Server time (UTC): 2021-10-22 19:55

Clan skins? Clan vehicles!

Spotter

• Emerald

Here are some thoughts. I'm not saying "Implement this nao!" I'm saying who wants to brainstorm and see if there is a way we can do this. If we are able to choose the skins of our characters to fit our roles, what about choosing the vehicle that best fits our roles?

For example:

1. CLF and S-GRU get Humvees, Hueys, military vehicles.

2. Injected and various spec ops groups get SUV, Little bird, private military looking things.

3. SDS and ZC get GAZ's and Hilux's/Technicals, and makeshift vehicles.

There's obviously an issue of not overpowering a single group by designating them with a vehicle. There's also the issue of how these groups can fairly get them, or how often they're allowed to have them.

Ideas on how clans obtain the vehicle:

1. Certain amount of parts are collected by the clan, and an industrial area captured for a certain amount of time. Then the admins will take away those items and spawn them their vehicle.

2. Prominent clans (10+ members) get their own base that's out of the way and has custom things like garages. Every 24 hours their clan-specific vehicle spawns in their garage/landing pad completely broken, and it must be fully repaired to operate.

3. A ranking system of how good vehicles are is established, and if a clan obtains a vehicle of equal worth, or several to add up to that worth, they can trade those vehicles in for the clan vehicle.

Ideas on special abilities clan vehicles could have:

1. Locked doors, preventing vehicle and gear theft. It can still be destroyed though.

2. Booby traps (engine goes red when operated by anyone else, or it could even self-destruct)

3. Better gas mileage

4. Designated usage: Only members of the clan can turn on the engine/know how (my buddy never locked his car, because he had to ignate the engine with a screwdriver once the key broke, and only he knew who to do it)

5. Custom skin, not just XML logo. Or the XML logo is persistent even when no one is driving.

6. The model/body of the car is that of their clan vehicle, but has the stats and abilities of another car. (You trade in a Hilux for a humvee, and the humvee has the speed, durability, etc. of the Hilux. It fits roleplay wise and doesn't make them overpowered)

6. etc.

These ideas make a clan vehicle worth having, but doesn't make them vastly overpowered.

Please don't flame, just lemme know what you think about how this fits in terms of roleplay, if it's possible, how it could be made fair, etc. I always thought it would be nice. If you are a clan like S-GRU with a certain role to be played, it doesn't play out well when you roll up in a Skota.

I thought of something like that, I think methaphor suggested that the biggest clan receive 1 free chopper/vehicle. It is pretty hard for non-bandit clan to get their hands on a chopper. But, if there is a way to spawn like 1 chopper/week for the biggest clan, it could be interesting.

2. Injected and various spec ops groups get SUV, Little bird, private military looking things.

Looks like a bit of bias here... Injected (your own clan) get the high-quality vehicles; the chopper and the SUV which has a GPS... "Okay" clans like CLF and S-GRU get the decent vehicles, while the extreme-bandit clans like SDS and ZC get the makeshift vehicles.

Judging by the clan backgrounds, their respective vehicles:

1. CLF and SDS get the technicals (Guerrilla fighters)

2. Injected and ZC get civilian vehicles (Civilians with guns/drugs)

3. S-GRU and SRF gets military vehicles (Military units)

But to be honest, everyone would use civilian cars strapped with makeshift armor, realistically.

• Emerald

Looks like a bit of bias here... Injected (your own clan) get the high-quality vehicles; the chopper and the SUV which has a GPS... "Okay" clans like CLF and S-GRU get the decent vehicles, while the extreme-bandit clans like SDS and ZC get the makeshift vehicles.

Judging by the clan backgrounds, their respective vehicles:

1. CLF and SDS get the technicals (Guerrilla fighters)

2. Injected and ZC get civilian vehicles (Civilians with guns/drugs)

3. S-GRU and SRF gets military vehicles (Military units)

But to be honest, everyone would use civilian cars strapped with makeshift armor, realistically.

I'm not trying to get us the SUV, I'm just saying that they're the private military vehicles and the Injected are striving for that aesthetic. If we were a civilian drug dealing ring I would be a crude dick with a grill. But I try to have a corporate, cold, private military feel. I'd like the SUV even if it was as capable as the GAZ, I just want the aesthetic to match the role I'm trying to create with the clan. For instance, I'm not going for camo to make my guys better in a firefight, I'm going for private military skins to fit the role) Those examples may be off depending on how I've experienced the clans, but you get the point. (The CLF always have camo on and I've only ever seen them in the Huey. I see them as very militaristic)

Make this clear: I don't want my or any group to have easy access to good gear. I haven't even suggested that the Injected are qualified enough to have access to this. I just want the clans that are serious about their roleplay to be able to have their vehicles fit the aesthetic of their roles.

EDIT: I also disagree with everyone using civilian cars. There is very little reason to think that zombies have torn apart the engines of every half decent or military vehicle in the world when they ran out of survivors to kill. The cars should virtually be untouched. Just spattered with blood. The only thing that would be gone is fuel.

This is a biological apocalypse, not a nuclear apocalypse.

The RP feel of the Injected is more like a drug syndicate to me vs a local bunch of drug dealers. I'd say ominous-looking SUVs with deeply tinted windows are more appropriate :D

Since SRF is both a private security force and a non-nationalistic military unit (in practice), both SUVs and military vehicles could be appropriate for us.

• Emerald

The RP feel of the Injected is more like a drug syndicate to me vs a local bunch of drug dealers. I'd say ominous-looking SUVs with deeply tinted windows are more appropriate :D

Since SRF is both a private security force and a non-nationalistic military unit (in practice), both SUVs and military vehicles could be appropriate for us.

Well I'm glad someone gets what I'm going for xD But anyway, that's not the issue to be addressed here. What vehicles each clan would have access to would be decided if we established this is possible and fair.

I also disagree with everyone using civilian cars. There is very little reason to think that zombies have torn apart the engines of every half decent or military vehicle in the world when they ran out of survivors to kill. The cars should virtually be untouched. Just spattered with blood. The only thing that would be gone is fuel.

Of course, but when was the last time you found a military vehicle lying around? Most've 'em are stockpiled in military bases, and most RP clans and characters are civilians trying to survive anyways. Problem with enforcing this is that everyone would pick for a heli or something high-quality, yet it's still an available option. The list would have to be restricted to similar-quality vehicles with different strengths and weaknesses (like in those racing games)

I think it's a great idea. It would really help promote RP and would make clans feel a bit more badass without yet becoming OP.

• Emerald

Of course, but when was the last time you found a military vehicle lying around?

Actually I live next to a barracks in Midwest United States. There's like a Humvee fleet there and it isn't even militarized. lol If the percentage of the population that survives was equal to Chernarus's, every survivor could have their own personal armored military truck with arms and munitions.

• MVP

I think it's a great idea. It would really help promote RP and would make clans feel a bit more badass without yet becoming OP.

How can it not be OP when all clans beside SDS and ZC get choppers?:P

• Emerald

How can it not be OP when all clans beside SDS and ZC get choppers?:P

Well then suggest that choppers can't be a part of the system.

• Emerald

I can't think of an armored vehicle that wouldn't be just a little bit OP... Aside from humvees and Land Rovers which are quiteexposed for the crew to balance their little bit of armour.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Vodnik has the same armour value as Humvee, but Vodnik has only 4 little windows at the front and a closed in crew compartment at the rear.

It would be perfect if armour values of vehicles like this could be altered to leave them durable but not bullet proof.

• MVP

Great ideas but I don't think we should limit any group to any particular vehicles. We shouldn't have to pigeonhole the way we play just to cater for our back-story.

Besides there is always room for characters to grow and become more skilled and technical. So there is no reason why SDS could not use a chopper. Scavenging would become key.

Great ideas to further differentiate groups but ultimately we should be encouraging vehicles to have a high turnover to create drama, encourage some sort of trade system and it also gives everyone the ability to actively go out to find vehicles.

This idea is not without merit, but it seems kinds of counter productive,

• MVP

And, what if SDS steals a SGRU vehicle? Will it be de-spawned then? :P

There is no way to control what vehicles people use.

• MVP

Although idea could be fun, the implementation(how to decide if area was captured ? How to make vehicles with custom parameters ? How to balance them out ? Etc etc ),neccesity of admin involvment (only Rolle and Zoarial can spawn/change stuff in database) are a great obstacle. Already the development of mod as it is was a pain for Dev Team. Jukki,Jamie,Rel spent countless hours to make it working in state you will see. Another huge step will be more weapons,skins and few other improvments and it will be a huge time hog. I wouldn't expect more addons as standalone will be in close future and current mod will definietly take time to tweak for optimal balance :)

• Emerald

I like the idea of clan bases. If you have a certain number of members you get a sort of PCB but a bit smaller then the normal pcb's. Also maybe only clan members can open the gates and so on. But if not done correctly it would make the clans all but unstoppable

I think these kind of bases would be like the hidden campsites that have been added. They could be locked like you said, but I feel like they should merely be designated places for that group to hang out. Maybe a fireplace, water spot, etc. If we could get creative and get them themed for each group as well, that'd be awesome. Like Injected would be a bunch of ruins, SRF or S-GRU have camo netting and such.