Server time (UTC): 2021-10-21 01:47

Modifiable Journals/Paper

Deserath

Should Journals be Implemented?  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm no modder/coder so I don't even know if this would be plausible to implement.

I think it'd be interesting in a RP perspective to add in Journals/paper that could be Written on and such. If anyone's familiar with Minecrafts Books that you can write in I was thinking a similar idea.

When I compare it to Minecraft I don't mean a craftable item but perhaps a somewhat rare loot, there's a ton of possibilities that people could make use of these with I believe.

Thoughts/Suggestions?

This has been brought up before, and the ending of that thread was basically "I would just write you're a f*g in my journal and leave it for someone to find."

Yes, it would be amazing but people would just screw around. People really don't truly RP here which sucks...

YES JOURNALS! And the option to read the journals of dead bodies you find, even collect them and make your own sadistic, survivor journal library!!! Oh god now I'm all RP excited..

This has been brought up before, and the ending of that thread was basically "I would just write you're a f*g in my journal and leave it for someone to find."

Yes, it would be amazing but people would just screw around. People really don't truly RP here which sucks...

You'll always get people who will do that, but think about good RPers really getting into a habit of recording a day.

The Random Gems that people would want to share on the forums.

Imagine if you played with them knowingly quite often and how situations were through their eyes.

But yeah I understand your point and think that it'd be a good addition still.

• MVP

In theory I think this is a great idea. The are so many creative ways in which this sort of thing could be used.

However, as mentioned above, you would also have to deal with the idiots who just write stupid, abusive stuff that ruins it for the rest.

I think it'd be worth looking into though.

• MVP

Even Dean Hall has been thinking about this for the standalone version.

When you’re talking about supporting the way the lore is player-created and those sorts of surrounding concepts, I remember the concept of in-game diaries that you brought up previously. I like the idea of everyone having what’s essentially a giant dog tag that can be sifted through or taken when you find someone’s corpse.

Hall: Yeah. I’ve got even bigger plans behind that, but I’ve got to go out and find the people who have the ability to do some of these things. I’m quite keen to go to PAX, to see if I can find some of the people, particularly a whole bunch of artists and things like that. I really want to connect with them. I’m going to try and find these people and give them my ideas and say, can you be part of this? I want to take where DayZ is at now and add more tools, more complexity to it, but every piece of complexity that’s added should be intuitive. We might come up with some…for want of a better word, crafting. The ability to build things that make sense. Even things as simple as, okay, to make a torch you need to get some batteries. But whatever that is, it should be intuitive, so that you don’t need to look up a manual or look up this page on the internet or something like that. You say, “Okay, I’ve got this item that doesn’t work, what do I do?”

The whole experience of doing that is a discovery in itself. So any element of complexity that we’re adding, I think, is going to add more depth to the game. Maybe instead of putting morphine into your leg… You can do that, but you go into a limping animation tree. Or maybe we can give you a splint. Maybe you have to craft a splint. Maybe you have to find someone who’s got a doctor skill to help you heal it. I think adding those tools to the world like that, as well as construction, will give players more options. Which, I’m hoping, will mean that less people will just go around killing players, because there will be more challenging stuff to do.

Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/08/21/interview-the-standalone-future-of-dayz-and-what-it-means-for-players/