Server time (UTC): 2020-12-03, 04:36
Sign in to follow this  
Poised Gibbon

Ruleset Confusion

I based my original application on the SA ruleset as I've never even played the mod (I assumed the little message at the top was just out of date and someone had forgot to remove it), which I've obviously learnt from this support forum to be a mistake.

When I received my guidance I was simply informed that key issues were missing (not that I was clearly using the wrong ruleset) so simply combed through the SA rules again to ensure I was covering all the bases and was of course rejected again therefore (with the exact same response, it's at that point I came to the support forums).

The delays and wasted time are a little frustrating I suppose, but I'm more concerned that this means I only have 1 attempt to apply using the correct ruleset (so if I mess up in any way, I guess gg all).

Is this convolution regarding rulesets a deliberate part of the screening process that I have failed miserably?

If so then fair enough, if not then an obvious suggestion would be to make the SA rules only available to existing members.

If they are not in effect then they are presumably only posted for all to see so that the community can engage in their development? By making the access members only, this would ensure that goal is still met while avoiding any further casualties to my error of assumption.

You got 3 tries in total, if you get denied on the third try you get blacklisted.

Yeah I mentioned this earlier that a message needs to be posted on the whitelist page as a lot of people have done this and i had a quick look earlier it doesnt tell you which rules to go off although you would think the big banner at the top of the SA rules telling you to use the mod ones would be enough.

You are in fact supposed to apply using the MOD ruleset as the SA ones are still under development

ac29cd8b51.jpg

Firstly, I'm sorry for your confusion but the SA section clearly states that those rules are not in effect yet and to reference the Mod Rules.

That being said, to simply move on from here, comb through the mod rules in your final attempt and don't be afraid to ask for help if you have any more confusion.

/Solving

I can only speak for myself, but as an outsider looking in, it is far from clear. Perhaps to a longstanding community member it is naturally obvious, but to my perspective, far from it.

A single message on a single web page with no mention of it anywhere else (except if you search support forums) might be enough for some, but it is not even included in the FAQ section, nor did my rejection guidance pick up on the clearly different rulesets.

My assumption was actually that someone had forgotten to change the message simply because the existing pass phrase system relied on the mod rule set and you therefore needed people to read through that to find it.

Please don't take this response as being argumentative, I am simply giving my feedback regarding my experience as a new user attempting to join your community.

If the confusion is by deliberate design, then as I've said, fair play. However if it is not deliberate, I think something should be done about it.

I can only speak for myself, but as an outsider looking in, it is far from clear. Perhaps to a longstanding community member it is naturally obvious, but to my perspective, far from it.

A single message on a single web page with no mention of it anywhere else (except if you search support forums) might be enough for some, but it is not even included in the FAQ section, nor did my rejection guidance pick up on the clearly different rulesets.

My assumption was actually that someone had forgotten to change the message simply because the existing pass phrase system relied on the mod rule set and you therefore needed people to read through that to find it.

Please don't take this response as being argumentative, I am simply giving my feedback regarding my experience as a new user attempting to join your community.

If the confusion is by deliberate design, then as I've said, fair play. However if it is not deliberate, I think something should be done about it.

While I do appreciate the feedback, the large bold text is not the only place where this has been mentioned. A simple search of which rules to follow would have saved you in your second attempt. As far as it not being mentioned in the FAQ, I'll admit that you do raise a point and I will bring it up to possibly being added.

Could you point me to where else it is mentioned, I didn't spot it. I read through both rule sets, the whitelist instructions, the FAQ, had a little look at some news and checked out a few forums posts in the SA section (and obviously took heed of my application rejection guidance). I must have missed the other places in which it is mentioned, if it's obviously stated in a number of other spots and I've just been a muppet then I'll happily modify my feedback.

The only other place I found it discussed was in the support forums.

Standalone rules, large white text at the top.

We are mid under transition from mod to Standalone, some things are still to be moved and replaced and may be confusing. Sorry for the inconvenience.

the large bold text is not the only place where this has been mentioned.

Yes, I was already aware of that one, as stated from the beginning, I'd incorrectly assumed this was simply outdated, I was asking where else it was mentioned in the literature, or should someone be expected to search the forums to successfully apply?

I'm simply coming from the viewpoint of a new user who may be blacklisted due to this confusion. I wouldn't want other players to run into the same problem if that isn't the intention and especially if there's a simple fix. :)

Yes, I was already aware of that one, as stated from the beginning, I'd incorrectly assumed this was simply outdated, I was asking where else it was mentioned in the literature, or should someone be expected to search the forums to successfully apply?

I'm simply coming from the viewpoint of a new user who may be blacklisted due to this confusion. I wouldn't want other players to run into the same problem if that isn't the intention and especially if there's a simple fix. :)

I would say do not assume we are outdated on something that is actually so new? :)

IMO, it would not be a bad idea if more new people looked around the forums a bit before applying. The things they could learn to not become rejected the first time.

But I do agree with the putting it in the FAQ :)

When it comes to things like this, it's best just not to assume anything. In the future if you are confused, simply use the search function at the top of your screen and you will find that more often then not, other members will have already made a post regarding the question in mind. In this case, there are already questions about which rules to reference when filling out a whitelist application and is what I was personally referring to when I stated that there were other places you could find the information needed to move forward other than the large page header in the rules section.

IMO, it would not be a bad idea if more new people looked around the forums a bit before applying.

As earlier stated, I did exactly what you describe and had a browse around the forums a little before applying. :)

I'm glad to see that some changes have been made, I think that this will ensure that no other users fall into the same trap as me. Good to see a leadership that listens to feedback from new voices. I think it's a very promising sign when a community recognises that outsiders and new members tend to bring a different perspective on issues. Such perspectives can be invaluable at times, although of course not necessarily all the time! ;)

Anyway, time to get working on my last application attempt, I hope to be able to join you all in game soon (fingers crossed).

IMO, it would not be a bad idea if more new people looked around the forums a bit before applying. The things they could learn to not become rejected the first time.

This right here. I spent a few days learning about this community and deciding whether or not it was a good fit before ever applying, and then even more time reading up on reports and forum posts and chatting with users before ever joining them in game. Obviously, not everyone is going to do that, but I've always said that patience is a required attribute of a good DayZRP player.

Good luck in your application. You seem like a sensible, well-spoken fellow. I'm sure you'll be a credit to the community soon.