Server time (UTC): 2021-10-19 17:47

What do you do when you die?

What do you do when your character dies?  

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• MVP

If you would take the roleplaying really serious, you would have to start over with a new character and a new name everytime you die. Not everyone does this and I can understand that. Certainly if you die within an hour it would be a drag to come up with a new character.

I haven't died yet (I know, fucking amazing), but when I do, I think I will go, or at least try to go for the first option. I hope and think that knowing that when I die and I have to stop being this character, will allow me to better empathize with him. In this way, death will have greater consequences, which is one of the aspects of DayZ that makes me enjoy it so much.

I see one problem though, and that is that I can't change who I am. Through text chat I can pretend to be a lot of different things, but in the end it comes down to the choices I make, and not my character. Likewise voice chat is going to be a problem. I know that I'm not good enough of an actor to pretend I'm someone else entirely.

I hadn't really thought about my current character, Izaäk, so he spontaneously became like me. This means that my next character has to be unlike me; at least in some ways. It will be hard, but I'll do my best to achieve that. The only time I'm not going to change my character is when I die before I can even establish what kind of choices I would make in certain situations (for example, before I even get to talk to anyone).

I'm curious what you do when you die. I guess most of you will probably keep their current character and pretend to have passed out. Which I don't see as a bad choice by the way.

• MVP

Well I will change my name if I have interacted with people. I use the same background for a while until I've died several times and then I make a new one. That is how I'm going to roll.

That's what I do (or rather what I'm going to do) too. After being alive for 3 days and making multiple trips with other people I feel like my character has had its life, albeit it was a short one. But I guess you don't last long in Chernarus anyway.

If I get legitimately killed (as in not KOS'd) then I will consider it a character kill and I will come up with an entirely different character and roleplay something else. I will probably still be apart of the clan I'm apart of but just roleplaying a different kind of character with different backgrounds, but still similar to the previous one, so it's going to be option two for me.

• MVP

I say "SONOVA BI-"..oh you meant in terms of RP and potential character death.

I usually go by the "knocked unconcious, just got injured, passed out"-excuses, but since I dont want to consider my character immortal, I follow a point system. And hang in there, this might be a bit of a big read.

Tomeran's character survival point system

Basicly it works like this: For every 24 hours of survived playtime I get one survival point. This time slightly varies depending on where I've been and what I've done. For example if I've been in a clan meeting ingame and just been roleplaying at a camp, then it generally means I have to play longer then 24 to get a survival point. Otherwise I could just huddle in forest and I'd get as many points as I'd like.

Other things that contribute survival points is zombie kills. For every 1000th zombie I kill, I get another point.

Humanity is also a factor. For every 10000th humanity, I get another point. And finally, for truly remarkable feats, like shooting down a flying chopper with a makarov(legitimatly of course), making a 360 jump with some land vehicle, using the hatchet to kill 100 aggroed zombies(in the open) in a row...things like that. That can also yield a point. Although I usually leave the judging of such "feats" to a reasonable second set of eyes so the judgement is fair and my ego and will to survive doesnt completly cloud my judgement.

From there, the system works fairly simple. I can stack up these points as high as possible, but when I die, I loose a point. If I run out of points, my -character- finally faces his/hers true death and I have to roleplay it properly.

Ever since I started roleplaying properly on this server(the mid-stages of the nord clan, just around the establishment of the very first outpost) I've followed this system. Although it might seem that this system is too generous seeing as Tom Anderson(Tomeran, my character) has not yet faced a true death, I'd like to say that its been really close a couple of times. In four occassions I've been down to my last life.

At one semi-famous time I descided that I'd be damned if I was gonna let Tom bite the dust, so I turned him into a grizzled "survive damnit!" zombie-hunter. The result was nearly 7.000 zombie kills and 55 (maybe 120 play hours) days survived...in a row. That wasnt easy, but the result was that I ensured Tom's survival for quite the while through my efforts. I managed to earn roughly 13 points from that after all.

The weeks that followed had me demoralized due to my unfortunate demise at the hands of Metaphor(t'was an accident though), and I ended up getting killed at least 6 times in three weeks. Add a few more to this in the next couple of months and an almost annihilated "income" of survival points, and I've now arrived at my net balance of:

3 survival points.

That's where im at, and I realize I have no real desire to get Tom killed, so I'll try the careful playstyle for a while longer.

Yet I will remain loyal to the nature of my system. If I run out and die with 0 points, Tom's dead. That'll be the end of his story.

• Emerald

I basically just get my ass up and move on, since I decide when I play a new character, not a bug, zombie or just your regular hacker/macro bandit

I've said in the past that I'd prefer the NLR to be more of a NCR - New Consciousness Rule - where your character wakes up with no belongings or memory of how he/she arrived where he/she did.

This would effectively allow you to conclude you passed out, were looted at some point by 'someone', and then dumped somewhere - likely the mystery looter expecting you to turn into a zombie or just remain dead.

And for whatever reason, you managed to avoid being eaten alive, thus you can get up, dust yourself off, and continue on your way - but still not quite knowing what happened, other than you feel like you've been hit by a truck.

Personally, I think dying and then 'having a new character' doesn't bode well in an RP sense. It's very disjointed and makes it hard to keep track of where you are in relation to others - ie: if you met someone before you 'died', do you still know them after respawn?

Hence, my take on how I respond to death, is that I just wake up in a haze, not sure of what happened, and just move on to business - namely amassing my personal items all over again.

• MVP

I'm actually kind of surprised by the number of people saying they start new characters upon death (not that there's anything wrong with that). My RP character is, at its core, an extension of myself. He doesn't die.

if you follow the NLR to the letter and assume an entirely new identity everytime you die, then i guess that leaves no room for clan histories, rivalries, even frienships and alliances etc?

given the estimated average life expectancy is (at time of writing) 6 hours 37 mins then nobody save a few people would ever know, or remember anyone else?

almost eliminating the point of roleplaying altogether, in a way. make sense?

• MVP

You're all right. Now that I've actually died (I vaulted over the railing of a 20m high tower -_-), I didn't want to change my character either. It felt weird, especially since I just got to know a few people.

When I respawned, at first I had this new character in my head. He was supposed to be distrustful, saying to anyone who would come close to back off or you'll get a bullet in your head. I soon found out that this is totally unlike me. It was also unlike my original character, which makes sense because that one, like Sky said, is an extension of me. When I managed to find Elektro I saw a lot of zombies around the school and I heard shooting. I went in asking for a blood transfusion, but it turned out he needed one too. So we both fought our way to the hospital, took out the zombies and gave each other blood. At that point I realized that I had fallen back into my old character. I guess it is inevitable.

I think there will come a time when I will want to play that distrustful character, just to see how long I would last, and what would be the better strategy in a scenario like DayZ. But for now, I will stick to my trustful, naive self.

• Emerald

Well after all this is an alternative universe where DayZ and Armaverse is set which is why don't extend my real self into my characters, I never actually extend own personality in any RP character. Of course being part of a clan effects the decision to start anew but it's not impossible if people RP, death is part of RL too and you mourn those who you lose. So why wouldn't it be possible in RP sense? If you are dedicated enough to RP all aspects of life then you can RP death.

the NLR doesn't allow room for acts of revenge on your characters part, i.e if you are killed then upon respawning as the same character you can't remember your friends, clan etc and you don't remember who killed you, either. not like on other servers where you hold grudges for being k.o.s'd because technically, it didn't happen to you.

however, it'd be a good idea to respawn as a friend, or even a relative of your old character, with a different history, maybe a brother (or even sister, with the upcoming skins..) maybe sharing some character traits so you don't stray too far from your original character's personality. you've caught wind of rumours about your brother etc's last known whereabouts and the possibility of them being robbed or killed by a known bandit clan.

nice scenario from an RP perspective would be playing as a bandit, attempting a robbery, victim doesn't comply, killing said victim.. only to run into their friend / brother etc a couple of game days later, looking for vengeance.

• Emerald

What I meant is that you RP death. You died, your clan members will mourn you and you start anew. Of course this won't happen because people don't want to RP death, because it would mean that in the clan you were you would have to start as the "new guy" which means that you might be the leader of the clan previously or leader of it in OOC, so you don't want to be stripped from that power. If people would RP death the clan histories you mentioned earlier would have more depth. There could be a memorial wall on the clan page showing all those who were killed.

And with zombies one hitting you trough the walls, stairs breaking your legs and macro bandits who are too lazy to let you live trough RP means, it is hard to follow NLR.

So yeah also as a note from myself...there are many things that break the immersion in some cases..not going to put any examples here but yeah we are all not actors here.

And with zombies one hitting you trough the walls, stairs breaking your legs and macro bandits who are too lazy to let you live trough RP means, it is hard to follow NLR.

very true. all we can do is restore the balance by getting the RP side of things right, eh? just hope other do the same. interesting point about RP'ing death though, not something i've thought about. don't think many other would go for it, which is a shame. maybe not in a game where death is so common?

• MVP

very true. all we can do is restore the balance by getting the RP side of things right, eh? just hope other do the same. interesting point about RP'ing death though, not something i've thought about. don't think many other would go for it, which is a shame. maybe not in a game where death is so common?

I've settled for changing my character after a certain time period. Certainly if I die because of stupid things like vaulting over a railing I'm not going to change character. But when I would've been killed by a player, for example in the SDS mass murder, I would maybe consider it. It would be a bit weird if they dragged my body to the graveyard for everyone to see, I would come back and say "hey guys, it was all a trick ala Sherlock".

I will probably end up changing my character only when I want to try a new approach that doesn't fit my current one.

I feel that a heroic death in the north would allow me to let a character rest for good. Getting a cheap hit by a supazombie knocking me out and killing me, then I wake up dazed and confused on a beach.

I guess its just if you feel that you lived the story you want to live and if you did so and died, well then its time for a new story to begin.

as a roleplayer. Ive made 4 new characters already. i cannot stand the amount of powergaming/metagaming.godmoding going on in this server. sure its a pain in the ass to make a new person.

but the best part is. your life is always different everytime you die...

replay value +10

"oh look a dmr shot me in the face, now im on the shore and dont remember a thing! lalalalalala!" : allofmyrage.gif

• Server Manager

Almost the same character, but obviously has no memory or any knowledge that the dead character had.

I think of it like this. In a tabletop game, in any game really, there is an element of luck, and your luck can go badly just like in real life. In a game that relies heavily on the skill of the player and not the character, there is leeway for the conversion between them.

I could play a grizzled war veteran who was the top of his class at West Point and had more sniper medals than he could wear on his uniform, but it doesn't exactly hammer that point home when I can't hit a zombie who's standing still. People tend to play more "realistic" characters or play characters that are closer to the vest, things that are more like themselves, if not in appearance, at least in mentality in some way. I won't get into the complicated dance of playing a (good) villain, but let's just say they fall under the same rules.

Now, let's say I get killed by lag, something that is uncontrollable and impossible to account for in any other real kind of game where role-playing is not only a priority, it is a requirement. Starting a brand new character, coming up with a brand new background, and molding a personality that is still comfortable to play but separate enough that it isn't simply the same character with a few features of his appearance/background/morals/mentality changed boggles the mind. It isn't impossible by any means, but unless you are the kind of person who prefers to create characters rather than play them I can't see the appeal.

What I would suggest is that you come up with a decent RP reason. The entire reason I started to wear the priest robes in game is because I died due to a bug combat rolling off a small ledge in Cherno in an attempt to avoid breaking my weak glass-like bones as they are in the Arma 2 engine. The way I explained this was that I ran into a group of zombies and was overtaken, had to wriggle out of my backpack and, in the process, lost a good bit of my clothing either to hurriedly trying to take it off to get away, or simply tossing aside what tattered rags were left over so I could find something that would at least cover me. Why didn't I go back and get my gear? Well to be honest with the way I was flailing and knowing how populated Cherno is, I thought it would have been ridiculous to try to comb back through the industrial district with the herd still out there, not to mention other survivors. I scrambled into the church which I know is fairly safe and happened to find a priest who had died in a relatively clean manner and took his clothing to cover myself.

It may not be the most fluid of explanations, but it works in what we have to work with. You can't exactly expect DayZ to play like a tabletop game. You also can't expect the kind of dedicated role-play that you would expect in a small group of people who don't exactly mind letting their geek out so they can get in character and not give a shit how they look or sound.

Whatever you do, if you choose to make up an excuse for not making a new character every time you die (And honestly this is what I suggest), at least try to make a decent and believable, even if somewhat far-fetched, RP explanation for your actions.

What might be a kill may just be you getting winged and dropping your gun, then pushed back by NPC members of the same group while trying to diagnose yourself and see how serious your injury is, something you would probably have to do at least without your backpack on. Leaving your things at a camp that is overrun suddenly by a pack you didn't expect is a good way to explain a death that is out in the middle of nowhere. You get the idea.

Just make it something good and try to get it to add to your character. Make your "deaths" memorable, lessons you were taught since you have survived the zombie apocalypse this long. And if the time should come that you simply don't feel like playing the same character, that last death could be it, it could end in game or simply through a story in the forum so that you can go out on your terms without a great deal of anger or frustration.

• Legend

Whatever you do ... at least try to make a decent and believable, even if somewhat far-fetched, RP explanation for your actions.

+10