Server time (UTC): 2022-08-10 16:43

How to React to Text RP

• Emerald

*Disclaimer* This may not apply to all of you, I'd just like to bring attention to those it does.

I'd first like to start this off with a question.. What is the first thing you do/say when you see a female in game, walk up and type in text chat? ... Many people think or know that it is a male attempting to rp a female, or just a shy female.

Next, I'd like to ask. How do you rp with them? Well, this answer from situations or people that myself and others have observed is anywhere from Amazing to Appalling.

Often times males (or shy females) playing female characters, suffer things from metagaming their names instantly and then saying "oh it says it on your nametag" (which the females were unaware they had on) or people ask "do you have a voice?" or "When did we start taking ASL (American Sign Language) classes?"

Example: Yesterday upon arrival at green mountain I walked through the gates and all seemed normal, most people treated me and my text rp as if I were speaking. But, a separate female approached and was stopped on the side of the mountain, when she asked in chat "What happened to him?" (at a few people around a dead body), the people instantly answer, mind you having never met her before, Oh hi -Characters name- this person just died. Then when she asked "how do you know my name?" she was responded with "it says it on your nametag!" (To this day neither I nor her have ever rped out having a name tag.

So this bring me to ask or clarify a few things.

- When you see a females name in text chat, it's as if she were speaking. You don't

instantly know her name (unless this was changed without my knowledge it is considered meta-gaming)

- When females type in text chat, you're supposed to treat it as if they were talking. Not ask "Do you have a voice?" or "I can't hear that female through the wall, I think she's trying to sign (sign language) to us"

- I'd also like to bring up that saying things like "oh, its that (name) girl who's actually a guy but pretends to be a girl and type. None of us appreciate it. It ruins our rp. And feels like an insult.

Example 2: There is Party 1 trapped in the church, There is party 2 outside, trying to kill them as they have initiated. Throughout this rp, many times things were heard such as "Oh, its that -name- chick, we know she's a guy in real life" or "Sorry guys, I think she's trying to speak to us in sign language, maybe she should stop pretending to be a girl".

Example 3: "Oh, I know that Lilia -vulgar language-. She pretends to be a female and types in chat" (This was said in game)

- This is honestly insulting and, in my opinion, bad rp. We work hard to attempt to provide good roleplay in a means we wish to.

Now, I understand that when we decide to pursue female rp, we open ourselves vulnerable to some back and forth or "dirty looks" so to speak, from some. But in game, whilst we are trying to have fun, rp what we'd like to, and enjoy ourselves. This not only ruins our rp and immersion (as well in some cases, depending on the insults it can be felt on a personal level) it also affects those around us and whomever you are.

To conclude. I understand it's not all of you, I understand the people who are doing it most likely aren't going to read this. I understand that should we wish we could probably at least write a report and get their attention. But none of us wish to do this as we believe in the ability of this community and it's ability to change and help those around it. So please, take a second to either 1) Help those around you if you witness this or 2) if this is you, either ask someone, use this, or be respectful through your rp around us as we are doing our best to rp how we'd like to and put on a good show for you, so please return the favor.

Regards,

Reeddreed

• MVP

To be honest, most of the clarifications you give seem like people are just doing that based off of text RP rather than voice RP, not because you are a female. You may just see it that way because you play a female character. Not so sure about the second example though, if people are actually doing that, that's really bad.

• Emerald

To be honest, most of the clarifications you give seem like people are just doing that based off of text RP rather than voice RP, not because you are a female. You may just see it that way because you play a female character. Not so sure about the second example though, if people are actually doing that, that's really bad.

Eh, yeah that's quite true. But I've experienced with text chat as a male before and didn't receive near the same treatment to be honest.

It just appalls me to have people say in game (a few times at this point) "oh it's "x" person, who is actually a guy in game and can't talk, maybe you should be a guy instead"

• MVP

Eh, yeah that's quite true. But I've experienced with text chat as a male before and didn't receive near the same treatment to be honest.

It just appalls me to have people say in game (a few times at this point) "oh it's "x" person, who is actually a guy in game and can't talk, maybe you should be a guy instead"

Every situation is different with different people. Some people may react towards the text RP being text RP or because a female is using text RP, but to me it seems more of a text RP related problem and people just not understanding that Text RP is an acceptable form of RP. Female characters just see the brute of this.

• Emerald

Every situation is different with different people. Some people may react towards the text RP being text RP or because a female is using text RP, but to me it seems more of a text RP related problem and people just not understanding that Text RP is an acceptable form of RP. Female characters just see the brute of this.

Yeah, I've changed the title for Text rp and Female rp as I still feel that some of what people have said and what can be done relates to female rp.

I understand every situation is different, I stated this many times in my posts, and maybe we've just been really unlucky. But if I were to give you a rough guess. I'd say 1 in 5 about people react to either Males rping as females, or general Text rpers like this.

Thank you for your feedback.

• Emerald

-snip-

So for people that don't know you:

Are you a guy rp'ing a girl or are you a girl too shy to voice chat then?

Couldn't get that from your text.

I am a male role playing a female.

As I'm a guy roleplaying a girl, that happens to me a few times. But the funny fact is, that happens to me only in what was called somewhere else on the forums, the RP hell (aka. Vybor and its surroundings). Elsewhere, the RP I had was quite good!

But yeah, people metagaming your name when you're typing, and it's really annoying. It's maybe a little piece of metagaming but, still, that can ruin the RP session. Of course not everyone does that; I already met RPers who can RP properly with text RPers like you and me.

• Emerald

As I'm a guy roleplaying a girl, that happens to me a few times. But the funny fact is, that happens to me only in what was called somewhere else on the forums, the RP hell (aka. Vybor and its surroundings). Elsewhere, the RP I had was quite good!

But yeah, people metagaming your name when you're typing, and it's really annoying. It's maybe a little piece of metagaming but, still, that can ruin the RP session. Of course not everyone does that; I already met RPers who can RP properly with text RPers like you and me.

Yes, I completely agree. As I said in the Original post many people know how to react to text rpers. Unfortunately, I feel there are some who don't and some who have friends whom don't, thus I made this in hopes of bettering it to that extent.

• Emerald

I agree with Namu, most of this isn't actually relevant to females as you make it seem.

Just a question though, why do people want to roleplay as the opposite gender?

I don't understand how it isn't relevant to the opposite gender seeing as people seem to have issues in game with males playing females.

Second, personally I like the freedom to rp as whatever I'd like and I don't see an issue with rping as a female. Are you trying to get at something? Because it seems like you're asking why do I want to rp as something I want to rp as.

Thats what I'm thinking: No offense to dudes playing girls but can you really complain about someone "ruining your RP experience" when they have to put up with you not talking and only using the chat?

Don't you think that could somehow influence their RP immersion too?

I mean i get why people want to play girls for a change but if you can't disguise your voice to sound a bit female and have to constantly type everything you can't really complain about such small things as people using your name accidently.

Just my opinion tho.

And to people calling you out to be a guy OOC: Thats a nogo of course

• Emerald

Thats what I'm thinking: No offense to dudes playing girls but can you really complain about someone "ruining your RP experience" when they have to put up with you not talking and only using the chat?

I mean i get why people want to play girls for a change but if you can't disguise your voice to sound a bit female and have to constantly type everything you can't really complain about such small things as people using your name accidently.

Just my opinion tho.

Well for one you are suppose to treat text like voice so the first part of your post is wrong. Its not required to have a mic to play on this server and there is nothing wrong with text rp, if a person's immersion is ruined by text rping then they had no immersion to beging with. Yes people have a right to complain about this issue as it is a problem....

• Emerald

-

People enjoy the freedom of being able to RP. I understand what you mean but given this, there would be what.. 7 or 8 females tops ever? Not only that but people enjoy the freedom of doing what they wish and rping as they wish. I've not broken anyone's immersion unless you consider typeing in text chat to do that in which I reference the last few years of the RP Mod in which everyone treated it as if someone were actually speaking and didn't seem to have an issue. I mean, if that breaks immerision then why do you have to initiate via text on V3S's other than they can't hear you over how loud it is?

• Sapphire

I treat it like as if someone was roleplaying in voice, boom simple as that.

I agree with Namu, most of this isn't actually relevant to females as you make it seem.

Irrelevant. People can roleplay however they want. I roleplay a Chinese butler. I'm not Chinese, or a butler. I see people running around roleplaying Navy Seals. I very much doubt they are actually Navy Seals.

What I'd like to give to this conversation is just repeating what Namu said before. It's not that you're roleplaying a female, it's that you're using text RP. Not to be rude or anything, but text RP ruins my immersion a quite a bit. Yourself and many others I've met do a very good job, but there is still the period when I have to wait for you to type and sit awkwardly in silence. I RPed in multiple MMORPGs where there was no VON or VOP chat, and that made text RP the only valid option, but DayZRP offers that, and I think it's one of the most defining features of it's RP.

You might want to look into a voice changer (on your phone or something), because I've heard some believable voices that were just altered on an app.

But I don't believe it's because you RP a female. It's that you cripple yourself and your RP by doing so (thru Text chat). Keep doing what you want, I won't tell you otherwise, but voice RP is a beautiful thing you should be hesitant to keep from yourself or others.

Because creativity, because the willing to change the approach of RP, because a lot of factors, to be honest. At a moment we have an idea of a background, and when building up this idea to make it concreate, we feel at some point that could fit well with a girl.

Just my opinion tho.

I made a topic about changing, or morphing voice to be able to roleplay by voice, because I thought just like you at one point. But the fact is, people prefer having text RP, as morphed / robotic / fake female voice would ruin even harder their immersion. So as I don't want to break others' immersion, I stick with the text.

-snip-

Well for one you are suppose to treat text like voice so the first part of your post is wrong. Its not required to have a mic to play on this server and there is nothing wrong with text rp, if a person's immersion is ruined by text rping then they had no immersion to beging with. Yes people have a right to complain about this issue as it is a problem....

Yeah you're supposed to treat it like a voice but that doesn't change the fact that it is text on your screen and you basically have to talk to yourself when conversing with a person using textchat only.

Of course it's not forbidden to use the text chat but it severely damages my immersion whenever I meet someone not being able to talk to me. I can't seriously roleplay with someone if I have to pretend to hear him. So much is lost when using textchat, it's just not realistic for me anymore. I want to hear their voice, their accent and how they say stuff - "Why hello there" can sound both dangerous and friendly depending on how you pronounce it - in text its always the same.

That's just my opinion, but I'm pretty sure its also the general consent on this matter here.

Or do you like to engage in long rp sessions with someone that has to stop everytime he wants to speak to you? I think most people highly prefer voice chat.

So I don't agree with you calling my post plain "wrong"

Of course it's another thing while playing women as a man. If you have a deep voice it's best to use the text chat I guess.

I'm juts saying maybe cut people some slack that have to put up with text chatting so you can have your female character experienc :) Again: no offense.

-snip-

Yeah you're supposed to treat it like a voice but that doesn't change the fact that it is text on your screen and you basically have to talk to yourself when conversing with a person using textchat only.

Of course it's not forbidden to use the text chat but it severely damages my immersion whenever I meet someone not being able to talk to me. I can't seriously roleplay with someone if I have to pretend to hear him. So much is lost when using textchat, it's just not realistic for me anymore. I want to hear their voice, their accent and how they say stuff - "Why hello there" can sound both dangerous and friendly depending on how you pronounce it - in text its always the same.

That's just my opinion, but I'm pretty sure its also the general consent on this matter here.

Or do you like to engage in long rp sessions with someone that has to stop everytime he wants to speak to you? I think most people highly prefer voice chat.

So I don't agree with you calling my post plain "wrong"

Of course it's another thing while playing women as a man. If you have a deep voice it's best to use the text chat I guess.

I'm juts saying maybe cut people some slack that have to put up with text chatting so you can have your female character experienc :) Again: no offense.

^Agreed. I can feign an accent and speak slowly to RP as a Chinese man, but if you have the most baritone voice in your town, it's a good thing you stick to text. I've met and RPed with Lilia in game, so I know you're a good RPer, but it does feel awkward talking to myself.

• MVP

Just my opinion tho.

Cavalry incoming...

Look, we're all but actors on a stage putting aside our egos (I'd hope) for entertainment and enthusiasm.

If you're not here for storylines, character development and interaction, then ... well, questions arise.

Again, the simple fact that people are too lazy to read just drives me nuts. Before DayZRP, where did you find RP? Don't say Minecraft.

When it comes to virtual RP (Not Pen & Paper, mind you), everything that was ever done on computers to promote ROLEPLAY was done via text. I can't tell you how much amazing RP I've had based on the intricate and creative words people have put together to tell a story that's literally created out of thin air. And yes, we had the patience to actually give the other person time to formulate their thoughts into something book-worthy. We didn't just rush everyone's RP.

Burgz, everyone has their own reasons. And trust me: They're various and infinite. I can't speak for anyone else, but the reason I personally play Amy Strange is because she is an idea for a novel that I've been procrastinating on for awhile (Thanks, DayZRP).

To me, it doesn't matter what you say, but how you say it.

Some of you might not remember who Lord British was, but if you are fortunate enough to experience the Ultima Online roleplay days, then you'll know what I'm talking about. Hell, World of Warcraft had some GREAT RP, granted you could find the time and place, with a group of people with an imagination as open and creative as your own. Not everyone agrees, of course.

It's as simple as this: Without words, without text, there would be no descriptions, no verbs, no actual interaction. We'd all just be talking nonstop. Saying aloud, "I LIGHT A CIGARETTE" isn't quite the same as creating a beautifully-crafted message, such as:

::Plucks out a cigarette from a crushed pack of stale Chernarussian cigarettes.::

I guess you could always just say in VOIP, "I AM SMOKING CIGARETTE."

But that's up to you.

If we decide to RP in text, then I hope your imagination isn't being lazy because most of us Text-RPers are doing our best to put forth something to make it worth you reading. At least, I do.

In the end, I'd rather experience some intricate text-RP over

any day. You try using a voice-changer that works 100% of the time while you act on a virtual stage.

:P

Guest Vittoria

Them fightin' words round 'ere, boy.

I just want to throw my two cents in here also, although it doesn't matter much.

In DayzRP from what I've seen the majority of people use voice chat, and when I mean the majority I mean out of the 50+ people I've met in the last couple days I can count on one hand how many people use text. I'm sorry that people saying that "Sign language" among other things takes you of out of your immersion (The whole "sign language" thing is kind of a shitty thing to say anyways, doesn't make any sense), but I can honestly say I feel the same way when an entire group of us are using voice chat and there's one guy who types constantly.

This is coming from a guy who used text chat continuously for RP for the last 5 years, DayzRP has been my first time using voice for RP and I've been enjoying the hell out of it.

Again, the simple fact that people are too lazy to read just drives me nuts. Before DayZRP, where did you find RP? Don't say Minecraft.

So people don't have the right to not like text rp because that's how it was done before?

I get it that you enjoy textRP, but don't tell those who doesn't that they are lazy because they don't like that medium.

• MVP

So people don't have the right to not like text rp because that's how it was done before?

I get it that you enjoy textRP, but don't tell those who doesn't that they are lazy because they don't like that medium.

With that argument, this whole topic should be moot, my friend. :)

This whole topic is about trashing text RPers, honestly. :T

Is that all you read from my post, Sten? Come on. You're proving my point, buddy, and I don't want to be on the bad side of the argument from you, especially. I respect you. Pretty sure you were one of the first people to give me love based on my Text-RP when I first joined. Emma? Trying to cut off toes?

To be honest, when I joined this community, no one ever complained this much about text RP.

Maybe I should just go back to WoW. :T