Server time (UTC): 2020-11-27, 07:58
Sign in to follow this  
Jurrian

Power- and metagaming

Power- and metagaming is something I don't fully understand if someone could explain to mean what this is with some examples, I'd be very grateful.

Yup, Terra nailed it on the head with this one. Everything you need should be in there. I'm going to mark this as solved, but it will remain open if you have any further questions.

tl;dr - metagaming: using something you (the player) know to help your character. For example, if you've spoken to SweetJoe in TS, and you know SweetJoe is one of the most notorious and feared bandits on the server (he's not, I'm just ribbing him). Later that day, you're in game and your character runs into SweetJoe's character. You recognize SweetJoe's voice and know that he's a bandit - your character does not. Play as though your character does not realize that Joe's about to take everything you own.

Powergaming: Forcing an action or state of being on another player's character - You cannot tell Terra that you (your character) met her character on the French Riviera and had a torrid love affair, and don't you remember me? Similarly, you cannot emote in game * I knock you down and hold you down with my knee at the back of your neck *. You must give the other player an opportunity to resist. It's fine to * tries to knock you down *, but it's up to the other player to roll with your punches or not.

godmodding: Always having the answer to everything / having an OP character who knows everything and can do anything. For example, someone hands you a false ID. If you then claim that you just happen to have a powerful UV flashlight and the technical know-how to spot a fake ID, that's kind of godmodding. We don't run into this much here; it's much more common in solely text based RP communities. I cba to come up with a good example, but when you see it, it sounds like eight year olds arguing. "Nuh-uh, cuz I have [weird superpower #368]" "Oh yeah, well I have [weird superpower #652, which perfectly counteracts weird superpower #368]" etc. etc. ad infinitum.