Server time (UTC): 2021-10-23 14:18

Zombies(HP and damage)

• MVP

So I know that there's a lot of zombie-related threads going around atm, but bare with me: This is not a "amagawd zombies are impossible!1 bruhuhu"-thread.

I like, nay LOVE, that zombies are now a massive threat. In fact im enjoying the new mod more then I thought I would. It feels fresh and new and the glitches are relativly few, especielly for being such a fresh release.

Being new however means that not everything is perfect, so the balance of some things can rightfully be called into question.

An example of that was the recently(at the time I wrote this) raised issue of the zombie VOIP agro range, which Jamie and Rolle thankfully seemed to be ontop of.

Another however, widely debated, is the zombie DAMAGE.

My suggestion

Zombies should hit hard, in fact I find the damage they do now to almost be okay. Almost.

But its just about slightly over the top when its coupled with the other changes I'd like to include to them, which is raised hitpoints. Yes, this is similar to what I suggested before the mod was released, but im giving it another go because I think it has the potential for awesomeness. (and because I am a stubborn bastard. NAAMAAALSK AS SECOND SERVER MAP, ROLLE!)

Damage

I dont know the specific numbers, but zombies seem to be doing between 800-2000 damage per hit(a bit of a wild guess, mostly based on personal experience and what other people have told me).

I'd rather see it reduced to perhaps 500-1000, or 400-800. For those thinking im proposing a massive nerf, I'd like to remind you that they'd still do A HELLOVA lot more damage then the dayZ vanilla zombies, and that they'd still be exceptionally dangerous, if yet not as fully crazy as they are currently.

Hitpoints

To maintain the zombies as a massive threat, just not an instant-death one, I'd like to see their hitpoints increased to at least 10.000. Preferably 15.000-20.000. IIRC it is now around 4.000-5.000, which means they go down just as easily as they did in "vanilla" dayZ.

I'd like to argue that zombies are more fun to fight as bullet-spunges then insta-killing glass cannons. And of course, this would also be more fitting to common zombie "lore"(If you can call it that), where many zeds can take dozens of bullets before biting the dust, unless its a headshot. Headshots would still be lethal with this much HP of course.

I believe the result would be less people dying from accidental glitched zombies(god knows those exist aplenty, ALPHA and all that), and make a more balanced but challenging zombie factor to this game.

My 2 cents.. Lets play and be happy..

I totally see your point with bullet sponges and stuff, but they still teleport and zigzag run aswell.

Changing something like this will seriously hinder the balance in the game. (Which actually turned out pretty nice in dayzrpmod)

If zeds had 10-15k health in dayzrpmod and zeds still have all the other attributes they do now i for one would find another server.

As said: My dream dayz would have only headshot kils. Slow and stupid zombies in large hoards. Players having 100 % infection chance if hit, uncurable and cause nearby teammates to have to consider that you turn into a zed after like 5 mins. And that is if your lucky.. Unlucky they will just tear you to pieces..

• MVP

Upping HP of zombies more than 5k would require a weapon damage balance. IMO HP boost is a good thing, but nothing more than 2,3k. Even amount of 1k more health would require an extra bullet from most of guns making zombies a bigger threat without need of damage balance.

Guest Hatsjoe

Zombies could have 20k HP if its up to me, but then there should be made changes to the current damage system.

A bullet in the head should always kill no matter what, because who on earth can survive a bullet right into his brains? I think its save to say: nobody.

I don't know how hard it would be, making changes like that in the code, but I think any weapon must be able to kill any zombie with 1 bullet into the brains.

Thing is as said.. I want the TWD zombies aswell. But this will never happen in a ARMA mod. As Rocket himself said.. When they tried doing some changes like this for standalone, it ended up as a new game, not a mod and hence the delay in release.

It will require balancing weapon damage, rewriting zombie AI etc.

• Legend

Ideally zombies should hit hard and need headshots IMO.

The running speed is the problems, YOU SHOULD NOT NEED TO USE GLITCHES(HOUSE) TO SUCCESSFULLY HEADS-SHOT ONE WITHOUT GETTING YOUR FACE MUNCHED IN. 50% current speed and I think it would be better.

I like Metaphor's dream however I don't think that's the way the standalone is heading seen as they're motion capturing running zombies. A shame.

From what I see while they have limited running potential is more like TWD running or power walking.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/22/4016876/dayz-standalone-project-developer-diary-shows-how-zombie-mocap-is-done

Ideally zombies should hit hard and need headshots IMO.

The running speed is the problems, YOU SHOULD NOT NEED TO USE GLITCHES(HOUSE) TO SUCCESSFULLY HEADS-SHOT ONE WITHOUT GETTING YOUR FACE MUNCHED IN. 50% current speed and I think it would be better.

I like Metaphor's dream however I don't think that's the way the standalone is heading seen as they're motion capturing running zombies. A shame.

From what I see while they have limited running potential is more like TWD running or power walking.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/22/4016876/dayz-standalone-project-developer-diary-shows-how-zombie-mocap-is-done

I agree with this, but the current damage is fine. Zombies shouldn't be able to out-run you. Also the fact that occasionally zombies hit you through walls from like, 10m away.

IMHO about these zombies. they should be shuffling and have massive HP but 1 shot headshot kills, while hitting like trucks.

but that would require more zombies.

they are hussian bolt right now, so coupled with the dmg and(with most guns)1shot body kills i think the balance is OK

Guest Hatsjoe

I agree on that they are way to fast. You should be able to easily outrun them, but now they follow you all the way around the map if don't break LoS.

But I do think they should hit like trucks, maybe even make 1 or 2 hits lethal. Think about it, in TWD, 1 bite and you're a goner (with Hershel as an exception because he's just a bad-ass grandpa).

But 1 single shot in the head must put them down, and they should move slower and in a straight line in order to give them a nice head shot. Zombies should not zig-zag their way towards you.

Modify Chernarus to be *indoors* everywhere.

Multiply zombie amount by 10.

Make weapons only one hit kill to the head.

Double the pistol/AK damages.

i love those ideas all but the pistol/ak damage as they seem pointless if zombies can only be killed by headshots only anyways

Only problem i can see with this is alot of zombies would slow the server?

I agree on that they are way to fast. You should be able to easily outrun them, but now they follow you all the way around the map if don't break LoS.

But I do think they should hit like trucks, maybe even make 1 or 2 hits lethal. Think about it, in TWD, 1 bite and you're a goner (with Hershel as an exception because he's just a bad-ass grandpa).

But 1 single shot in the head must put them down, and they should move slower and in a straight line in order to give them a nice head shot. Zombies should not zig-zag their way towards you.

I agree with those two points. They would help SO much, and make it better gameplay

And seeing the lag issues we are currently having 10 times the zeds would be a good idea? Totally agree with your view, problem is that this is not possible in ARMA. (Might be in standalone)

The world can be edited with 3rd party map editor (huge invisible box around the world and class it as buidling would make zeds be walking dead.

That would still radically alter the game dynamics and require a lot of balancing and a LOT more zombies, something ARMA won't be able to handle.

I'm all for increasing the zombie hp to around 6-8k. There's nothing wrong with a stronger threat. I don't get why people keep complaining about how difficult it is to get away or destroy them. Either way, it's really not that difficult. If this game is getting to be too hard for some people, they should quit DayZ all together and go back to Modern Warfare. This current Alpha mod is definitely an improvement and I love the changes. It was a good decision to nerf the spawn rates and aggro ranges for zombies. But all in all, it's not a hard game, and if you can use just a fraction of your brain, you should be able to survive the apocalypse. I'm all for a harder game.

Guys, as Rocket himself said: INFECTED, not undead. These are not TWD cliche things, but 28 days later berserkers.

They should hit really hard, take a lot of punishment(due to inability to feel pain) but still not be superhuman. OFC they can run faster than you, they dont carry a backpack full of shit and a gun in their hands, so its logical.

Also, why do they spawn inside buildings and dont leave them?

TL;dr

Lower damage maybe a little bit, so you won't get instakilled when one brakes your leg through a goddamn wall, keep the speed and boost HP.