Server time (UTC): 2022-09-28 05:28

Do people use walkie-talkies in game?

Oy

• Emerald

Just a quick question, really. Title says it all. :P

• Emerald

From what I've seen, not really. A few people do, but not enough that would want to make me personally carry one.

• Emerald

Ah well, that's pretty much what I expected. I'll still be carrying one around though, hopefully I will get a chance to use it eventually. Thanks for the replies, guys. :)

EDIT:

That's quite the original name there ...

• Sapphire

I'll be carrying one, I think it's an interesting aspect of the game. Though it takes two to tango.

Wait. Did you really register with the name dayzrp?

He is dayzrp mate

• Sapphire

I've been carrying one around since as long as I've been playing on DayZRP SA, I think it's a wonderfull mechanic and a new variation on laying contact with people, it's just sad that barely anyone has one .

• Emerald

Personally, I'm hoping that once they patch the radios so their range is more realistic (at least 10-15km across open terrain), the rules change to forbid using Teamspeak for in-character communications.

What's the current range?

EDIT: That does sound like a good idea, but I imagine a lot of people would disagree. :P

• Sapphire

The same argument for acre would apply to this. You can't force an entire server of people to use an in-game item to communicate with people in or out of the game. And if they tried to enforce it would seriously diminish the population and people would just find another way to communicate like Skype or a phone. It would provide maximum immersion but at a cost not worth.

I disagree that it's like acre. The presence of a radio on a player can be checked in logs (once that's possible, anyway), and I honestly don't think enough people would leave the server to hurt things. Hell, I think most of the people leaving would be the people less interested in RP.

And yeah, people could use private TS, Skype, and other methods to communicate, but at the same time, if they're found out using those, they get slapped with a metagaming ban.

• Emerald

And yeah, people could use private TS, Skype, and other methods to communicate, but at the same time, if they're found out using those, they get slapped with a metagaming ban.

There's a fine line between "realistic" and "unenjoyable" .. :P

• MVP

Personally, I'm hoping that once they patch the radios so their range is more realistic (at least 10-15km across open terrain), the rules change to forbid using Teamspeak for in-character communications.

What walkie talkies do you have that has a 15km range O.o

• Diamond

http://media.karelia.pro/57/5ac766b3bc5a5071674c05012d19bef4.jpg

I have one of these at my house soo..

• MVP

http://media.karelia.pro/57/5ac766b3bc5a5071674c05012d19bef4.jpg

I have one of these at my house soo..

Thats more a radio than a walkie talkie. The ones ingame have a tiny little plastic antenna and are more suited for close range communication.

Adding higher grade radios though? I'm all for that

I personally used to carry one round when I was playing on normal servers but never one had any form of communication from it.

Surely banning third party comms and banning people for using them is very hard if not impossible to fairly monitor, for example, how would it be distinguished that they are using them for a benefit on dayz, would you go by the fact that there is an organised group with no I game voice? In game radio silence tatics are not uncommon.

How would you propose it was policed?

I personally also carry one, just for the rp-thing.

if bandits try to rob me (hopefully not :P) i act like im callin help through this walkie-talkie...i know its not working just for the roleplay...try to scare them a bit or just to bring new stuff into the rp...

• Emerald

Me and my mate figured out how to use them a few hours ago and we thought it was awesome except for the fact that you cant really use them for long distance which is a shame but maybe that could be something that could be fixed when mod tools come out. IDK just an idea.

I always carry one and when I approach any location where I think people may be at, I check all frequencies. I know most don'T use it, but I know some groups still use them.

I wish everyone used them.

• Emerald

I'm glad to hear that so many do actually use them. :D

Next time I'm on the server, I'll be gathering batteries so that I can keep mine on all the time.

• Emerald

I carry one and routinely scan channels, but have yet to hear anyone on one.

I check in on it every once in a while, just to see if anyone answers, but I haven't heard anyone yet either.