Server time (UTC): 2021-10-18 08:36

Farming = anti rp?

Guest zirax

Hey

I've been told and I've seen it with my own eyes.

That some people is farming certain spots for loot, such as Barracks for loot.

They keep looting everything and wait for re-spawn, and repeat for several hours. Just in order to get better loot such as NVG, Range-finder and other rather rare weapons. I will not be calling out names.

I personally feel that this don't really feel like role-playing. Although the players might act in character, but the action they are performing feels a bit anti RP.

At least in my opinion, surely they themselves don't feel like this is anti RP. They tell people NOT to enter the barracks, and if they do they will get shot. So basically they are 4+ players and you got no chance to get any of the rare loot, because you have no chance against 4 people in a close combat situation, and it can only be close combat due to contact rules. I don't blame the rules, the rules are fine. But I just don't like the farming of certain loot spots and the player claiming ownership of the building, rich get richer.

Of course this don't take place all the time, but that's besides the point. This is a matter of whether the action they perform is within the RP spirit or not.

Personally I don't feel this is within the RP spirit.

If you think I am wrong, please enlighten me. :)

I fully agree that this is anti-RP and a very powergamey thing to do on this server, but such a thing can't really be policed by admins.

That said, about 50% of the server don't really fully RP. They just powergame under the guise of roleplay, still loot cycling, using OOC info in game and performing robberies with no real logical reason to do so. Until roleplay becomes enforced/policed (which is next to impossible in this game), then we won't see a change in certain players playstyles here. Most have simply come here not for the roleplay, but for the whitelisted safe haven from hackers and snipers on vanilla DayZ servers.

Such a shame really!

I perfectly agree with Murray, and you can even see some people admitting what he is saying. I guess people should start to report these rulebreakers under rule 3.

Back to the topic... Loot farming a rule breaking, at least in my eyes. It is not being in-character at all. But I also believe that it is an exploit, again... in my eyes.

• MVP

On the other hand, if you find a "all red" chopper...

You will NEVER get it working without loot recycling at Polana/Solnichy factory...

You will NEVER get it working without loot recycling at Polana/Solnichy factory...

So? You then work hard to acquire the parts, rather than exploiting the game.

Exactly what Murray said, this is just a complete killjoy for rest, imho.

I remember when I found a littlebird on NEA, and I spent almost 2 days looking for parts for it. It should be hard, it should be challenging. Loot cycling and other powergaming techniques are just plain lame, and people who do that... Well, I don't have the highest opinion of them.

This should be a role-play server.

I'll use S-Gru as example(Personally, I had good experience with the guys, so dont take it the wrong way ppl):

You're roleplaying Soviet soldiers, so logically, to stay true to character you should only use soviet weaponry, because I don't really see a guy like that using M4A1 or a DMR, or a M107. It just doesn't fit. For the same reason, I am likely to give someone my GPS or NVG, because they don't fit in my character.

Wish I could ever see any of the big clans do that for the reason mentioned.

The problem with many on this server is they take it to far. Lets say this, if there was a real zombie apocolyps in real life, and you would find a military base you would find so much gear. But beacuse this game cant have a place spawning like 200-300 military grade weapons so do you try to get it some other way. Like loot cycling.

Like what kind of military base would be full of only makarovs and tin cans? You can go pretty far and take it almost like real life. But some things you cant take away. BEacuse if you do you need to fix it on some otherway. Like a heli crash in reallife. The heli would prob be full with high geared characters. But atm you maybe find 1-2 weapons in it only. Nothing els that is not really realistic now is it?

Think of it as just searching through a building for more stuff, like in the standalone you will actually have to search the houses it wont just be lying in front of you when you go in.

• Emerald

Loot cycling is exploitig a game mechanic.

Running through a building to lose zombies is exploiting their pathing mechanic, and sitting in a pine tree.

These can be frowned upon but it's quite impossible to enforce.

If someone decides to spend hours on end cycling to find that item they want its their problem more than anything.

• Emerald

The only way to prevent this is to spawn all the loot at once, and disable the loot respawn. Not sure how this is possible, and it's sure to cause lag/fps drop.

That would create a massive loot shortage and cause people to log out in places like barracks before restarts.

Guest Boris Grigorev

You're roleplaying Soviet soldiers, so logically, to stay true to character you should only use soviet weaponry, because I don't really see a guy like that using M4A1 or a DMR, or a M107. It just doesn't fit. For the same reason, I am likely to give someone my GPS or NVG, because they don't fit in my character.

This is a zombie apocalypse. We take what we need and we'll use american weaponry if it improves combat performance, just because we were russian doesn't mean we can't prefer american/western weaponry

• Emerald

We quickly abandoned the Bizon PP19s and VSS rifles we were deployed with because no extra ammunition was available in Chernarus when we searched.

Crude Western weapons such as M4A1 are also more disposable than high quality soviet small arms such as precision Dragunov SVD.

We quickly abandoned the Bizon PP19s and VSS rifles we were deployed with because no extra ammunition was available in Chernarus when we searched.

Crude Western weapons such as M4A1 are also more disposable than high quality soviet small arms such as precision Dragunov SVD.

Moreso, Soviet weapons are much simpler, but much more reliable. Western weapons break easily.

For the most part, I prefer Russian weapons. They are undeniably better in the current landscape than western arms because they are more reliable, albeit simpler and lacking in refinement.

The Soviets did manage to get one thing right ^.^

((OOC: I haven't personally experienced people military spawn camping.))

• Emerald

So, on this topic of SGRU loot farming and using western weaponry. They are special forces groups, which means they are deployed in hostile territory for long periods of time with no supply drops, no communication at times, and no reinforcements. They would be trained to use other weapons systems, as the American Special Forces are. Because they will eventually run out of ammo for their own weapons. As for the topic of Western Weapons breaking quite easily and not being durable, that is simply a myth these days. I have personally dragged my M4A1 through a swamp and it still fired, my ACOG sight has never broken, it only takes a few minutes extra maintenance, which is something any good soldier can be assumed to be doing anyways.

Loot farming itself I feel can be broken, but in a military spawn, these barracks are quite small, there are no simulated Arms rooms or armories either. As such, I feel that loot cycling to a LIMITED degree is ok. But you won't see me doing it because my soldier prefers the use of a M4A1 or M4A3 anyways. As for the abundance of AK style ammo in this area of the world, I feel that DayZRP has it right, though I feel that depending on the timeframe after the infection, Ammo would either be incredibly easy to find, or incredibly difficult.

• Legend

There was talk of setting the loot spawn timer to something like thirty minutes. I've never heard a solid answer on whether this is possible, but it seems to be the best compromise / consensus of the server at the time it was under discussion.

Can Jukki, Jamie, Rel, Rolle or whoever look into this?

• MVP

There was talk of setting the loot spawn timer to something like thirty minutes. I've never heard a solid answer on whether this is possible, but it seems to be the best compromise / consensus of the server at the time it was under discussion.

Can Jukki, Jamie, Rel, Rolle or whoever look into this?

We can change this, but we're going to try something else with the next release. If that doesn't work, we'll increase it then.

So? You then work hard to acquire the parts, rather than exploiting the game.

Exploit? Clever use of game mechanics... The game is built the way it is built for a reason.

We shall see how the 1.1 works out :D

work on fixing fps not fvcking loot farm. it makes me so mad when I see people whining about people farming loot which is not even exploiting its clever use of game mechanics and they whine and whine and whine and QQ all day long when there are people who went from perfectly good framerate to 10 FPS in cities and nothing is being done about it. there are tons of ideas and suggestions but NOOOO lets care about non RP'ish loot farming

Moreso, Soviet weapons are much simpler, but much more reliable. Western weapons break easily.

They break easily if you dont maintain them correctly! . Except of the m16,that thing is bullshit.

On the other hand maintaining guns after the apocalypse.. well. Going to be hard finding the right stuff unless you scavenge a gunstore.

• Emerald

I wholeheartedly agree that loot-cycling or loot-farming is against the mechanics of the game and of the server's roleplaying elements. It makes what is supposed to be very rare become very common, and makes the game very unbalanced for several reasons.

I had already at one point suggested it be a rule to not loot-cycle. However, people said because it was impossible to completely enforce, and by that logic we should not make it a rule. But in the spirit of these new, ambiguous, and largely honor-based rules such as the RP, NLR, and common sense rules, I think it should be included.

Our solution that we discussed was to change the in-game looting respawn timers so that this activity would be rendered impossible. However, by the sounds of it, there was little to no change.

Pity.