Server time (UTC): 2020-01-19, 06:11 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
Ominous

Amount of people typing?

Ok so i have been playing dayzRP SA for about a week or so now and i have encountered a HUGE amount of people that are typing and not using a mic in game. This is leading to some poor RP in situations such as trying to work out who killed who for what reason after a firefight.

Some people that type have actually just ignored me when i say hello and keep running around looking for loot, the only reply i get is "can't talk" which isn't roleplaying at all.

I haven't come across anyone that has been able to role-play properly without a mic in standalone and its getting annoying when its almost every other person that is typing, maybe its just my bad luck.

Thought i would share my bad experience of this and see what others think!

Well, meet Amy Strange or Daisy Bloom, AMAZING text Rpers, and that is just two examples, there are plenty out their, you have just been unfortunate enough not to meet any of them.

Well, meet Amy Strange or Daisy Bloom, AMAZING text Rpers, and that is just two examples, there are plenty out their, you have just been unfortunate enough not to meet any of them.

Yeah, i hope i do because its tainted my view on text RPers so far!

Then you are meeting the wrong kind of people. I myself have had to text RP plenty either by choice or not and have not used it as an excuse to not RP.

I also met someone just the other day who was text RPing and answered me each time I spoke.

And I know many text RPers and they do not slack on their RP at all because of it.

We cannot and would not force anyone to have to VON in game. But those who are not going to RP with you, just like if with voice, could be potentially reported for badrp.

Then you are meeting the wrong kind of people. I myself have had to text RP plenty either by choice or not and have not used it as an excuse to not RP.

I also met someone just the other day who was text RPing and answered me each time I spoke.

And I know many text RPers and they do not slack on their RP at all because of it.

We cannot and would not force anyone to have to VON in game. But those who are not going to RP with you, just like if with voice, could be potentially reported for badrp.

I will start recording more incase i come across more of the bad text RP characters. I have probably been unlucky with who i come across i guess.

Aw, thanks.

But from OP's POV, I can totally see why it'd be annoying for people to use text as an escape from RPing with people. That, in my opinion, is bad form.

Text RP should be something that's combined with voice, if you can. If not, then good text RPers should know how to use creative writing to keep people entertained while maintaining immersion.

But then again, I've been known to be pretty snobby against anti-text RPers. <3

As I'm a text RPer, I try each time I can to reply on others (even if that lead my very often into some victim situations in robberies, because of lack of reactivity when typing). But yeah, I prefer text RP for a single reason : I'm a male player, playing a girl IC so, voices won't match! :)

I think you just had some bad luck, I met a few text RPers, and they were all fair when initiate some RP.

ATM the codec for voip isn't good and it lags most of the time. Text rp is easier to use rather than speech as people will understand it better than a lagging voice.

ATM the codec for voip isn't good and it lags most of the time. Text rp is easier to use rather than speech as people will understand it better than a lagging voice.

I can second that the the current codec is pretty bad. I would actually greatly enjoy RP more if the VOIP codec was similar to the one used in Arma 3 Life Mod. Most of the time accents are just even harder to hear, because VOIP cuts out and is basically too quiet for the surrounding environment.

In the end I feel as if being with a person who is text RP'ing just feels a lot more comfortable than a being with a person that is not text RP'ing due to the VOIP issues. It is rather annoying when I have to constantly say "Pardon" or when I don't bother replying, because I didn't hear a word they said.

VOIP RP = Immersion

TEXT RP = Good Functionality

Wasn't me that you met was it Luna, by any chance?

Also, not everyone can Voice RP. Not everyone can get the accents or tones right. Not everyone has a microphone. For some, it's easier to Text-RP. Although it can be annoying to have to stop to type things, and people can meta-game with the names pinging, it's pretty decent.

I personally have never text rp'd but it is very useful and is equal if not better than voice for standalone.

I say this because of the inherent voip lag in standalone right now, by text rping you are eliminating the four to five (what was that i cant hear you's) in any given rp session. Also it is very useful for males rping female characters. And besides you should be familiar with it as you are meant to use text initiation when ever you initiate anyways.(Thats besides the point though)

All in all, have patients there are still people finding their place here in dayzrp and if some are a bit shy or any of the other reasons above. Its all good just make the best of it and have fun.

^____^

Hopefully when mod support for standalone is finally around some good codex plugins which interact with Teamspeak should start popping up. This could be a good replacement and hopefully give the walkie-talkie a use.

I don't think so, it was a girl name, male body, Sarah someone :)

I don't think so, it was a girl name, male body, Sarah someone :)

Ah right. I've been trying to figure out who "Lucy" was, that I met the other day. xD

I get you man, there's gonna be some good text RP'rs, there's gonna be some bad Text RP'rs. The same goes for voice RP'rs as well. In fact, some voice RP'rs do the same exact think you described in the OP.

You have just had a run of bad lack sadly enough, but you'll find some gifted, well known Text RP'rs like some have listed here, some not well known.

From what I've observed on the forums, the people that have had the most enjoying, amazing roleplay they've ever experienced were from text roleplayers, maybe you'll run in to one of those people. :)

You are going to have good and bad rp whether it's text or voice. It's just how it is, not everyone is as experienced as others

I use text more when in large groups who all talk over each other :)

Or use it for emotes I want to express

Personally I am used to text RP and am just getting used to voice RP, however I ran into someone when I first started on DayzRP and I had a mic issue who was pissy about me being on a RP server using text RP so thought it was frowned upon here, so I got my mic fixed pretty quickly.

I am glad there are text RPers out there, as I get used to voice RP I like to use text to denote emote RP actions that cannot be imitated in game, as for the anti-text RP players *Shakes his head slowly and emits a disapproving sigh*

Personally I am used to text RP and am just getting used to voice RP, however I ran into someone when I first started on DayzRP and I had a mic issue who was pissy about me being on a RP server using text RP so thought it was frowned upon here, so I got my mic fixed pretty quickly.

I am glad there are text RPers out there, as I get used to voice RP I like to use text to denote emote RP actions that cannot be imitated in game, as for the anti-text RP players *Shakes his head slowly and emits a disapproving sigh*

Hahah, im not an anti-text RP person but i think if you decide to text RP you need to do it right. I have just had bad experience so far of text RP D:

in fact im not english, my text rp is still better...

beside that, i played ultima online back in the days, there were no mics :P

but yea, mic is def. the better way..

I use both sometimes its just late at night and i need to be quiet or their are people making noise in the background so i default to text RP there are also times where i simply cannot be bothered to do my accent or to speak so again I type nothing wrong with it really.

As people have also mentioned the current codec for the standalone is absolute shit as well everybody is extremely quiet and laggy for no real reason which makes voice RP harder currently as theres nothing more immersion breaking for me that hearing the mic lag and having to say "what?" over and over again.

also yeah the males playing females thing you do not want me to VOIP as a female

Text rp is a very viable option always, but more so in stand alone as the codec they use for the game is a laggy low quality mess.

Also its good for things like,(lights cigarette), or (rolls down window) stuff like that adds depth and detail to vocal role play.

Text rp is a very viable option always, but more so in stand alone as the codec they use for the game is a laggy low quality mess.

Also its good for things like,(lights cigarette), or (rolls down window) stuff like that adds depth and detail to vocal role play.

Once standalone can be modded, a /me command should be added for adding depth using chat while RPing with voice. Could be a nice little command

Well not everyone has the voice of God so they have to use text. :P Also as said the VON can be buggy at times. Last night my mic didnt work in game for some reason.

beside that, i played ultima online back in the days, there were no mics :P

o_o

Omg. Haha.

I can say with confidence that my RP history pretty much began with UO. xD

Crimson Nytefall, the origins: 076202596b.png

and then this on a private shard a few years back. ;)