Server time (UTC): 2021-10-21 05:56

Roleplay at the Trade Post (a plea)

• MVP

So the new Trade Post is seeing quite the bit of traffic. It being located on the trafficed south coast is probably helping with that bit, and its actually pretty nice to see.

Once T.O.R reformed the outpost project the new TP became central in our plans for the wealth distribution of loot at the south coast, and tent destruction aside, things have been going pretty good so far.

However, with the new traffic to the TP and the stricter rule enforcement and server focus on roleplay, there's also been more roleplay taking place at the Trade Post.

That's definetly not a BAD THING, I love the fact that people are now interacting with each other more, but there's one problem that has emerged due to the fact that so many prefer to roleplay through VOIP.

The Trade Post area can become absolutly -cluttered- in VOIP conversations, especielly roleplaying ones. My experience with this so far is that it can quickly become quite annoying, especielly if you're also sitting and using teamspeak with your clan members.

This thread is not a suggestion or a vote or a poll or even a discussion thread, its merely a plea from my side.

The plea

Please consider using text chat more in roleplay, at least while you're at the trade post. Some may find this less immersive then VOIP and im not saying they're wrong with that oppinion, but for the sake of actually being able to understand what other people say, as well as understanding that whatever you say is heard by -everyone- at the TP, I think my plea is reasonable.

Also, it might be an idea to give text-based RP more of a chance(and this is a suggestion). Personally I've had some of my best RP encounters in dayZrp through text-based RP, and it always comes across very clearly, whereas the VOIP can really be...awkward sometimes.

Thank you for reading

• MVP

Hear hear! *Banging of steins against oak tables, accusations of spilled mead, good natured brawls ensue*

Agree 100% as a suggestion. It'd be impossible to enforce as a rule.

I partially agree but if text would be used amongst alot of people alot of disciple would be required for you to have a chance to actually read the messages before the vanish since the Arma II chat system is not very good.

I can see this becoming a bigger problem than voice to be honest. I have had experiences with alot of people typing at the same time making the text box more like a spam box (even if it was serious rp) the texts just goes away to fast.

Sure it's annoying with TS and stuff while you're in Trade Post but I think IC stuff should be prioritized over OOC stuff like TS. If you have a hard time hearing you fellow teammates in the TS temporarily mute the people you don't need to hear (player or TS mute) or you could just turn down your Arma II for the moment.

I partially agree but if text would be used amongst alot of people alot of disciple would be required for you to have a chance to actually read the messages before the vanish since the Arma II chat system is not very good.

I can see this becoming a bigger problem than voice to be honest. I have had experiences with alot of people typing at the same time making the text box more like a spam box (even if it was serious rp) the texts just goes away to fast.

Sure it's annoying with TS and stuff while you're in Trade Post but I think IC stuff should be prioritized over OOC stuff like TS. If you have a hard time hearing you fellow teammates in the TS temporarily mute the people you don't need to hear (player or TS mute) or you could just turn down your Arma II for the moment.

This is actually quite an easy fix. Open up the window where you type your chat (I use the - button) and then press the Page up/Page Down button! This way you can scroll up and down the chat.

• MVP

What Didrik said.

Its a matter of taste, but frankly I think I'd prefer the potential "problem"(that's not really a problem due to Didrik's solution) of text chat over having my eardrums bombarded by a hundred voices at once.

Even if I would turn down TS once im at the trade post, that's no guarantee whatsoever that this would solve the problem, especielly during the true peak hours at the trade post.

And I dont know, Murray might be right in some cases, voice interaction can be fun, but in many instances it can just be brutally brutally awkward. Not to mention blurry and unclear.

My preferance for text-based RP is fairly strong, something I guess that hails from my primary online rp experience being from mmorpgs.

This is actually quite an easy fix. Open up the window where you type your chat (I use the - button) and then press the Page up/Page Down button! This way you can scroll up and down the chat.

Ah great I didn't know that! Well that solves alot then I guess! :)

And I dont know, Murphy might be right in some cases, voice interaction can be fun, but in many instances it can just be brutally brutally awkward. Not to mention blurry and unclear.

My preferance for text-based RP is fairly strong, something I guess that hails from my primary online rp experience being from mmorpgs.

Oh I agree. Text based RP allows for emoting, which is heavily dependent in MMORPGs, but with ARMA's engine, emoting in text is a bit weird and given that the chat logs don't stay on the screen for long it adds to it.

That said, when its busy, I'll always use text, but otherwise, I'm confident in my voice (its not like I'm acting, I'm merely talking to other players but remaining in character.) and I feel it can add spice to the situation.

Murphy might be right in some cases

Murphy

1311626491256.jpg

Guest WaltteriH

Preacher was robbed by Jamie and somebody else while curing Demons in Pridogorky, and was reborn in Kamenka. The Church of Almighty Rolle accepts Czech backpack and Winchester 1866 with 15mags as donation.

• MVP

Preacher was robbed by Jamie and somebody else while curing Demons in Pridogorky, and was reborn in Kamenka. The Church of Almighty Rolle accepts Czech backpack and Winchester 1866 with 15mags as donation.

I didn't realize there were Christians in the Church of Rolle. I do not condone this.