my understanding of roleplay rather than simply copy and pasting what's stated in the rules page, however both have been denied because they lacked two minor details regarding cooldown timers that I've already read and understand fully.

It seems a little weird that applications have to essentially be copy and pasted albeit reworded sections of the rules page rather than actual displays of roleplay experience and understanding. I put a lot of effort into the application and went well above the character limits while still including relevant information that showed I was capable.

I don't want to come off as hostile or butthurt or anything, that's not my intention, it just seems to be a strange way of going about reviewing these applications. :S

• Legend

9813bd283e.png

It´s good that you understand how every rule works.

Your job is it to explain it to us, so we know you actually understand the rules. Very simple.

If you need help, ask members of Staff. Show them your application, they will tell you what you need to add if something is missing.

Edit: Oh, and explain them with your own words. Do not copy and paste.

Guest Hazzers

I understand that's how it works and that's what seems odd to me. Wouldn't better RPers gain entry if the application review process focused on roleplay itself and what it entails rather than tiny nuances of the rules such as the *exact* amount of time you must wait while under an NLR grace period or the fact I didn't exactly specify when you can take revenge following a hostile action when I'd already alluded to it and made my understanding obvious?

Anyone can reword the rules page after all... Surely it should be more tailored towards the fact that roleplay is about character development, stories, and immersing yourself within another life.

hey just saying that i changed my ign because i was kicked for having a famous name and so i changed it on here but i didnt really know where to post it but my friend just told me to post it somewhere :P sorry for disturbing this thread, im fairly new to this

• Legend

I understand that's how it works and that's what seems odd to me. Wouldn't better RPers gain entry if the application review process focused on roleplay itself and what it entails rather than tiny nuances of the rules such as the *exact* amount of time you must wait while under an NLR grace period or the fact I didn't exactly specify when you can take revenge following a hostile action when I'd already alluded to it and made my understanding obvious?

Anyone can reword the rules page after all... Surely it should be more tailored towards the fact that roleplay is about character development, stories, and immersing yourself within another life.

If only it was that easy... :)

Because we have bandits and hostile people aswell, which was and will always be part of DayZRP, we have to be sure everyone understand the rules.

Just because you are a great RP´er with a great Backstory does not mean you will play by the rules.

We have to draw the line between Game and realistic Rp.

Same goes the other way: Just because your application was correct does not mean you are a great RP´er or will play by the rules.

We have a standard protocoll we follow on the whitelists. This means, every Admin rejects/accepts for the same reasons.

If you would know how many false explanations of the rules we get everyday in the whitelists, it maybe would be more clear why we are that strict.

In the End we can argue back and forth, but it will not change the fact that the whitelist will not change for now and that you have to be specific in the rules, so we know that you actually understood them.

We already have a few things in mind to change the whitelist application-process. Have a look here and maybe give your opinion: LINK

I can understand that this is frustrating because we are very strict, but we have to be and we have to follow the protocoll. You are not the first one and you will not be the last one that got rejected.

As I said, feel free to join Ts and get help BEFORE you send in your next application.

Guest Hazzers

Thank you for the detailed and polite response! Now that you've laid the

facts out for me I understand where you're coming from. I've run a few

serious RP servers (based in Garry's Mod though) and I know what it's

like to be swarmed by applications on a daily basis, though my communities

were definitely not as successful as this one.

I suppose I'm just frustrated that my application was denied based on the

lack of two tiny details, but the strictness is probably necessary

considering the amount of applications you receive.

I only get one last try at applying, right?

• Legend

Yes, if you got rejected twice you have one last chance. I am always willing to help, like every other member of Staff.

And, you are very welcome :)

Join Ts if you want.

Guest Hazzers

Yes, if you got rejected twice you have one last chance. I am always willing to help, like every other member of Staff.

Join Ts if you want.

Oh okay, guess I'll have to take a big crack at this after work then. Is there any chance I could PM you the link to what I've written so far and you could give me some criticism? :)

• Legend

Join Ts if you want.

Oh okay, guess I'll have to take a big crack at this after work then. Is there any chance I could PM you the link to what I've written so far and you could give me some criticism? :)

Yes, of course.

I'm willing to say how I did it though Terra would probably be more help. I mainly just turned some music on and just went to town on writing. I stopped whenever I felt I had too much. Then I went through and skimmed it and compared my explanation of the rules to the exact wording of the rules. If I felt that I missed something, I added it. I never removed anything as "unnecessary" despite my temptation to do so. As a student you are often taught to remove unnecessary details but what you may consider unnecessary may or may not be in an Admin's eyes. So I just kept it in and decided they would just ignore it if they considered it unneeded.

I made sure I never gave a word for word definition of the rules either. If I noticed that I did, I would erase the sentence, or paragraph if I was that bad though I never had to, and simply rewrite it as what my brain remembers it as. I found that if I did that then it turned out different enough from the written rules that it was fine.

I don't remember much else about what I did on the whitelist. I got in first try and I actually didn't put too much work into my application over all compared to my usual writing assignments. I put in maybe 50 minutes at most of just straight work and was accepted two minutes after I submitted it so I don't remember much else.

Don't give up! I was disheartened after my first rejection, but I shall prevail! I like to look at it this way: I'm gonna know the rules REALLY WELL because of this... repetition brings remembering.

On a humorous note, being rejected kinda reminds me of this:

[video=youtube]

• MVP

So I've just applied for the server twice and from what I can tell both of my applications were well-written and I made a keen effort on demonstrating my understanding of roleplay rather than simply copy and pasting what's stated in the rules page, however both have been denied because they lacked two minor details regarding cooldown timers that I've already read and understand fully.

It seems a little weird that applications have to essentially be copy and pasted albeit reworded sections of the rules page rather than actual displays of roleplay experience and understanding. I put a lot of effort into the application and went well above the character limits while still including relevant information that showed I was capable.

I don't want to come off as hostile or butthurt or anything, that's not my intention, it just seems to be a strange way of going about reviewing these applications. :S

It is the best way to go around with correcting applications, like Terra said, a great RPer isn't necessarily someone who follows the rules. The reason that it can seem nitpicking is to make sure you have a FULL understanding of the rules before joining the game and "Potentially" ruining someone's experience with your limited knowledge of the rules.

I wish you luck with your last chance and recommend you get staff & community help from it. Look over the parts you got rejected for, and add them in. If you do not understand something, ask someone to clarify it for you.

Good Luck :)

• Sapphire

Big thanks to Terra and you other guys that posted for helping me out, should have a much better chance of being accepted now. :)

Good luck! Keep reading those rules even after you apply as it's good to keep them fresh.

Also from a roleplay stand point make sure to read through this

http://www.dayzrp.com/lore-sa

I wish you the best of luck! It sounds like you have a lot of passion to get a chance to come on here and role-play, and I know everyone would love to see that enthusiasm on the servers!

Being rejected is what stops me donating atm tbh, id rather my first application get looked at and go either way and then from that I can make the decision whether to drop 25 dollars on something I can play on... or if im rejected (and fair enough I know that its no guarantee) that would be money down the drain as such.

• Sapphire

When an application to a gaming community is more strict than a lecturer grading my work, I have to hope there's a good explanation. ;)

They want quality members, not a bunch of immature people coming into the server and shooting everyone up. They make it difficult so people that can't write, read, or understand the questions will give up and not sign up. The 'strict' you are talking about is important. Without it, there will be no order. Without order, there would be no DayZRP. In order for the staff and admins to really get the best people is to be strict, because they don't want to end up banning someone that they accepted, later on.
  • Legend

When an application to a gaming community is more strict than a lecturer grading my work, I have to hope there's a good explanation. ;)

University grading is a scale. Here it is pass/fail.

Also unless something is very wrong with your university that is extreme.

You have all the terms in the website descriptions, who can help you guessing why application is "strict". DayZRP is a heavy and realistic Roleplay server. Roleplayer "addicts" come here for a single reason : to have that immersion DayZ developpers promised, and players on public server can't provide at all.

DayZ is a cooperative, survival game so for sure, we don't want anyone who came and play it like a FPS / TPS. That's why the whitelist application exists. That's why all the rules exists. They put limits to be sure everyone can play DayZ like it is meant to be played.

Passphrase for proving you have read the rules, main rules explanation to be sure you understand the main rules, the ones who makes DayRP the perfect place to Roleplaying. If you can't understand that our community needs to be that strict with newcomers to keep that RP heaven standing, well...

Guest Doug Quade

From what I am reading, I am probably going to create a new app, as I am probably going to get rejected., I did not realize the full level of detail that is expected. Granted I havent gone below 165-ish in que since I applied so I think I have some time :)

To the OP. I can certainly understand your frustration. I just submitted my app for the 3rd time. My previous 2 were rejected for the same reasons yours were.

The thing is man, when I read what I wrote I realized that I did leave out the information they mentioned about the timers. Remember they don't want us to just paraphrase the rules. They want us to write it like we were explaining it to someone else that doesn't know the rules. That means every component has to be explained. If I tell a new guy that they can't go back to the area of their death for 90 min, it's important that I also mention that it includes 1 km around that too. Rules here are important so its critical that we are clear on all of them.

If you put in effort you will not be rejected. You will not NEED to donate for a spot in the queue. (Thought you should because this communtiy is pretty ace).

Do not omit anything. Do not skip details. Review and proof read your application. Have somebody else proof read. Do not get lazy.

By simply explaining the rules and examples accurately I had done 2.5 - 3x the minimum character limit. (500 chars was the minimum. I had written upwards of a 1000). This wasn't even intentional.

I submitted and a few hours later I was accepted (albeit I applied an hour or two after applications had just opened to the public earlier this week).

My point is there aren't any tricks or loopholes to the application process. Do it properly and you'll get accepted. Do it well (which won't be hard if you actually WANT to play on these servers) and you'll be accepted quickly. Do it lazily, cut corners and you'll find yourself waiting for weeks or being rejected.