Server time (UTC): 2021-10-26 11:45

Radios

Guest Marcus Williams

Guest Marcus Williams

There was a chance that the ACRE mod was going to be used on the server for a realism feel when you talk with your buddies, however, I've heard that it was removed due to lag problems on the server.

But, can radios still be added into the game for a more RP feeling? For example, I had the idea of using TS or Skype as radio system for myself and anyone that wishes to play with me. And I feel I would get a more feel if a bandit took my radio away from me so I couldn't call any buddies, and then rob me. Just think that it would make the server have a more RP feeling.

• MVP

ACRE was actually implemented but removed not for lag, but because of some issues with getting everybody to use it.

For ACRE to properly work on the server, we would have to require everybody to be on the dayzrp TS at the same exact time. We were only able to get this to work if the players were still in the exact same TS channel, let alone having different channels for clans.

Trying to implement that would just be a pain. We would also have to force anybody that is sitting in TS to actually be in-game, as they could relay messages to two players that couldn't normally hear each other.

Lastly, if a certain player had ACRE enabled, they wouldn't be able to hear another player locally if they didn't have ACRE installed. To my understanding, ACRE replaces direct communications completely and uses TS for it. It wouldn't be able to hear any other players if you were in a different TS channel, let alone if they had it installed or not.

We would also have to force everybody to download and use TS as well as install ACRE just to play on the server. While I really love the mod, it isn't healthy forcing players to download and install extra stuff in order to play the game (even if they don't use it).

We currently don't have the time to try to work all of this out, so anything like this wouldn't happen anytime soon.

Guest Marcus Williams

I'm not talking about adding ACRE back in, I'm talking about possibly adding in the radio item itself. I feel it would bring more roleplay if a bandit forcefully took my radio from me so I couldn't contact people I know in game.

Plus, before the apocalypse my character was a sergeant in the U.S. Marines and I feel it would not only fit my character in having the radio item, but several others as well.

• MVP

I was referring to trying to get a radio system like that to work over separate TS channels. You wouldn't be able to hear anybody trying to talk to you in-game.

I mean, we can give you a radio, but you can't do anything with it. We could possibly make the item spawn at military/barracks/heli loot, but the majority of the players wouldn't use it and it would probably be considered a trash item.

I'm not the best with game coding and such, but wouldn't there be a way to set up the radio along the lines as direct communication? We have a vehicle channel and such, so wouldn't there be a way to just code it directly into the game and then use whatever hot key you have selected to change what channel you're talking in to change to communication over the radio. In order to access that channel you would have to first have the radio say, on your tool belt.

Like I said, I do not know how feesable that would be, or if you could set it up to have different channels on the radio so we aren't all spamming on one wavelength. It's just an idea, and with no background in doing code or anything of the like I have no idea if it's a good one or not.

Hello, I have test ACRE on an other DayZ server (other than the Rp.fr), it's not bad. The problem it's for have a "good" radio, because we spawn with a bad radio and we can talk only at 2km, and with a poor quality. For have the good radio, you need to add on the database the radio box with all radio on ACRE (4-5 kind of radio and near 40 radios if I remember), it's not a lot RP and at all reboot the box is full.

ACRE replace the vocal chan by TS, and it's not bad, but with ACRE you can't talk with your friend in a same chan if they are in game with you.

On the DayZ RP (because we haecn't got ACRE), when we captured a guy, we said "Give your radio !" and the guy was obliged to mute the Team Speak.

And the Team Speak is required for go on the server, like this we can check on TS if the prisoner is honest.

• MVP

I'm not the best with game coding and such, but wouldn't there be a way to set up the radio along the lines as direct communication? We have a vehicle channel and such, so wouldn't there be a way to just code it directly into the game and then use whatever hot key you have selected to change what channel you're talking in to change to communication over the radio. In order to access that channel you would have to first have the radio say, on your tool belt.

Like I said, I do not know how feesable that would be, or if you could set it up to have different channels on the radio so we aren't all spamming on one wavelength. It's just an idea, and with no background in doing code or anything of the like I have no idea if it's a good one or not.

I'd have to look into it more, but as far as I know, those chat channels are disabled on DayZ. We could probably unlock those chat channels, but then it raises the question of "How do we make it so each clan/group has a certain radio channel"?

As I said before, we might be able to take a look at it when we get a solid foundation for building upon (1.7.5 ruined that).

It wouldnt be concidered a trash item to us Roleplayers. :-/

Trash items in the fact that people wouldn't be honest when using them. I agree that some people would be honest and use them, but I feel the majority of players wouldn't care about them and would never even touch them. (Also: I'm not sure if that's an intentionally loaded statement, but I chose not to take it that way).

On the DayZ RP (because we haecn't got ACRE), when we captured a guy, we said "Give your radio !" and the guy was obliged to mute the Team Speak.

And the Team Speak is required for go on the server, like this we can check on TS if the prisoner is honest.

TS isn't required to play on the server. Many clans have separate TS servers that they use whenever they play on the server. This is what I was talking about when I mentioned that it would be hard to effectively communicate in this way. You wouldn't be able to check to see if they actually muted their headset on their own TS.

It all depends on the honesty of the players.

DayZ is just a base code that the dev team here uses to build off of to create our own mod, right? There's things in the regular DayZ play that we don't have here and that goes the other way.

I don't think you would need to create specific clan channels though. I think that'd be the beauty of it from a role playing stand point. You're average 40 dollar radio at a sporting goods store has 8 un-encrypted channels with an average range of 5-8 miles or so. My character is more of a loaner, I prefer avoiding contact with other people if possible. So if I had one of these basic radios I could listen in on all the channels from the outskirts of a town to see if there was anyone nearby communicating.

I realize people will say "Yeah but no one will use it, because it could give away your position, blah blah blah" or "I'd rather just us TS". For you guys I say where is your RP spirit! That'd bring RP to a whole new level.

It wouldn't have to stop there either, just like civilian and military grade equipment, you could do the same with the radios, and over time, as the dev team gets better at what they do, for the clans you could turn those military grade radios into something with an encryption, that way all it sounds like to someone trying to listen in is static, but if a rival clan cracks their code or figures out their code, they could listen in on their movements.

The possibilities are endless with it, and now that I'm on a role with it, it's kind of exciting. I think that would be an amazing addition to the game and create a whole new level of realism and depth to our RP community.

EDIT: Got carried away with myself =P Still don't even know if this is even possible, but it sounds awesome if it is.

Trash items in the fact that people wouldn't be honest when using them. I agree that some people would be honest and use them, but I feel the majority of players wouldn't care about them and would never even touch them. (Also: I'm not sure if that's an intentionally loaded statement, but I chose not to take it that way).

So then why the fuck do you call this a roleplay server? At the least it can tell the difference from RP'er to non-RP'er. I like how this server allows many levels of RP, so hardcore RP'ers and RP dabblers alike can play. For trash RP items, it's not like it's going to hurt anyone, so why can't we use them yet?

• MVP

So then why the fuck do you call this a roleplay server? At the least it can tell the difference from RP'er to non-RP'er. I like how this server allows many levels of RP, so hardcore RP'ers and RP dabblers alike can play. For trash RP items, it's not like it's going to hurt anyone, so why can't we use them yet?

As I've said before, I'm at least considering putting them in. I'm not even against the idea of it. You really shouldn't just randomly assume these things and get worked up about it. And it technically isn't in yet because we have yet to even put out the new patch.

But seriously, relax, there isn't a need for that kind of tone for this.

DayZ is just a base code that the dev team here uses to build off of to create our own mod, right? There's things in the regular DayZ play that we don't have here and that goes the other way.

I don't think you would need to create specific clan channels though. I think that'd be the beauty of it from a role playing stand point. You're average 40 dollar radio at a sporting goods store has 8 un-encrypted channels with an average range of 5-8 miles or so. My character is more of a loaner, I prefer avoiding contact with other people if possible. So if I had one of these basic radios I could listen in on all the channels from the outskirts of a town to see if there was anyone nearby communicating.

I realize people will say "Yeah but no one will use it, because it could give away your position, blah blah blah" or "I'd rather just us TS". For you guys I say where is your RP spirit! That'd bring RP to a whole new level.

It wouldn't have to stop there either, just like civilian and military grade equipment, you could do the same with the radios, and over time, as the dev team gets better at what they do, for the clans you could turn those military grade radios into something with an encryption, that way all it sounds like to someone trying to listen in is static, but if a rival clan cracks their code or figures out their code, they could listen in on their movements.

The possibilities are endless with it, and now that I'm on a role with it, it's kind of exciting. I think that would be an amazing addition to the game and create a whole new level of realism and depth to our RP community.

EDIT: Got carried away with myself =P Still don't even know if this is even possible, but it sounds awesome if it is.

Sounds like a pretty awesome idea :P. I'd love to try to do something like this, but it might take a while to actually figure out how to do this (if we can).

Honestly, Its not like Arma 2 or DayZ have a very easy to use API, let alone even have one. If we need to change or add something into the code, we have to spend a few hours actually trying to find the lines of code that actually control what we need to change. Let alone creating all of this code without the knowledge of how Arma mods can interact with groups/VON/being able to control VON. People like to assume that we have the knowledge of the Arma 2 Developers or something, but we don't.

Its still worth a shot though :P

Sounds like a pretty awesome idea :P. I'd love to try to do something like this, but it might take a while to actually figure out how to do this (if we can).

Honestly, Its not like Arma 2 or DayZ have a very easy to use API, let alone even have one. If we need to change or add something into the code, we have to spend a few hours actually trying to find the lines of code that actually control what we need to change. Let alone creating all of this code without the knowledge of how Arma mods can interact with groups/VON/being able to control VON. People like to assume that we have the knowledge of the Arma 2 Developers or something, but we don't.

Its still worth a shot though :P

I think it would be an amazing addition to the game, I'm sure we probably aren't the first community to think of it, but if you guys could pull it off we would be the ONLY community with it.

Off topic, its stuff like this that is making me love this community. The dev team here actually gives a damn!

As I've said before, I'm at least considering putting them in. I'm not even against the idea of it. You really shouldn't just randomly assume these things and get worked up about it. And it technically isn't in yet because we have yet to even put out the new patch.

But seriously, relax, there isn't a need for that kind of tone for this.

I think I'm angry about your attitude towards RP objects, if they have no practical in-game purpose :P. I think it has something to do with my argument on art or some shit... I mean, RP (or at least in this case) is when you're meant to basically imagine actions happening, like a piece of literature. What's so difficult about adding an object anyways if they already work fine?

Another idea would be to copy the group management that the Wasteland mod has. Basically you invite people into your group and that creates a squad/group (this kind of squad) and in it you can simply use the already implemented group chat. This does not require you to have a radio, though. But I am sure there is some way to fix that with some coding.

@Rel- nonono not loaded, it was serious. i wasnt singling you out or anything of the sort. i was merely saying that there are categories or RPers, Meta gamers being one of them. ((not calling you a meta gamer)) its a item in the game that could entertain the community with. maybe we can vote on it?