Server time (UTC): 2022-01-17 22:50

There are some real scum out there!

So I am up at NW trying to find better loot and I walk into one of the military buildings. I barely start to search the cell when this guy appears behind me. Obviously he just logged in, but I just RPed that he was sleeping in the room and I woke him up. Coincidentally another guy logged into one of the other downstairs room and RPed as him being woken up. (Looking back on this now this should have been a huge red flag.) We start to talk and they seem friendly enough. I introduce myself, but when asked for their names they did not answer. (Another red flag, yes I know) All of a sudden a guy from upstairs starts yelling at us to put our guns down and put our hands up. The two other guys that I met started to cooperate and I followed. Then the other two guys from downstairs start laughing and saying that another fell for their trap and began to pick up their guns. They then robbed me and took my valued AK... I just thought I should share this story to warn all of you that there are some shitty lying survivors out there. Don't fall for this! 0/10 would not recommend

So I am up at NW trying to find better loot and I walk into one of the military buildings. I barely start to search the cell when this guy appears behind me. Obviously he just logged in, but I just RPed that he was sleeping in the room and I woke him up. Coincidentally another guy logged into one of the other downstairs room and RPed as him being woken up. (Looking back on this now this should have been a huge red flag.) We start to talk and they seem friendly enough. I introduce myself, but when asked for their name the did not answer. (Another red flag, yes I know) All of a sudden a guy from upstairs starts yelling at us to put our guns down and put our hands up. The two other guys that I met started to cooperate and I followed. Then the other two guys from downstairs start laughing and saying that another fell for their trap and began to pick up their guns. They then robbed me and took my valued AK... I just thought I should share this story to warn all of you that there are some shitty lying survivors out there. Don't fall for this! 0/10 would not recommend

Make a habit of using the program Open Broadcaster and record all of your gametime in DayZRP. Set it to record as soon as you log in and if nothing happens you can delete the video after to save space.

It is a very useful weapon to combat rule violations or bad rp etc.

So I am up at NW trying to find better loot and I walk into one of the military buildings. I barely start to search the cell when this guy appears behind me. Obviously he just logged in, but I just RPed that he was sleeping in the room and I woke him up. Coincidentally another guy logged into one of the other downstairs room and RPed as him being woken up. (Looking back on this now this should have been a huge red flag.) We start to talk and they seem friendly enough. I introduce myself, but when asked for their name the did not answer. (Another red flag, yes I know) All of a sudden a guy from upstairs starts yelling at us to put our guns down and put our hands up. The two other guys that I met started to cooperate and I followed. Then the other two guys from downstairs start laughing and saying that another fell for their trap and began to pick up their guns. They then robbed me and took my valued AK... I just thought I should share this story to warn all of you that there are some shitty lying survivors out there. Don't fall for this! 0/10 would not recommend

Make a habit of using the program Open Broadcaster and record all of your gametime in DayZRP. Set it to record as soon as you log in and if nothing happens you can delete the video after to save space.

It is a very useful weapon to combat rule violations or bad rp etc.

Not a bad idea! I'll look into it, thanks for the tip!

I have been in this situation so many times, its not shitty its just well played. I'll keep this note ;)

Lying to someone and betraying them? Yeah, that is pretty shitty...

• Sapphire

So, what you're saying is that there's a person upstairs, and when you enter the two guys log in and start mugging you with him?

I'd class that as ghosting.

I have been in this situation so many times, its not shitty its just well played. I'll keep this note ;)

Actually, that's wrong. If these guys stayed logged out and then logged in to "trap" someone, that's ghosting and is a bannable offense.

Who said they broke rules? They could have logged in and saw the opportunity to rob someone?

This is why robbing people is bad, you shouldn't have all those guys against you and if they where logging in then you need to talk to them.

• Sapphire

Who said they broke rules? They could have logged in and saw the opportunity to rob someone?

Except that their statement of it being a "trap" implies that they did it on purpose. If you log in and decide to rob someone spur-of-the-moment, that's fine. If you have friends logged off, lying in wait, and then they log in just to commit a robbery, that's ghosting.

Except that their statement of it being a "trap" implies that they did it on purpose. If you log in and decide to rob someone spur-of-the-moment, that's fine. If you have friends logged off, lying in wait, and then they log in just to commit a robbery, that's ghosting.

I don't want to start an argument here, I'm just getting my point across. Nobody knows if they broke rules or just logged on.

So, what you're saying is that there's a person upstairs, and when you enter the two guys log in and start mugging you with him?

I'd class that as ghosting.

No, I did not know there was a guy upstairs. He could have logged on or he could have been just hiding in there. The two guys you are refering to they did not immediately rob me. They began talking to me and being friendly and then the guy from upstairs came down and started to rob us. They acted like they were getting robbed and then when I dropped my gun they grabbed theirs and began robbing me with the third guy upstairs.

• Sapphire

I don't want to start an argument here, I'm just getting my point across. Nobody knows if they broke rules or just logged on.

This isn't an argument, it's a discussion.

Obviously, they could have just logged on, but the OP's version of events implies that they set a trap. I don't think anything here is worthy of a report at this point, but it raised a question: Can you use being logged out to lie in wait? The answer is clearly no.

In this particular instance, it sounds most likely that the first guy logged in, saw an opportunity, and then started the robbery before his friends logged in. That's all well and good, since it never turned into a firefight. However, as I pointed out before, if their entire robbery tactic is to have one guy logged in while the rest stay logged out and only log in once initiation has been made, that's ghosting.

Again, I'm not saying that's specifically what happened here, I'm just answering the question that was raised.

Obviously, they could have just logged on, but the OP's version of events implies that they set a trap. I don't think anything here is worthy of a report at this point, but it raised a question: Can you use being logged out to lie in wait? The answer is clearly no.

In this particular instance, it sounds most likely that the first guy logged in, saw an opportunity, and then started the robbery before his friends logged in. That's all well and good, since it never turned into a firefight. However, as I pointed out before, if their entire robbery tactic is to have one guy logged in while the rest stay logged out and only log in once initiation has been made, that's ghosting.

Again, I'm not saying that's specifically what happened here, I'm just answering the question that was raised.

That is not what happened. He did not begin the robbery before his friends logged. His friends logged on and acted friendly distracting me and acted as if they were getting robbed as well. Then they turned on me. I'm sure that if i tried to fire back at the robber thinking they had my back they would have simply turned their guns on me and killed me.

• Sapphire

That is not what happened. He did not begin the robbery before his friends logged. His friends logged on and acted friendly distracting me and acted as if they were getting robbed as well. Then they turned on me. I'm sure that if i tried to fire back at the robber thinking they had my back they would have simply turned their guns on me and killed me.

In that instance, there would still be a rule break.

First, while they are certainly allowed to lull you into a false sense of security by pretending to be your friend, if they shot you when you turned to attack the bandit, that would be KOS, because they didn't initiate on you. Since they were working together, it would also classify as baiting.

• Emerald

They all logged in. Op was talking to people downstairs who just logged in. 2 downstairs men logged in and we're friends with mr. Upstairs. It's safe to assume they were all logging in at this time and decided to use the trap. The trap being using the 2 guys down stairs as bait for compliance. Op is more willing to comply then risk the lives of two others. Seems fair. Good trap.

Lucia, your grasping at straws. Not everything is a scheme to bend and break rules. The robbery happened after all parties were logged in. This was legit.

Sorry you got robbed.

• Sapphire

Lucia, your grasping at straws. Not everything is a scheme to bend and break rules. The robbery happened after all parties were logged in. This was legit.

Sorry you got robbed.

I'm not "grasping" at anything. I said IF a group uses logging in to hide and spring a trap, it's ghosting. Perhaps you should go back and re-read my posts, especially the part where I specifically say that I don't think that's what happened here and that I'm merely weighing in on a potential situation.

Like I said before, I think in this case, they were just all logging in and decided to commit a robbery. The "trap" comment could be construed as intent, but just as likely not.

• Emerald

8a5e4655f6.png

Yes, but you seem to be looking for rule breaks with what ifs instead of hardened facts.

Ghosting is knowingly logging into a strategic place to gain an unfair advantage. These guys didnt do that according to the story that was given. I can understand your confusion, because yes they did log in, and yes they did take advantage of the situation before them, but they could of by no means known that guy was in the building before they decided to log in, and its doubtful they changed position on the other server to get into the building so they could catch him off guard. Is it possible? yes, anything is, but unlikely.

Sorry, you just came on so strong that i felt others may get confused by what you say, Especially since everything you say has been hypothetical. The last thing we need is for everyone to start screaming baiting and ghosting every time they see someone log in or every time they get robbed.

• Sapphire

Yes, but you seem to be looking for rule breaks with what ifs instead of hardened facts.

Ghosting is knowingly logging into a strategic place to gain an unfair advantage. These guys didnt do that according to the story that was given. I can understand your confusion, because yes they did log in, and yes they did take advantage of the situation before them, but they could of by no means known that guy was in the building before they decided to log in, and its doubtful they changed position on the other server to get into the building so they could catch him off guard. Is it possible? yes, anything is, but unlikely.

Sorry, you just came on so strong that i felt others may get confused by what you say, Especially since everything you say has been hypothetical. The last thing we need is for everyone to start screaming baiting and ghosting every time they see someone log in or every time they get robbed.

Understandable, that's why I tried to make it clear that I was speaking hypothetically.

I was specifically pointing out that the OP had mentioned them saying something akin to "Aha! Another person fell for our trap!" and the fact that saying that made it sound as if they were intentionally setting a trap using the log in to their advantage. However, it's more likely that the "trap" they were referring to was pretending to be friendly.

As for my adversarial tone, I'm not called the "Unofficial Rules Lawyer" for no reason. I tend to play devil's advocate when I see situations like this, and I'll often run over different hypothetical situations as examples of how the rules can be applied to in-game situations. Trust me, if I'm outright accusing someone of something, I'll make it very clear. :)

• Emerald

Understandable, that's why I tried to make it clear that I was speaking hypothetically.

I was specifically pointing out that the OP had mentioned them saying something akin to "Aha! Another person fell for our trap!" and the fact that saying that made it sound as if they were intentionally setting a trap using the log in to their advantage. However, it's more likely that the "trap" they were referring to was pretending to be friendly.

As for my adversarial tone, I'm not called the "Unofficial Rules Lawyer" for no reason. I tend to play devil's advocate when I see situations like this, and I'll often run over different hypothetical situations as examples of how the rules can be applied to in-game situations. Trust me, if I'm outright accusing someone of something, I'll make it very clear. :)

yes. But you are assuming that "Trap" is meant out of Character. It was said in game about the "trap" they set up. To assume that the man who said "Trap" in game was referring to ghosting in to rob him is more than a stretch. He did fall into a trap, and was robbed because of it. No rules broken. They could of easily just surrounded him and rob him, however it seems they did it employing Tact. There is nothing wrong with that and in fact it should be encouraged. It sounds like a much better robbery than if all three were to of just surrounded him, does it not?

• Sapphire

yes. But you are assuming that "Trap" is meant out of Character. It was said in game about the "trap" they set up. To assume that the man who said "Trap" in game was referring to ghosting in to rob him is more than a stretch. He did fall into a trap, and was robbed because of it. No rules broken. They could of easily just surrounded him and rob him, however it seems they did it employing Tact. There is nothing wrong with that and in fact it should be encouraged. It sounds like a much better robbery than if all three were to of just surrounded him, does it not?

No, I'm not assuming "trap" was OOC at all. I'm not even assuming "trap" means logging in. You're making that assumption. As I already mentioned (more than once, actually), I assume that "trap" in this incident referred to pretending to be friendly.

What I'm saying is that it could be interpreted that people setting such a trap are fuzzy on the rules, and may think that logging out is akin to hiding. I was referring to a hypothetical situation, and I said that. Multiple times.

I honestly don't know how much more clear I can be in that I don't think these guys in this situation were trying to ghost. I've said it multiple times in multiple ways.