Server time (UTC): 2020-12-03, 17:22
Sign in to follow this  
Mischief

When Is It Appropriate?

Lately there has been an escalation in the use of and rape "jokes" around the server, both IG and in the TS. I've never experienced any of this my first month of being on the server (which was incredibly recently) but over the last week it's gotten a little out of hand. I get people want to joke around and there's no harm in jokes, but there are a few serious matters you really shouldn't joke about in general. Especially if it's about rape.

So, I'm going to make a short guide of when it's appropriate to use them:

1. It's never appropriate.

It's not funny. It's highly disrespectful. I don't give a damn if you're from a place where it's "accepted". It's not acceptable in general. Cut the crap, stop making them.

Thanks, have a nice day.

Agreed, it's distasteful.

+1

But please, can you link me those jokes? I want to make myself my own picture.

I've never heard rape jokes...maybe you should stop talking to certain people???

But yeah, it's not nice

I've never heard rape jokes...maybe you should stop talking to certain people???

But yeah, it's not nice

Usually I quit the room vocally tell them to not make them.

The sad thing is that people make them without thinking about it, which is kind of sad and scary to me.

I've heard aids, ebola, anal-fisting jokes, but never about rape. That's something new I guess.

It honestly depends on the joke and who you tell it to, those kind of jokes can be funny but they are certainly not for everyone so people should be more careful about who you tell them to.

It honestly depends on the joke and who you tell it to, those kind of jokes can be funny but they are certainly not for everyone so people should be more careful about who you tell them to.

Just no dude, rape is not funny bro....

You do not decide what people can and can not find funny. Like I said, people like you wouldn't appreciate jokes of that nature so be careful who you tell and where you tell it.

Different people are offended from different things, some more than others. You can never please all but do realize that some have chosen not to fall to the common mold of "get offended by everything" and they can stand even the darkest of humour there is. Which is good since every subject no matter what it is should be available for jokes. Getting offended for other people is the worst kind of behavior from humans. And let me tell you that most people get offended for other people. But then again everyone have their own ideals of what jokes can and cant be. But for the love of god don't try to force your own narrow mindedness to other people.

Making a joke about something doesn't mean that the thing joked about is actually funny. A thing that many people seem to mix together. Joking about that jews rule the world with money behind the curtains is a joke but isn't that also a racist joke? But still people find that funny. Black people and KFC plus watermelons? People find it funny but isn't it racist too. If you find gifs, jokes about those things or things similar to those funny then one shouldn't get offended by rapes jokes since racism is as bad as rape. Or does someone dare to say that one of those is a milder crime and should be a subject of joke when the other isn't?

Oh and to add, some people simply want to get offended.

You do not decide what people can and can not find funny. Like I said, people like you wouldn't appreciate jokes of that nature so be careful who you tell and where you tell it.

Ok give me an example of a rape joke you find funny...and I said rape is not funny, and its not...

Ok give me an example of a rape joke you find funny...and I said rape is not funny, and its not...

"Statistically... 9 out of 10 people enjoy gang rape."

"This joke is like a rapist. It's going to score whether you like it or not."

Sue me. It's the truth. Can't hide from it. Truth hurts but it's also funny.

USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST

I could easily find you a joke of that nature that I find funny however this isn't the place for it and you aren't the type of person I would share it with. Some people are into darker humor, accept it and move on.

There is a time and place for that kind of joke and it's not in public, You can make any off colour joke you want with your mates in private I know I do but a public TS isn't the place

Remember just because something is funny to you it may not be to everyone and you have no idea what they have been through in life so things like rape joke are best kept to yourself, it's basic human decency and manners not rocket science

There is a time and place for that kind of joke and it's not in public, You can make any off colour joke you want with your mates in private I know I do but a public TS isn't the place

Remember just because something is funny to you it may not be to everyone and you have no idea what they have been through in life so things like rape joke are best kept to yourself, it's basic human decency and manners not rocket science

Well with that ideology all jokes should be said only when there are people that enjoy such jokes around since you cannot know whatever person has been trough in his life. Limiting it to simply one category is selfish.

Well with that ideology all jokes should be said only when there are people that enjoy such jokes around since you cannot know whatever person has been trough in his life. Limiting it to simply one category is selfish.

I think the message is try and lay off on the darker humor when you don't know how others would take it, which I agree with. I do however disagree with the extreme that 'some'thing' is never funny.

Agreed

It's hardly selfish to consider the feelings of others, it won't exactly do you any harm to not make jokes on possibly painful subjects when in a public place.

And yes if you are going to make a joke about rape it's something you do when you know your audience.

I think the message is try and lay off on the darker humor when you don't know how others would take it, which I agree with. I do however disagree with the extreme that 'some'thing' is never funny.

The only reason people find subjects such as rape funny is because they don't understand the effects something like that has on an actual victim, if someone you were close to or even you, if you were raped would you have the same view on this subject, I am just curious because if you think a person forcefully having sex with anyone without consent, taking away a piece of that person humanity and most permanently scarring that person for life is funny then something is seriously wrong....

It's hardly selfish to consider the feelings of others, it won't exactly do you any harm to not make jokes on possibly painful subjects when in a public place.

And yes if you are going to make a joke about rape it's something you do when you know your audience.

Well then all jokes should be banned because of considering feelings of others. You never know what offends someone as something always offends someone out there. Always.

What would be a better way to rid yourself of those not like minded than to tell a painful joke in a public place? It's effective since those who dislike your jokes will eventually grow to dislike you or they force you to change.

The only reason people find subjects such as rape funny is because they don't understand the effects something like that has on an actual victim, if someone you were close to or even you, if you were raped would you have the same view on this subject, I am just curious because if you think a person forcefully having sex with anyone without consent, taking away a piece of that person humanity and most permanently scarring that person for life is funny then something is seriously wrong....

You're correct, if someone close to me was raped I would most likely not appreciate darker jokes like that. However someone close to me hasn't been raped so I'm not offended by it in any way shape or form. I understand people wouldn't find jokes on the darker side funny and that's fine. However I'll say it again you can not tell me what I should or should not find funny, you may have your own opinions but it's just that - your opinion.

Well then all jokes should be banned because of considering feelings of others. You never know what offends someone as something always offends someone out there. Always.

What would be a better way to rid yourself of those not like minded than to tell a painful joke in a public place? It's effective since those who dislike your jokes will eventually grow to dislike you or they force you to change.

1) There is a bit difference between someone being offended because of a scouse joke and someone getting offended by a rape joke because they know someone or god forbid experienced it themselves

2) tell it in a public place to rid of people not like yourself...You try that one, seriously try it see how life works out for you if you walk around in public telling rape or racist jokes

Except the TS server is a shared space.

Rape is never funny. I agree with OP. If you think it's funny, you need professional help.

Finding a dark joke funny doesn't mean that you find the subject itself funny. Or approve such thing, which seems to be the case here.

Finding a dark joke funny equals finding the subject funny. That seems to be the oppositions argument here.