Server time (UTC): 2022-01-23 15:38

Having trouble picking things up? This might be why.

• Sapphire

Sorry if it's already been covered. I realize that my sudden return from absence means I'm a little late to the party, so if this has been mentioned elsewhere, please forgive me.

Ever notice how sometimes you try to loot something and it just...won't happen? Or sometimes you drop something and it disappears, only to reappear elsewhere?

Welcome to hitbox desync!

I only vaguely understand the phenomenon myself, but from what I've gathered, sometimes, your hitbox (that is, the entity that defines your character's physical form) gets stuck in places, usually on a door frame or staircase. You move client-side, but the server insists you're standing elsewhere. When you try to pick something up, the server says "Nope, you're too far away to pick that up!" and nothing happens.

Wondering where your hitbox is? Drop some low-value item on the ground, then retrace your steps. Odds are, you'll find it sitting somewhere along your prior route. This spot is where your hitbox got stuck. Returning to the spot where it was stuck tends to fix the issue. You'll notice that it happens most often in tight confines where your hitbox has the highest chance of getting hung up on things.

How to fix it? Well, until they patch the problem, the easiest fix is simply to sprint outside, then come back in. Or, as VittoriaK pointed out, vault or perform an animation! That will usually reset your hitbox. If your route is unusually twisty, such as going up several flights of stairs, you may need to backtrack a couple of times depending on server load.

This problem is more prevalent on DayZRP than other servers mostly due to the heavy load on the server from having 50 people playing non-stop.

Guest Vittoria

How to fix it? Well, until they patch the problem, the easiest fix is simply to sprint outside, then come back in. That will usually reset your hitbox. If your route is unusually twisty, such as going up several flights of stairs, you may need to backtrack a couple of times depending on server load.

From what I understand, vaulting, or doing an animation, also resets your character position to the correct one.

• Emerald

/moving to guides and tutorials

• MVP

You can also often just drag the item out of the inventory box to the right, then pick it up again :)

Fixes it like 80% of the time

• Sapphire

Thanks for the guide, i had this struggle too often,

but stupid question: what if there is a firefight and your hitbox is apart? 0o

Honestly, I don't know. I've never had the opportunity to test it with other people. If your character stays where your hitbox is on the server, and other players see it there instead of where you are, it's possible that they can shoot your hitbox and kill you even if you think you're behind cover.

That might explain a lot of the "shot me through a wall" hacking accusations we've seen.

• Emerald

You can also often just drag the item out of the inventory box to the right, then pick it up again :)

Fixes it like 80% of the time

the other 20% of the time its the server crashing, also right click an item if it gets stuck at receiving then either the server crashed or you internet connection derped.