Server time (UTC): 2021-10-26 11:18

A Basic Roleplaying Guide

Right-o Gents. Since we've had the reboot of the server, and the new rules, I felt it was a good idea to make a guide to Roleplaying, since I haven't really seen any others about. Might be of use, since you now have to be In Character all the time.

First off, some fundamental Do's and Don'ts.

Do:

-Behave the way you intend your character to be. If you want him to be an ass, act like an ass. If he's a nice guy, be polite and friendly. Etc.

-Stick to your chosen background, and gear yourself accordingly. If you're a survivor, try basic civilian weaponry, and survival gear. If you fancy being a Bandit, kit yourself up with heavy military weaponry, balaclavas / masks, and handcuffs. Want to be a medic? Try something light, nothing too fancy. If you can, check out any hospitals you come across, just in case they have Paramedic clothing, if you really want to go the extra mile. It's all about appearances. The more high-value gear you have, the more chance you will have of being robbed.

-Do put Roleplay over gear. If you get robbed, don't whine about it on the forums. Don't just sit there like a lamb after someone does the shoddy initiation of "Drop wep 10 secs". Talk to them. Interact. I don't know, maybe even insult them? You could probably goad them into a more drawn out RP, if you do it right. Just speak up. The worst that can happen is they tell you to "Shut up".

- Do know what to do in the right situation. We'll cover this later.

Don't:

-Don't Metagame. If you happen to die, and you're in a clan, don't instantly run towards your clan's camp to re-gear. It's a new person you're playing as, he won't know the things your old character knows.

Similarly, if a player is using Type-Chat to speak, don't call them by their Player-Name, unless they tell it to you directly themselves. It's a little odd when you suddenly get robbed and you somehow know each and every one of their names for no reason.

-Don't use emoticons ICly. This makes you look a bit of a prat, in all honesty. Same goes for txt spk. "Cn i hv a Blud Bag pls? xD" It just looks bad, and won't make people want to interact with you that much.

-Don't get offended. It's likely that you may get insulted ICly at some time or another. It's fine to react with offense, as long as you keep it IC. These are a person's IC views of you, and should not be taken out of RP. If someone is harassing you OOCly, contact a moderator.

-Don't be a god. This goes with your "Stick to your background" bit. If you're playing as a Medic, don't act like your character knows how to handle a Sniper-Rifle, and can fix and fly a Helicopter with ease.

-Don't rob folk just for the sake of robbing. Don't just rob people because they MIGHT have something you want. Don't make them strip down to their underpants just so you can go complete gearwhore over them. Interact with people. This server is for RP, not for people to have easy access to loot. Expect a report if all you do is "Drop wep 10 secs", and then say nothing after you've forced them naked.

-Don't hit the stereotypes. Being a Navy Seals Supersoldier is something that will just piss people off. Be creative. Maybe your character was a failing artist before the dead began to rise, and has now found his muse in this ravaged wasteland? Perhaps you were just a schoolteacher who watched all of your students be torn apart? Think of something new. Something you'd think "I bet no-one's done that before!" Because everyone here loves creativity! Creative people get a lot of love from us. Generic soldiers, cannibals and bandits are just dull in comparison to something like a rail-line travelling hobo, trading interesting folk stories for beans and such.

Knowing what to do in the right situation:

I'm going to be writing this in terms of a good/neutral guy. If you're a bandit, sorry.

Chances are, there's three likely scenarios you'll be in:

In a place with Zombies.

With Friendlies in a Safe place.

Being Robbed.

In a place with Zombies/Walkers/Living Dead:

When you're in a place with Zombies nearby, keep your weapon up, try not to point it at someone else, stick to either crouching or being prone and for the love of god... Zombies have pretty damn good senses after all.

Don't use Voice-Chat in Direct Coms! Stick to TS or Text. Voice-Chat will aggro every single Zombie in your general vicinity. Which is bad.

When you're with Friendlies in a safe place:

When you're with Friendlies in a safe(ish) place, it's best to stand upright, or sit around any campfires. Just don't sit -too- close, or you'll burn your face off. Keep your gun down, or better yet, keep it holstered. It's also preferable to walk around, and not run. Don't sprint about the place at any costs, unless there's a real need. You'll look like a massive trolling tit, if you're just sprinting in circles or something.

When you're being robbed:

When you're being Robbed, if you don't think you can take on the robbers, it's best to simply comply with their actions. Lower your weapon, holster it and put your gun onto the ground. After that, it's best to stick your hands up in the surrender positon (Press F2, for that). Follow their instructions, and you'll almost always get out alive, but with a fair less amount of gear. Better to be undergeared, than dead. If you're held up, and you think you can run away, give it a try if you're feeling reckless. You'll have a few seconds to leg it before they can open fire, so make them count.

If at any time you're killed while complying in a robbery situation, it's best to file a report. Bandits should NEVER EVER kill someone they have disarmed, unless they have a very very good reason to do so. Cannibalism is not a valid reason to kill you, if you have complied. Similarly, if the bandits do not interact with you once they've initiated, it might be worth reporting them too. This is an RP server, not a "Say just enough to get someone's gear then run away" server.

Right. Last piece of advice: Follow your Common Sense and your gut instinct. If something feels wrong, it almost certainly is. Trust. Your. Gut.

Hope this guide's been at least a bit useful. Also, don't forget about Capitalisation, and your grammar if you're using Text to RP. Presentation for your first impressions with people will drastically improve your RPing experience.

Stay safe, stay well, stay serious.

-Trilby

• MVP

There are a few issues with roleplaying in games that you just can't overcome. Metagaming is one of them. If you die, you are supposed to start over, not knowing anything you did before. But you DO know EVERYTHING that happened before. If someone robs you after pretending to be friendly, and then shoots you (for whatever reason), you as a person have a reason to mistrust him. But you as a newly "born" player don't. So when you meet that person again, you will have to act like you don't know if you can trust him or not, while in reality you KNOW you can't trust him.

A solution would be to call dying "passing out", but metagaming still remains a problem that can't be solved.

I think that there's a limit to roleplaying. For example, if someone asks how to put on the flashlight, what do you answer? In real life it would be a weird question anyway. You have to say "press L". And these things, these conversations that basically take you out of the whole roleplaying aspect happen a lot. I personally don't think it's a problem. You are constantly reminded you are in a game anyway.

Moments when there should be more roleplaying is when encountering another player. Just running past and saying "sup" is not enough. I'm playing a cautious person who would rather hide than confront others, but if I see someone and I know he sees me, I will say more than just "sup".

However, I understand if not everyone does this. I've heard complaints about people being too silent when robbed (instead of crying for help). I would roleplay the shit out of a situation like that, but that's just something I like.

What's the most important is that everyone at least talks to each other. I'd rather have someone saying just "sup" than saying nothing at all. If everyone talks and greets, at least you have the idea that you are involved. That's what makes DayZ so special; it is very player-driven. What makes the game fun isn't the shooting mechanics or the zombies. It's you interacting with other players, which leads to unique and "real" scenarios that are not "mise en scène". And those quickly feel like roleplaying, even though the only thing the other person is saying is "sup".

I agree Izaak, but you certainly can limit the amount of Metagaming. When it comes to having to speak OOCly, do what Raptor said. Put double Brackets around your text if it's OOC or something. Always works for me. And frankly, with Meta, my main peeve about it, is people magically knowing player's names, without them ever being actually introduced. xD

• MVP

I agree Izaak, but you certainly can limit the amount of Metagaming. When it comes to having to speak OOCly, do what Raptor said. Put double Brackets around your text if it's OOC or something. Always works for me. And frankly, with Meta, my main peeve about it, is people magically knowing player's names, without them ever being actually introduced. xD

I especially try to avoid that last mistake. But when I'm alone with someone else we don't use [[ ]] everytime we want to say something out of character. And it doesn't work in voice chat anyway.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest JDevil

Hey guys. I'm new to the community but already read over the rules and everything about 4 times each.. Just one question about the "forget what you used to know" aspect. If I die, I'm not allowed to return to my old camp because I know about it. But what if my group comes down to meet me at the shore where I spawned, then bring me up to camp? Is that allowed? I just didn't know if I had to forget about my clan as well and have to be re-allowed in or something.

Edit: Thought I might throw this in here as well, are the servers persistent with eachother? Like will I have the same stuff on S1 as I do on S2?

• MVP

Hey guys. I'm new to the community but already read over the rules and everything about 4 times each.. Just one question about the "forget what you used to know" aspect. If I die, I'm not allowed to return to my old camp because I know about it. But what if my group comes down to meet me at the shore where I spawned, then bring me up to camp? Is that allowed? I just didn't know if I had to forget about my clan as well and have to be re-allowed in or something.

Edit: Thought I might throw this in here as well, are the servers persistent with eachother? Like will I have the same stuff on S1 as I do on S2?

NLR is basically there to prevent people from returning to firefights/their body. A good guideline to follow: forget the events leading to your death. If you have established a certain camp somewhere, and you die a day after that, you can still return to your camp (unless you died there). You don't have to forget that. Nor do you have to forget you dislike a certain clan.

If you are asking if your clan can lead you back to your body? Then no, that's not allowed. Do not go back to your body, unless you died by a glitch (or maybe when it was a blatant KoS).

About the servers: yes, you'll have the same gear, but that doesn't count for vehicles and tents obviously.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Icalindor

This is a great tutorial, atleast in my opinion. This is something every new DayZRP player should read so they know what to start out with if they get accepted. Atleast i will keep my eye on the tutorial section for quite some time to get a hold of the basics of this mod :)