Server time (UTC): 2022-01-17 22:42

This cold, dark world

Emptiness. Despair. Words like these were all that came to mind as I stared at the broken door hinge. I should never have left her alone. She was only 12, what kind of father leaves his 12 year old daughter in a cabin alone? That's all that raged inside my head. My own stupidity possibly costing her life.

But she could still be alive. There was no blood, only signs of forced entry. I didn't notice any infected nearby as well which meant it must have been other survivors. That was a blessing but also a curse. Whoever they were, they didn't leave much of a trace.

I sat there, numb to the world around me. I knew I had to find her. If I didn't at least try, I wouldn't let myself last the night. I gathered my gear and set out, not knowing which direction they were going. Night was approaching, cold air following with it. The further I got from the cabin the colder and darker it became. Life was bleak, but the only thing on my mind was getting my daughter back....

• Emerald

Emptiness. Despair. Words like these were all that came to mind as I stared at the broken door hinge. I should never have left her alone. She was only 12, what kind of father leaves his 12 year old daughter in a cabin alone? That's all that raged inside my head. My own stupidity possibly costing her life.

But she could still be alive. There was no blood, only signs of forced entry. I didn't notice any infected nearby as well which meant it must have been other survivors. That was a blessing but also a curse. Whoever they were, they didn't leave much of a trace.

I sat there, numb to the world around me. I knew I had to find her. If I didn't at least try, I wouldn't let myself last the night. I gathered my gear and set out, not knowing which direction they were going. Night was approaching, cold air following with it. The further I got from the cabin the colder and darker it became. Life was bleak, but the only thing on my mind was getting my daughter back....

I hope you find your little daughter, i hope she's with someone who can take care of her, may the gods guide you and watch over your daughter.

• MVP

I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for more posts from you c: Keep it up!

" Daddy, what are you doing?"

" At this point I'm not really sure," I chuckled. Well I was trying to fix the hinge on the well pump but that was up for debate. I turned to her to see those lovely green eyes staring back at me, just as beautiful as her mother's.

" What do you feel like eating tonight Val?"

" I get to pick?" Her eyes widened with excitement.

"Of course, it's not fair if I pick all the time is it?" She stared off for a moment, pondering, as if she wanted to make sure she had the right answer.

" I want steak!" she proclaimed.

" That's my girl." I picked her up and put her on my shoulders. We walked back to the cabin and just before I entered the door I noticed it had been kicked in. My heart began to speed up, then full throttle when I noticed a lack of weight on my shoulders. Sweat began to roll down my forehead as I began to call her name.

"Valencia!" Only silence responded. My heart began to struggle to maintain my breathing, light slowly fading from my eyes...

It had only been 2 days since they took her. Sleep was a rare commodity, and when I managed to fall asleep, I was filled with fond memories of her that slowly morphed into hellish nightmares. It was beginning to take a toll on me physically and mentally. But I had made a promise. If Val was out there, I would find her no matter the cost. It seemed like morning was slowly making its way through the treeline, signaling the new day. I rose, wiping away dirt and tears, and set out to continue my journey.

"Val, why is there a potato in your room?" I almost couldn't stop myself from laughter but I wanted to get a straight answer from her.

"He's my friend!" she voiced with authority. That's when I couldn't hold myself any longer and began laughing like a deranged hyena.

"Well tell your friend to be ready for dinner." We were having mashed potatoes that night, so his attendance was required.

As I was about to leave the room, I noticed a strange smell. It was foreign to me, which worried me. I turned to Val and asked, "Val, do you smell that?"

"Should we kill him?" Her voice had changed somehow, a pitch too low. The question startled me so much, I dropped to the floor in front of her.

"Val, what are you talking about? Kill who?" Slowly, the room around began to melt away, until it was just us. Her voice was not her own, much darker and characteristic of a grown man.

"Leave him." At that moment Val began to morph, as if she had been infected, changing rapidly. I jumped back, frieghtened and confused...

I jolted awake to find myself on the ground. The sky was still dark, chilling rain making its way down past the cover of the forest I was in. I looked around and noticed all my gear was gone. It seemed my few hours of sleep had resulted in my own robbery. But how did I not notice? Then I remembered the smell from the dream. They must've knocked me out with something, perhaps chloroform, then took my things and left me to die. I still had my flashlight in my pants pocket so I tried to get a sense of where I was.

I had lived in Chernarus for over a year now, but being in the middle of the woods at night doesn't give you much in the way of landmarks. Feeling my body begin to succumb to the chilling rain, I began to run in hopes to warm myself up. For the first time in my life, fate was on my side as I found railroad tracks. Knowing they would lead to some town or village, I stayed in the trees next to them as I followed, hoping to avoid a second encounter.

• 3 weeks later...