Server time (UTC): 2021-10-18 07:12

The scope of the outbreak (lore discussion)

How far do you think the pandemic has spread?  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• MVP

(Be warned, lots of text)

This is one of those tough lore questions that's always been unclear to me: Is the outbreak restricted to the Chernarus region?

A fair few followers of the dayZRP community seem inclined to say "Yes" through their roleplay and actions, but I've also come across a fair few that roleplay it as being global, although they appear outnumbered by those saying "yes"

But im not sure on that impression, I might've gotten it wrong. So this thread is also an attempt to get a feeling what how people think:

Global or restricted? Or restricted -so far-.

Unfortunetly(or perhaps fortunetly) there isnt much official lore to turn to, since Dean Hall seems to favor a "the players make their own lore"-approach. Which in turn would mean the answer to this is whatever we want it to be. But in terms of community-wide roleplay, its good to have a common established line here. This is a pretty big thing after all.

My personal opinion

Personally, I would say the infection is -not- restricted. Maybe not fully global yet, but I think it would be reasonable to assume that its spread to much of central asia and Europe, possibly to Africa as well. This all depends on how much time has passed. Since I firmly believe a disease like this would spread quickly, I think most of the world would be engulfed by the pandemic in a matter of months.

My primary argument for this is that the disease appears to be transmitted easily and might even be airborne. Its also that zombie-related diseases has a decently long incubation period(relativly speaking) and can be carried through hordes of people trying to escape the carnage. See the World War Z book for an excellent attempt to take a reasonable approach to this as well as a clear picture of just how difficult it is to contain a disease of this nature.

Due to this, it'll even be difficult to isolate islands and especielly continents. Large-scale smuggling of refugees as well as the drifting of "slaughter-house" boats would mean the infection would reach everywhere.

If the disease was discovered quickly enough, and its point of origin was in Chernarus, it -might- be possible that the entire country could be isolated if the UN acted quickly enough and invested massive resources. Even then it would be a hellova challenge to prevent the disease from migrating out of the country. And I dare ask you this: Since when was the UN known for acting quickly?

However, if the infection is actually airborne, then I think people should abandon every notion of the infection just being regional, since the only way to stop it would be to seal the entire place in a big bubble or something. And such crazyness we'll only see in the Simpsons-movie.

So to summarize: There is a point why most zombie movies(with 28 days and 28 weeks later being notable exceptions) picture the pandemic as global: It would be almost impossible to stop in time for it to be contained for a region, due to how the disease works. This is assuming that the dayZ zombie disease works like a relativly "standard" zombie disease, but I dont see a reason to think why it wouldnt.

Regarding foreign intervention

So if we'd settle(unlikely, but at least this can be brought up to debate) with this being global, there's a chance that the notion of foreign intervention would be foolish, since in the end all countries care about themselves first, and would not deploy precious military resources to some tiny backwater eastern european state.

However, there is a way around that problem, and that would be to simply state that Chernarus indeed was the point of origin for the disease. With this simple statement, you'd have a valid cause for pretty much all foreign intervention/investigation/presence from -any- country, because these countries would have an obvious interest in finding out where exactly the disease came from, how it emerged and if it was natural or man-made, and through that way trying to find out how to stop it.

With such an approach, I think there's also some major potential for interesting RP, but it would of course be up for the "foreign" clans or individuals themselves to descide if this is what they'd be here for. In S-GRU's case, for example, their presence might simply be caused by a will from Moscow to expand a Soviet and communistic ideology in a ruined world struggling to re-build itself. Staking the claim, so to speak.

Discuss!

• MVP

In my opinion I thought of the Virus as global, or at least localized to Eastern Europe and Russia maybe even Asia.

I thought that the area was secluded in the sense that there is no radio contact and all the other people currently here were already on Chernarus at the time of DayZ.

E.g. I see SGRU taking advantage of the situation here in order to create a society for themselves and that their 'orders from the Kremlin' are actually from themselves so they can justify their actions. Their land had been destroyed and overwhelmed so they now try to claim this land as their own.

That is the way I thought they were heading.

If you look at the devastation, it is hard to believe that Chernarus was contained. That would be impossible if the contagion was indeed airborne.

The character I play believes that the world is itself in ruins and that it is not just Chernarus. It may have been the starting point but SumoS continues to think that the entire world has gone to hell and they wont get any outside help. That is how I justify my role play, playing ignorant or stubborn to anyone that tells him otherwise.

• Legend

S-GRU's original thread has them kidnapping Dr. Habib and his family to bring him back to Moscow because he (claims to know how to put an end to) | (knows something about) the infection. Their transport failed stranding them in Chernarus. Their original stated goal was to find a way back to Moscow; enforcing Soviet rule in Chernarus was a secondary goal. At some point, their primary goal changed, but I'm not sure to what. All of the above is my own understanding, I'm sure someone else will show where I'm wrong.

Anyway, I always expected that the zombie plague was a fast-spreading global pandemic. My character lies about his past sometimes, but it's fair to say that he was sent to Chernarus by a foreign power, and while interested in news from the outside world, he's skeptical of what he hears, and believes that even the most powerful and most isolated states have already or will soon succumb to the plague.

• Emerald

I'd like to think of it as global. More than a majority of the planet is wiped out. But there are some forces remaining, like in any apocalyptic fiction.

I wouldn't entirely be against an American military base still operational with jets and such.

There's plenty of opportunity for teams to have survived the apocalypse based on circumstance.

I don't think we should say "Oh, America is untouched because AMERICA!" I think major countries and continents with high traffic should be primarily decimated. Islands and low population areas, however, I think could be accepted as less- or untouched. That's just my opinion though.

• MVP

I don't think we should say "Oh, America is untouched because AMERICA!" I think major countries and continents with high traffic should be primarily decimated. Islands and low population areas, however, I think could be accepted as less- or untouched. That's just my opinion though.

This is an opinion of many, "islands and isolated island states are safer". Zombies cant swim and therefore islands would be safer. It wasnt until I read World War Z(recomended read, awesome book) that I realized how wrong that is.

Imagine the chaos of this pandemic going global, and then imagine all the refugees. The ocean becomes a primary escape route, and these islands become the target for -millions- of refugees. Its only a matter of time before the infection gets there and when it does, it turns into a bloodbath.

The only safe areas that I could read about were mountains(even zombies cant climb steep hills easily) and the frozen areas of the planet(zombies tried to wander there but froze solid, at least during the winter months).

That does sound like Utes would be untouched by the disease, though the comic by Mercy suggests otherwise... It also depends on the diseases' (if you believe it was caused by a pathogen) symptoms. I propose an airborne disease for the zombies, to explain why getting bit doesn't infect you with the zombie disease, and to explain the scope of the disease, at least in the northern province of Chernarus.

It also depends on what time the plotline is. We seem to be in the beginning-middle of the outbreak, when the disease might still have been local. But fast forward to say, DayZ "2017", the disease might have already spread globally.

Oh, and America (which would include Canada as well) usually never gets attacked by anything, because it's a whole continent's away from any potential enemies. The last time there were enemies in the Americas was in the 1800's...

• Legend

Rocket has stated that the zombie disease is caused by a virus. The reason survivors don't succumb to bites is that they have some natural resistance to the virus, just like the survivors in Left 4 Dead.

wrt the Americas: Air travel. Global village. Pandemic is easier today than it's ever been.

Rocket has stated that the zombie disease is caused by a virus. The reason survivors don't succumb to bites is that they have some natural resistance to the virus, just like the survivors in Left 4 Dead.

wrt the Americas: Air travel. Global village. Pandemic is easier today than it's ever been.

In my own plotline, I say that there was a mandatory vaccination program, but it was too late as millions have already succumbed. I think that might explain the many players, and as they respawn into new characters. And besides, it might not be a virus. It could be a prion for all I know, that might explain the "zombie shamble" as being something about uncoordinated muscle control (which goes normal after going in "aggression mode"). I won't vote on the issue, as I'm okay with any of the above. Eventually it should spread globally though.

• Legend

Yeah, the vaccine idea is a really good one. I like the prion idea too.

• Emerald

A lot of times with any true virus, the incubation period is relatively long, not to mention that there are also "Carriers" people who only transfer the virus but experience no symptoms. Also, viruses evolve relatively rapidly, making vaccines EXTREMELY difficult to develop effectively. As for the symptoms leading up to the actual zombie state, they could be as simple as the flu, making people initially think that the disease is just an evolved form of the flu, which happens every single year anyways, hence why we CONSTANTLY need ANOTHER flu shot. Something else people seem to forget, is that when catastrophe happens, the United States is always stepping in to be "the guardian" of the world. And as such would actually succumb rather quickly. Due to the fact our military is not very efficient anyways when it comes to operations on the ground.I believe the entire world is affected, or currently in the process of being ravaged. AKA Moscow itself might not have fallen, and maybe the US government might still be intact but they are barely surviving themselves, and as such have discontinued communication with assets not in their immediate vicinity.

A lot of times with any true virus, the incubation period is relatively long, not to mention that there are also "Carriers" people who only transfer the virus but experience no symptoms. Also, viruses evolve relatively rapidly, making vaccines EXTREMELY difficult to develop effectively. As for the symptoms leading up to the actual zombie state, they could be as simple as the flu, making people initially think that the disease is just an evolved form of the flu, which happens every single year anyways, hence why we CONSTANTLY need ANOTHER flu shot. Something else people seem to forget, is that when catastrophe happens, the United States is always stepping in to be "the guardian" of the world. And as such would actually succumb rather quickly. Due to the fact our military is not very efficient anyways when it comes to operations on the ground.I believe the entire world is affected, or currently in the process of being ravaged. AKA Moscow itself might not have fallen, and maybe the US government might still be intact but they are barely surviving themselves, and as such have discontinued communication with assets not in their immediate vicinity.

Hmm... I think this is turning to one of those "What's the most plausible candidate for a zombie apocalypse" kind of discussions, which is good, too. My own idea is that the disease has an incubation period of about 1-2 days, and at first it becomes a flu-like disease. Then comes necrosis, hunger, loss of muscle coordination, then extreme aggression. I call it "Necrotizing Rabies", but this is only my idea. But while you guys talk about Russia and the US, what happens to the local government? Will there be a few surviving squads of the CDF? (Of which I probably have inspired a few people to make a CDF squad) As I've said, the current scope of the disease depends on what stage it is in. What is certain though, is that the entire South Zagoria region has been decimated, and only the few who were vaccinated in time survived (and those people are the players)

As for the scope of the disease, I believe it has already spread throughout the country and its surrounding regions (Takistan and Russia), but there are unconfirmed reports that the disease has spread to parts of Germany and the Czech Republic. Some clans like UN and TOR might explain the foreign assistance, but probably most of it is focused on the capital (Novigrad).

• Emerald

I always personally liked to think that it all originated in Namalsk (After the map was introduced into DayZ) and that Russians are to blame (As always). I would say that the epidemic should be semi-global but not in the terms of Resident Evil or any other zombie films.

And that RL and Armaverse has happened like it is if we are using year 2014 as the outbreak year(??).

So I would say that the widely spread areas are Central Asia (Chernarus, Takistan), most of Russia, Eastern Europe (ex-Soviet Bloc nations), Maybe Middle-Eastern nations and some Asian nations too. I would say that it hasn't reached Americas yet, so that is why the Marines are in Chernarus. (Like usual they are poking their noses in other peoples business).

Chernarussian government would not be functional as it were before the outbreak, it would be more of an military led government with some sort of civilian council trying to keep things democratic. This would explain why the Russian hardliners are there to cause trouble.

So semi-global with some big nations still working and trying to defeat the infection.

I always personally liked to think that it all originated in Namalsk (After the map was introduced into DayZ) and that Russians are to blame (As always). I would say that the epidemic should be semi-global but not in the terms of Resident Evil or any other zombie films.

And that RL and Armaverse has happened like it is if we are using year 2014 as the outbreak year(??).

So I would say that the widely spread areas are Central Asia (Chernarus, Takistan), most of Russia, Eastern Europe (ex-Soviet Bloc nations), Maybe Middle-Eastern nations and some Asian nations too. I would say that it hasn't reached Americas yet, so that is why the Marines are in Chernarus. (Like usual they are poking their noses in other peoples business).

Chernarussian government would not be functional as it were before the outbreak, it would be more of an military led government with some sort of civilian council trying to keep things democratic. This would explain why the Russian hardliners are there to cause trouble.

So semi-global with some big nations still working and trying to defeat the infection.

Ah yes, those dastardly scientists in Namalsk, trying to make strange things to somehow help people, only to mess it up in the end! How can this connect to Green Mountain though, and its strange transmission that is part of DayZ myth?

• Emerald

Ah yes, those dastardly scientists in Namalsk, trying to make strange things to somehow help people, only to mess it up in the end! How can this connect to Green Mountain though, and its strange transmission that is part of DayZ myth?

Well who knows, they might have had another test lab under Green Mountain where they conducted experiments and were in frequent contact with the Namalsk based lab. Maybe they planned to use Chernarus as a testing ground but something went wrong?

• 1 month later...

I like to think it was an accidental release (possibly terrorism) from a bio warfare laboratory. The spread of infection was very fast with most organisations who could muster the resources to initiate a quarantine of whole regions being caught wrong footed. Government still exists in some form, deep buried under the earth in their bunkers and pragmatically observing the events unfolding.

As for the Americas, the spread of contagion would be entirely dependant on the timeline and there is a fair amount of variables involved. One possible scenario that comes to mind for passage of the virus across the ocean is luxury cruise liners. These ships are like small cities and operate on preprogrammed GPS automation to take them to their destination. If such a ship were infected and-

a: did not suffer catastrophic mechanical failure

b: was not ID'd as a threat and destroyed

Then it's possible you could have 4,000 angry infected washed up on the east coast.

I would say that everywhere with a mainland border to infected regions stands a high chance of being overrun and suffering the same fate as Chernarus within weeks or even days of the outbreak. The American continent and most of the countries/provinces on this list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_island_countries would stand a higher chance of remaining clean of infection (short term) based on how long it would take the pandemic to spread from patient zero to their location. This chance is variable based on the scope of contingency plans to cover and control the surrounding sea and airspace.

The long term strategy will be maintaining the supply of food/medicine for the population. There are more ways than one to fall into anarchy and failure to provide for your population could be almost as disastrous as the viral infection and I'd bet at some point attempts to solve these problems will leave island states (The UK, for example) at risk of infection.

• Emerald

I feel like it would be global with any countries with massive transportation being affected, the only ones untouched would be isolated counties with no easy way in or out.

every person in almost every country would be looking for a safe zone till they were killed or if flying ran out of fuel and crashed to there deaths