Server time (UTC): 2022-01-22 04:01

Disable persistence to increase server stability?

Roland

Disable persistence?  

401 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Server Manager

So the constant server crashes are getting really annoying. According to our dev guru Tamaster turning off persistence could reduce the number of crashes, perhaps even half the amount of them. Worth to give it a try?

+ Less crashes, less interruptions and frustration

- No more fireplaces, notes, tents (they don't last for more than a week anyway)

- Random loot distributed everywhere, possible loot inflation and cycling

Vote!

• Sapphire

Considering the persistence is easily abusable currently since you can force spawn loot (as loots spawns within 1km of the thing you picked up) by picking up trash in certain areas like vybor military base and north west airfield which leads to them having insane loot explosions and doesnt seem to distribute loot properly IE it spawns stuff in popular areas like the above mentioned because people pick stuff up and less popular areas are left empty because no one goes there and never will because there is nothing to be had there.

Id vote for it to be turned off at least for now might even increase some movement around the map since people know stuff WILL be spawning in other areas now.

• Titanium

I say we test it out on the server that has the most crashes, just to see how everyone likes it.

After having a look through the server feedback thread, it seems EU is the least stable. So EU gets my vote.

If all loot reset everytime the server reset you would end up with everyone having AKs and a lot of other nice stuff which would mean that trading RP would be limited to non-existant and the amount of fire-fights would raise aswell, because everyone would be armed to the teeth, which would cause more reports, which would make admins work even more overtime, which would cause the admins to end up working very slow because of overburdening. Keep persistance on.

• Community Manager

Always worth a shot. Maybe try it on one of the servers first and see if it changes anything?

• Sapphire

If all loot reset everytime the server reset you would end up with everyone having AKs and a lot of other nice stuff which would mean that trading RP would be limited to non-existant and the amount of fire-fights would raise aswell, because everyone would be armed to the teeth, which would cause more reports, which would make admins work even more overtime, which would cause the admins to end up working very slow because of overburdening. Keep persistance on.

Actually to be fair if everyone has AKs which people do at the moment anyway since you can force them to spawn then you are less likely to be robbed for your AK since they are less desirable due to being so common.

But that wont happen anyway as its actually harder to get AKs on normal spawning since the chances of them spawning is the same percentage yet that percentage is only calculated once instead of everytime someone picks up an item within 1km of an AK spawn zone.

also fire-fights dont cause reports breaking the rules does.

Trader RP will always be a thing regardless somebody will always want something they cant get.

• Emerald

Until persistence is more stable, it is a feature that can be turned off for now. Possibly in the future it will be a more viable option.

• Diamond

I will have to disagree with you there. Everyone wont have high teir weapons becouse the chance of them spawning will be the same. Secondly, if everyone HAD the equal amount of gear there would in fact be less robberies since there would be nothing that you would want from them.

Cant we have the most problematic server (eu) with no peristance? That way there will still be a server for people to place down their tents/notes and what not and we can compare the servers with eachother so we can see how effective turning off persistance really is.

• MVP

I'd be sad to lose stashes, camps, notes and other persistant features to be honest. They really help promote RP a lot.

That said it would fix a large portion of crashes (maybe about 30-40%?) which is very desirable.

Personally I voted no but I can easily see the huge positives of both.

EDIT: I guess since I am called out in the OP I'll try to explain somewhat.

Basically the giant loot explosions you see at places like Vybor and GM consist of many, many different objects. When a player is in their area (and especially when directly interacting with the pile of loot) the server is forced to calculate and simulate every single item in that small area. It cannot handle this and the server starts to crash.

Turning off persistence would remove these huge loot piles and hence the crashes associated with them.

• Sapphire

They really help promote RP a lot.

I agree they can be quite helpful in a lot of RP scenarios

however id pick stability over a few features as I have confidence that the members of this community can still provide the same level of RP without a few small features for me personally i dont see the ability to keep a tent, fire or place a note as that BIG of a deal right now its something i can live without especially if we are sacrificing stability for them as you say.

That said I would happily welcome these features back in the future once the stability of persistence has increased and the features tweaked and expanded upon but assuming the persistence IS the cause of the crashes and instability then its too much of a loss for little gain in my opinion currently.

• Emerald

Not on one server, it would only drive people to the server without persistence for loot...

But if it helps with crashes, why not. (Too bad for notes :()

• Emerald

Maybe leave one persistent and take persistence off of another? I think that persistence off would be a good thing for now because it'll help prevent people from abusing the persistence by loot cycling at places like Green Mountain and Veresnik Military base. Plus there would also be less traffic in those areas because there would actually be other places to go, not to mention actually having loot on the coasts instead of the barren wasteland that they are on persistent.

• Sapphire

I say we switch persistence off until it's properly done.

Things like helicrashes or even police cars don't spawn on persistant server, which takes away the possibility to get certain gear, e.g. the smersh vest.

• Emerald

(Y) all the (Y)

• Emerald

I'd say for the time being disable persistence on both servers.

I will have to disagree with you there. Everyone wont have high teir weapons becouse the chance of them spawning will be the same. Secondly, if everyone HAD the equal amount of gear there would in fact be less robberies since there would be nothing that you would want from them.

Cant we have the most problematic server (eu) with no peristance? That way there will still be a server for people to place down their tents/notes and what not and we can compare the servers with eachother so we can see how effective turning off persistance really is.

I see where you are coming from. Well, admins should do that then. One server with persistensce one without.

• Server Manager

With the poll showing a clear trend I've disabled persistence for today on both servers. Go test and remember to post feedback in the server feedback thread. If we see an improvement I'll leave the persistence disabled until the next patch which should improve/fix it.

• Sapphire

does that reset your chars on said server?

Dont believe so they just changed the server settings not the hive