Server time (UTC): 2021-10-26 11:41

Weapon information & decent sidearm

-KG-

First of all I would like to see some of the statistics of the new guns in the server that cant be seen in the DayZDB/DayZwiki, like the VSS for example...how much damage does it deal? Is it true that AK SD rounds actually do more damage than regular AK rounds? (as the DB and wiki suggests).

Also how about modifying the damage of the 1911 & Revolver since they actually fire a .45?

as it is atm the only useful sidearms except the silenced pistols are the G17 and m9 solely because of their high ammo capacity, rendering weapons like the 1911 and revolver with 7 & 6 bullet mags pretty much useless since you have to use pretty much a full clip to even kill a zombie.

the damage difference between the m9/makarov/g17 etc using the tiny 9mm round compared to the bigger .45 is too small in my opinion :)

Especially the revolver, being a loud slow firing low capacity weapon that will get you a lot of attention as soon as you pull the trigger :)

Unless there is a Desert Eagle or something we could make a heli drop, i personally would like to see the 1911 & revolver deal more damage and make them drop in military spawns only :)

there is a big glitch with revolvers and 1911s. some people dont have their arma updated and they are able to play the game. those people have the old revolver and 1911 stats that means they can one hit zombie by hitting its body. most steam users dont have this. it got updated and it does not deal that much damage. getting the damage higher would balance those weapons between players. btw you are perfectly right those weapons should deal more damage since they are using bigger caliber

yeah i mean sure, headshots are a solution...but my point here and the reason for why i think they should deal more damage is:

1. they simply should since its a larger round, a .45 at close range is truly devastating...

2. Loud weapons that will attract a lot of zombies once fired.

3. Small clip sizes

4. Slow rate of fire (revolver) makes headshots on several moving targets (2. again) very difficult.

you simply cant afford to miss the head, if the revolver however could take down a zombie with 2 body shots it would be a viable sidearm again :)

• MVP

There might be additions to pistol arsenal (rifle/shotgun selection might get some love too). We have some suggestions but it's always nice to hear new ones with good justification (and link to armaholic download of course :) ).

Dunno about possibility of changing actual weapons damage, havent spotted that in files yet.

• MVP

Based on own experience and yes, i´ve shot both 1911 .45 ACP and Glock 17 9mm...

I googled to find the correct names of everything and i stubbled across this.

9mm and .45ACP is very similar, except on VERY close range.

A .45 (230gr HP @ 900fps) has a max point blank range (MPBR) on a 5" dia. vital zone target of 113 yards. At 100 yards it has 335 FPE.

A 9mm (125gr HP @ 1200fps) has a max point blank range on a 5" dia. vital zone target of 139 yards. At 100 yards it has 269 FPE.

A 9mm NATO load (115 FMJ @ 1300fps) bumps the MPBR zero out to 148 yards on a 5" dia. vital zone target. At 100 yards it has 283 FPE.

They drop off very quickly after their MPBR zero. The .45 is -35.7" @200 yards, the 9mm is -29.6" @ 200 yards and the 9mm NATO is -23.6" @ 200 yards.

Since the MPBR is so close and the energies are relatively similar I'd rate them as equivalent.

Bacially - After MPBR they slow down veeery quickly.

The .45 stops way faster then the 9mm, because of their weights.

So, on close range, yeah. 45 does a some more damage. Still not much since it goes way slower then a 9mm.

This is true, but you are overlooking the facts and physics about how the .45 bullet compares to the 9mm...the 9mm round is lighter and faster than the .45 thus giving it a higher value in kinetic energy, but it also has a tendency to go straight through the human body instead of actually stopping inside and dealing real damage. you want the bullet to stop and thereby delivering its full energy into the body.

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htweap/articles/20060201.aspx there i can quote:

- Why do American troops prefer the century old .45 caliber pistol to lighter 9mm models. It's all about "stopping power."

- Going into buildings, troops would often prefer to have one or two guys holding pistols, as these could get into action faster if you were in cramped and crowded conditions. At close range, you didn't want someone with a gun, or a knife, to require a second shot. And at ranges measured in a few feet, you couldn't miss. If the enemy was amped up, you wanted to take him down with one shot, because there might not be time for a second. Many police SWAT teams have stayed with the .45 for the same reason.

- The M1911 was better at stopping people, and that was mainly due to the size of the bullet. Technically, the "hitting power" of a bullet is determined by the bullet weight and velocity, and is measured in joules. The widely used 9mm Parabellum generated 583 joules, the Russian 7.62mm Tokarev (mainly used to execute cowardly soldiers, POWs or uncooperative civilians) produced 499 joules, while the .45 (11.4mm) only came up with 450 joules. But there's a major problem in just using joules, and that is how much of that energy is actually applied to the person being hit. A smaller, faster bullet has a tendency to just go through someone. This does damage, often fatal damage, but if often does not slow down a highly energized soldier. A larger bullet, especially a blunt one, will be more effective at "stopping" someone. Thus the popularity of the .45 caliber pistol round. Although it has less energy than the 9mm round (450 joules compared to 583), those who have used both insist that the .45 is far more effective than the smaller and faster 9mm. Part of this has to do with the fact that the .45 (11.4mm) bullet hits with a 60 percent larger (as seen head on) area, thus it applied more of that energy to the target. This explains the greater likelihood of the .45 caliber bullet "knocking down" whoever it hits. The same physics applies to rifle bullets (although they tend to have pointy tips, unlike the blunter ones for pistol pullets.) A 7.62mm bullet is 88 percent larger (head on) than a 5.56mm one.

• MVP

Now we talked about FMJ,

You can get a 9mm to stop in the body if using a hollow point.

It´s still not that big difference betveen MFJ bullets on 100 yards.

First of all I would like to see some of the statistics of the new guns in the server that cant be seen in the DayZDB/DayZwiki, like the VSS for example...how much damage does it deal? Is it true that AK SD rounds actually do more damage than regular AK rounds? (as the DB and wiki suggests).

what about this part? :) can we see the damage of the new guns? :)

• MVP

what about this part? :) can we see the damage of the new guns? :)

The damage is based on the caliber/size of the bullet.

The VSS uses a 9x39mm.

I don't see why an AKSD would do more damage than a normal AK Round. I'll look into the code when I can, but I doubt it.

• Emerald

The fact that both 9mm and .45 are similar outside of close range makes no difference to what their comparative damages are in Arma 2. The .45 is significantly more powerful... compare the size of it, look how much more chemical energy is being stored in that case. Also fact that the actual bullet is wider in diameter and thus less aerodynamic doesn't change the fact that if you get hit by a .45, your internal organs are going to suffer considerably more trauma than if you get hit by a 9mm.

About civilian weapons, what kind of weapons would Chernarussians have, comparing between the Czech Republic and Russia (where you could base its society)... What kinds of gun laws would restrict what kinds of guns being sold in the stores? What kinds of stores? And what types of bullets would be legal for civilians in Chernarus? This isn't "The Free Side of America" ya know.

• 1 month later...

I would love to see some of the guns from DayZ Breaking Point. Even just a few of them here and there would be great. Finding an SKS in a barn would be great, or anything along those lines.

• Sapphire

The fact that both 9mm and .45 are similar outside of close range makes no difference to what their comparative damages are in Arma 2. The .45 is significantly more powerful... compare the size of it, look how much more chemical energy is being stored in that case. Also fact that the actual bullet is wider in diameter and thus less aerodynamic doesn't change the fact that if you get hit by a .45, your internal organs are going to suffer considerably more trauma than if you get hit by a 9mm.

You're using common human intuition. Your instinct tells you "bigger hurts more", but the truth is that 9mm and .45 ACP are very similar in terms of lethality. In real life, a .45 ACP round has about 20% more kinetic energy. And guess what? In DayZ, .45 ACP does about 20% more damage than 9mm.

Both the 9mm and the .45 would stop a person in 1-2 shots in real life though :)

I would however love to see a Desert Eagle or a Magnum 44 or some big ass pistol to be added :P

A pistol with damage equal to the AK74 or Stanag :)

Actually in terms of lethality, the .45 would be much, much higher than a 9mm. The force on impact and exit are much greater. Where a 9mm might leave a hole in someones head, a .45 would leave a fist sized chunk missing when both are fired at close range.

Also, it is not uncommon for people to live through several pistol(.22, 9mm, .40, and .45) wounds. While damaging, the amount of adrenaline pumping through your system wouldn't even allow you to feel the pain until much after the shot, in most cases

Well that is what i quoted in the beginning of this as well...Many professional soldiers prefer the modern version of the traditional Colt 45 due to the significantly higher stopping power at close range, the small and faster 9mm bullet has a tendency to go straight trough the body, a .45 is more likely to stay inside the body and transfer all its energy into the person...causing him to flinch a lot more or even fall over instantly, which allows for safer follow up shots.

While I think the pistol damage should be higher, I don't think it should be as high as STANAG or AK. 5.56 and 5.45, and even 7.62.

I think 5.56 should do about 4000 blood damage, 5.45 should do about 3500, and 7.62 should do about 5000-7000. With 9mm being about 2200, and .45 being around 3000.

Just my two cents.