Server time (UTC): 2022-09-28 06:59

The unluckiest exchange student in history

Good day kind sir, my name is Peter, I'm 24 and I was born and raised in jolly old England.

Before the world went to pot I was attending Cambridge University and had been studying Chernarussian Literature. Unfortunately, I had signed myself up for a student exchange program which paired me with a family living in the small town of Dolina, which was where my favourite author had been raised.

My intention was to immerse myself in the culture of Chernarussian life, to better understand the thought processes behind my favourite story teller.

Shortly after I touched down at the airport, while waiting for my sponsor family to come pick me up, I noticed some other passengers crowding around a small television behind the bar I was sat at. Curious, I moved closer to see what all the fuss was about.

My Chernarussian wasn't so great, I was always better at reading it than speaking the language so I couldn't quite make out the entire story but from what I could gleam it was something about violent attacks and lots of people were dead.

A short time passed, with more and more people coming to stand around this tiny television, looks of shock and horror were clear on their faces. I couldn't stand it any more and I finally plucked up the courage to try and ask someone what had happened. With my limited knowledge of spoken Chernarussian I attempted to ask the bartender what the news story was covering. Thankfully he realized I wasn't a native speaker and responded in his attempt at English, "The dead are risen" he said. I assumed something had been lost in the translation so I repeated him and asked if he had made a mistake. He hadn't.

Not a moment after I had repeated the bartender, there was a loud crashing of glass that sounded like it was very close. The population of the bar had become quite large by this point and almost in unison we turned from looking at the television towards the location of the smashed glass. What I saw will stay with me for my entire life. It was people, but they were different.

Screams and cries of help echoed throughout my head, pounding like a one man band playing too many instruments. The disfigured bodies of fellow passengers were littering the area, the man I had sat next to on the plane was now in several pieces. Those violent people seemed almost corpse-like, skin was hanging off of their faces and blood seemed to be dripping from every orifice. I had never seen anything so grotesque in all my life, and it probably wouldn't be beaten by anything I saw again.

I couldn't move. I knew I had to run, run or die, but my body wasn't doing what it should in this situation. I was never a very brave man, in fact I had never been in a fight. I had always told myself that I was either just very lucky or I was smart enough to avoid those sort of people that tended to start altercations, probably the former though as the latter would have meant I had actively gone out of my way to distance myself. This wasn't a fight though, this was a massacre. I couldn't just stand in place any more, they were getting closer. I could see the rage in their eyes, they were coming for me. So I ran.

---

It's been a little over a month since the quarantine was put in place and I find myself in the middle of the wilderness, constantly running for my life. In perpetual fear of coming across one of those...things. The people I have met since the infection spread have been kind to me but I have been trying to avoid staying in a group for too long. A large group seems to attract the dead more readily than moving on one's own.

I find it hard to keep well nourished as most of the food has ran out and what I have been able to find tends to be either rotten or canned, which is a bit of a nuisance as can openers seem to be rather scarce and are made of inferior materials leading them to damage rather easily. Luckily, most of the towns around Chernarus have working water pumps. I wouldn't know what I would do when or if they become unusable.

My time as an Air Cadet has had some uses, they taught me how to forage for berries, start fires, and how to move relatively unseen and unheard. However, they never prepared me for killing a person. The people I run in to keep telling me the dead aren't real people any more, but I can't accept that.

They were mothers, fathers, sons and daughters. I can't accept that...

---

Today I came across a series of apartment blocks, a sign of civilization I didn't think I would see again. I had been running for so long and the forests of Chernarus can be so dense, it is easy to end up walking in circles for days and I am almost certain I passed that same stump more than once. It's hard to remember the life I came from, those I had left behind in England. I try to think of my parents every day, but their faces are getting harder to recall. Sure it hadn't actually been that long since the infection hit, but a day in this new world felt like a lifetime.

I heard a gunshot, it was very loud. If I were to hazard a guess I would say it was probably a shotgun, but I couldn't be sure. This was the closest I had been to another survivor in weeks and I just ran, I think the solitude is getting to me.

I see more of the infected every day, they seem to be everywhere. I still can't bring myself to harm them, I find it easier to run. They appear to have lost some cognitive functions as I have been able to lock them inside houses and sheds, they can't even use a door. Maybe they aren't people any more. No, I can't think like that, how would I be able to live with myself knowing I took a human life.

• MVP

Maybe a little explanation of how he felt when he saw the zombies for the first time would be nice? Cause right now it jumps from when they break through the glass, to the quarantine... and it might be interesting to hear what your character has to say about them for your application c:

Other than that, I think the rest of it flows pretty nicely and I think it's quite good! Good luck with your application!

Maybe a little explanation of how he felt when he saw the zombies for the first time would be nice? Cause right now it jumps from when they break through the glass, to the quarantine... and it might be interesting to hear what your character has to say about them for your application c:

Other than that, I think the rest of it flows pretty nicely and I think it's quite good! Good luck with your application!

Thanks for the reply! I was trying to build a little dramatic tension for the admin who was reading it with the skip, hoping he/she would be interested in hearing more about the plight of the unlucky student. I shall add some more and edit this when I have finished it.

The feedback is much appreciated and well thought out, thanks a lot :D

• Sapphire

-snip-

They were mothers, fathers, sons and daughters. I can't accept that...

Nicely done. I always find it interesting when characters have a tough time killing the undead, definitely adds to the realism.