Server time (UTC): 2022-09-27 01:57

Disguises

Zanaan

• Event Master

While waiting until I can reapply (didn't realize the extent to which I have to define KoS, but that's fine and an easy fix) I was thinking about character interactions, and there is one thing I have been wondering about, but cannot find explicitly stated in the rules.

If my character is being pursued by others for reasons (let's just say hostile for example) and manages to give them the slip long enough to disguise himself (thinking separate clothes and a mask to obscure identity), could I have the character pretend to be another person? Even lie about his name and alter his voice to protect him/herself from the pursuers?

And if that is the case could they also retaliate under their assumed identity against the pursuers if given the opportunity, provided that KoS bylaws had been established prior, even if the other players are not aware that the character is the same?

Example, a medic character escapes bandits, failing to comply with the terms of his capture, so his captors attempt to eliminate the medic, but the medic manages to give them a slip in one of the houses of Elektro. He then proceeds to pull out a cowboy hat, balaclova, and jacket from his pack and change into his fresh clothes before quietly slipping back into the street. The bandits then encounter him, and he identifies himself as 'John' using a heavy southern accent, and offers them help. They discuss the fleeing medic for awhile, and he agrees to help them find the medic, then once their guard is lowered eliminates the bandits through hostile actions in retaliation for their shooting at him as he fled before.

The question is would that situation be considered legal, or baiting for retaliation? (assuming again of course you can have your character lie/disguise their identity to begin with)

• MVP

That's totally fine man, even if you were wearing the same clothes you could claim to be someone else and sport a different name for the time being so you can save your own life. I remember running around with a mask and a cowboy hat in the mod saying that I was someone else because I needed to hide from a group of guys. What you explained is just being smart in that certain situation.

I suggest not killing them, as not all situations require you to use your KoS rights. Taking those clothes and giving yourself a fake name and putting on an accent and just leaving is not a bad idea.

Agree with the man above me, but I want to clear a point, if you ever thought about it.

Disguising and saying a fake name can do it. But "using" the fake name, I mean by using get out of the server for a second, rename yourself quickly and get back in, won't do, as it will be counted as combat logging.

• MVP

Agree with the man above me, but I want to clear a point, if you ever thought about it.

Disguising and saying a fake name can do it. But "using" the fake name, I mean by using get out of the server for a second, rename yourself quickly and get back in, won't do, as it will be counted as combat logging.

Should have made that a bit clearer in my post as well. Don't actually get out of game to change your name. Just stay in-game and say a fake name.

• Event Master

Makes sense, and obviously logging to switch would be an infraction, but I appreciate the clarification none the less.

• MVP

Do you have any more questions regarding the subject?

• Sapphire

Yes, you could do this, and it would be allowed. Now, the guys chasing you could decide not to believe your disguise, too. Funny thing is, depending on how far ahead you get and which clothes you change, you actually could end up fooling them. Unless they already know your name (like you're using text), then you might even fool the players as well as their characters.

• Event Master

Do you have any more questions regarding the subject?

No, that pretty much answers the sum of my question. I appreciate the clarification.

• Titanium

Glad you got it all sorted.

/solving

Yes, you could do this, and it would be allowed. Now, the guys chasing you could decide not to believe your disguise, too. Funny thing is, depending on how far ahead you get and which clothes you change, you actually could end up fooling them. Unless they already know your name (like you're using text), then you might even fool the players as well as their characters.

Well, if your attempt to fake an ID failed because of you being a text RPer (and so, "reveal" your name OOCly at each setence you type), tha can worth a report for metagaming.

• Sapphire

Well, if your attempt to fake an ID failed because of you being a text RPer (and so, "reveal" your name OOCly at each setence you type), tha can worth a report for metagaming.

It would be metagaming, sure, but it would be impossible to prove. They could just claim they recognized your voice, or your body language, or some other such thing.

It would be metagaming, sure, but it would be impossible to prove. They could just claim they recognized your voice, or your body language, or some other such thing.

True, that's why this is annoying as hell.