Server time (UTC): 2022-09-28 06:47

Dayz 0.53

Guest Aquanoise

Guest Aquanoise

The devs tweeted today that 0.53 would probably come out tommorow, the thing that makes this update special is that there now is a hardcore mode for private shard, a cooldown timer before you can respawn (max 12 hours i believe) and best of all: admin logs, admins will be able to see who killed who :)

• Legend

Yeah, it's on experimental though and I am pretty sure (correct me if I am wrong) that all experimental servers are run by bohemia so... no logs yet.

• MVP

0.53 should hopefully hit experimental tomorrow and none of those features are confirmed for this patch. Nothing is confirmed for 0.53 yet so I suggest calming down and waiting :)

I would enjoy the logs coming out, but Hardcore mode would suck hard with all of the glitches out there. I don't imagine that it would ignore glitches. Im just waiting for the day that zombie stop becoming invisible.

• Sapphire

Man, I'd love for a respawn timer that would ignore glitches to be stated at 12 hours. Firefights would be really rare all of a sudden.

That's almost impossible, though. Most glitches still kill you through legitimate means (falling damage, zombie hit, illness, etc) they just don't happen under the right circumstances. It would be very difficult to write respawn timer code that is able to analyze the circumstances surrounding your death (did this guy actually fall to his death or did he glitch into the world?) and then respond accordingly.

Also, even without glitches, 12 hours is ridiculous. Considering a lot of us have jobs, school, and other responsibilities, death would basically mean you don't get to play for the rest of the day.

What happens if I log in, lag, and get killed by a zombie?

Or I log in fresh, get wet from rain, and am unlucky in finding a raincoat and die of hypothermia?

Or my client stutters for a moment near a staircase and I fall off?

All of those are legitimate deaths, but they're not deserving of being locked out of the game for an entire day or more.

Man, I'd love for a respawn timer that would ignore glitches to be stated at 12 hours. Firefights would be really rare all of a sudden.

That's almost impossible, though. Most glitches still kill you through legitimate means (falling damage, zombie hit, illness, etc) they just don't happen under the right circumstances. It would be very difficult to write respawn timer code that is able to analyze the circumstances surrounding your death (did this guy actually fall to his death or did he glitch into the world?) and then respond accordingly.

Also, even without glitches, 12 hours is ridiculous. Considering a lot of us have jobs, school, and other responsibilities, death would basically mean you don't get to play for the rest of the day.

Or I log in fresh, get wet from rain, and am unlucky in finding a raincoat and die of hypothermia?

All of those are legitimate deaths, but they're not deserving of being locked out of the game for an entire day or more.

This.

• Legend

This.

You could try going outside

:troll:

Seriously though, I'm among the most basementy of basement nerds, and I've been in favor of a respawn timer for a long time. Value for life. We've been talking about it for a long time, trying to enforce it and not getting far. This'll do it. I'm not saying it should be 12 hours, but ... well, I'm not saying it shouldn't be either :P

• MVP

I really wouldn't mind a respawn timer at all, as long as it is manageable by server admins. I feel like 12 hours is a bit much, but putting on a 1-4 hour respawn timer would make people value their lives a little bit more. Though, there is also those who die by glitches, so I feel like if we were to add a respawn timer it wouldn't be till people stopped magically breaking their legs and spines.

We got a little bit to go.

You could try going outside

:troll:

Seriously though, I'm among the most basementy of basement nerds, and I've been in favor of a respawn timer for a long time. Value for life. We've been talking about it for a long time, trying to enforce it and not getting far. This'll do it. I'm not saying it should be 12 hours, but ... well, I'm not saying it shouldn't be either :P

I admit it would be nice, once the bugs are worked out, but if I jumped in game as a new spawn (again), walked into town and got eaten by a zombie because I couldn't outrun it and then was unable to play again for twelve hours, I would stop playing this game entirely. Thats a huge pain, and not fit for the numerous accidents and glitches out there.

• Emerald

I had no idea that admins didn't already have logs that tracked who killed who.

Yes, it's one of the issues plaguing people currently.

How will this log effect the game once admins have the ability to see who's killed who? Will people be temp-banned and called to the forums to see why they killed so and so when an admin sees on the log that x killed x, or will it be business as usual, temp bans only given to those who are reported on the forums for deathmatch until a PoV is given?

Hope that make sense.

• Sapphire

How will this log effect the game once admins have the ability to see who's killed who? Will people be temp-banned and called to the forums to see why they killed so and so when an admin sees on the log that x killed x, or will it be business as usual, temp bans only given to those who are reported on the forums for deathmatch until a PoV is given?

Hope that make sense.

For example, if I have video of myself getting KOSed at such-and-such time, the admins can pull the logs and see exactly who shot me at that time.

• Diamond
this video right here shows some awsome new stuff for the update
  • Legend

I had no idea that admins didn't already have logs that tracked who killed who.

Yes, it's one of the issues plaguing people currently.

Hope that make sense.

It will work like it did back in the mod (before you joined).

If you want you could look back through some of our old formal reports from the time and see how people were called in and identified through hit and kill logs.

http://www.dayzrp.com/f-formal-reports?page=10

• Diamond

I would fully support a long respawn timer; If i wasn't the unluckiest man on the server!

yh but not 12 hours O_O mabe 5-10 min it would make sense.

it would making people worry about their lives and their actions

Hopping on the 'even if we had no glitches' train of thought you have there:

- That's kinda the point of survival ain't it? You have to be really really careful not to die. You screw up, come back later. I realize this is very janky and anti-consumer, but it wasn't a serious suggestion. Plus, you know, we can all act like responsible parents if the game imposes self made limits. All about that playtime value, amIrite?

- Glitch. Lag I count as a glitch, since we have this perfect world with no glitches in our little thought bubble. If we have no glitches, I'm sure we've solved lag issues, too.

- Your luck doesn't hold up finding a raincoat? Well, this is survival, and sometimes you just can't do anything about it but die. We can't all be the ones who live as heroes or bandits, some of us never make it. Ultimate realism of sorts.

- Client stutter: see lag, see glitch.

It's just a little wishful thinking here. I think it would act as an insane motivator not to use common sense if you have to face a 12 hour penalty for failing. In our perfect little lag, glitch and stutter free bubble, of course.

• Sapphire

Hopping on the 'even if we had no glitches' train of thought you have there:

- That's kinda the point of survival ain't it? You have to be really really careful not to die. You screw up, come back later. I realize this is very janky and anti-consumer, but it wasn't a serious suggestion. Plus, you know, we can all act like responsible parents if the game imposes self made limits. All about that playtime value, amIrite?

- Glitch. Lag I count as a glitch, since we have this perfect world with no glitches in our little thought bubble. If we have no glitches, I'm sure we've solved lag issues, too.

- Your luck doesn't hold up finding a raincoat? Well, this is survival, and sometimes you just can't do anything about it but die. We can't all be the ones who live as heroes or bandits, some of us never make it. Ultimate realism of sorts.

- Client stutter: see lag, see glitch.

It's just a little wishful thinking here. I think it would act as an insane motivator not to use common sense if you have to face a 12 hour penalty for failing. In our perfect little lag, glitch and stutter free bubble, of course.

Sure, all of that is real nice in a perfect world, but like I said, we have lives outside of the game. I work 10 hours a day, and I sleep 8. That means that, if I'm really lucky, I might have four hours a night to play during the week. Hardcore survival is thrilling and all, but there comes a point where you need to balance realism and penalty with enjoyment. If people stop enjoying the game, they stop playing.

In a real survival situation, you're surviving because you have to. We play this game because it's enjoyable. Playing for 20 minutes only to die and end up having to wait until tomorrow to play? Sorry, I'm not going to bother investing that much energy in the game if my entire evening plans can be ruined in such a short period of time, and I'm sure a lot of other people feel the same way.

• Sapphire

That's awesome to hear. Can't wait for it. I am always happy for a update to come around. :)

For a respawn timer I say maybe 1 hour would be good. Enough time to cool off and think for a bit. No longer than 3 hours cause that's just to much after that.

I can see a problem with the respawn timer at the moment, because Standalone is still in Alpha people die ALOT from glitches. So for now I think we should keep the respawn timer off.