Server time (UTC): 2021-10-23 13:51

Voice chat indicator

• MVP

This is probably more of a suggestion for the actual DayZ mod, but I wanted to suggest it here also. I'm not expecting anyone here to do something about it.

The issue is that when someone talks, you have no clue who that is, unless you know his voice or he tells you how he looks in-game. In real life, you wouldn't have this problem, because it is very easy to hear from which way sound is coming. I understand though that this isn't possible in a game.

What I'm suggesting is some kind of indicator above someones head when he talks, like a microphone or something. It could be very small, very minimal. And you wouldn't even have to see it through walls. For example, when you are in a town and your shouting to someone, you don't want to reveal your position. If you're behind a wall the indicator wouldn't pop up. Again, in real life the person could probably hear you're behind that wall, but DayZ isn't real life and I think it's fun to hear a voice but have no clue where it is coming from.

It isn't fun however when you are in a group where no one is trying to hide. In the Trade Post for example. If I say "Hey, does anyone want to trade weapon x for weapon y?", and someone answers "Sure, where are you and what do you look like?" it feels very weird for me, and it kind of kills the roleplaying. An indicator, even a very subtle one, could really help. You would have to look at the person, and if he would stand behind a wall it wouldn't work, but for those moments (the moments where you are trying to hide on purpose) you actually don't want an indicator like that.

What would maybe also help is different levels of voice distance (that you could set for yourself). Or maybe even better: the further away you are, the more quiet the voice is. This way it would be a lot easier for you to find someone based on what direction he's walking and if his voice is getting louder or more quiet.

What would maybe also help is different levels of voice distance (that you could set for yourself). Or maybe even better: the further away you are, the more quiet the voice is. This way it would be a lot easier for you to find someone based on what direction he's walking and if his voice is getting louder or more quiet.

Already does. Maybe it's a little too subtle, or it's something to do with your speakers/headset. I'm not sure how to implement everything else though.

• MVP

Already does. Maybe it's a little too subtle, or it's something to do with your speakers/headset. I'm not sure how to implement everything else though.

But you agree on the issue? Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's THAT important, and like I said, I don't really expect anyone here to do anything about it. But a subtle indicator seems like such an easy solution to me.

Have to say I disagree with having an indicator. This is supposed to be RP so you wodnt have indicators in real life. Also whoever is talking there mouth moves. As for the TP it just takes a little time to get used to all the people but it will improve your communication skills with all the people there.