Server time: 2017-10-23, 07:48
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Grumby

Ableton Live 9

Guest Grumby   
Guest Grumby

Anyone think they're good with it and could give a crash course? I downloaded the 30 day trial last night. I'm trying to get into music production, preferably EDM, DnB etc. but would be happy to have the ability to do anything.

Josh    37

It is a very expensive software that you probably wont figure out in the trial period.

But you can mess around ya know.

Idk how limited the samples are on the trial or if you can download more than what it comes with.

Start simple and move from that.

Also try Fl studio its a bit more intuitive and is much cheaper.

Quickan    3

Tbh, Logic is the only way to go. 140 eu for the basic version is a steal. However, its not the program who costs. Its the Vst/component's.

Using the standard plugins is like making guitar sounds on a synthesizer.

Guest Grumby   
Guest Grumby

Yeah all the tutorials for Ableton aren't what I'm looking for and just leave me more confused and to tell me to buy better tutorials. Any insight on the learning resources for FL Studio or Logic?

Quickan    3

Yeah all the tutorials for Ableton aren't what I'm looking for and just leave me more confused and to tell me to buy better tutorials. Any insight on the learning resources for FL Studio or Logic?

I've been using logic in 4 years now but its super easy to learn. It the same about the rest of the program who have the same purpose like Cubase, Protools, fl studio, reaper etc.

The main difference between all of these is how much you can do with the programs except recording and programming midi files. I'd like to say that if you want a professional software you have to chose between Cubase, Protools and Logic. They have the best software for mixing, mastering, eq etc.

Apart from that they have a wide base of users so there is lots of plugins, especially cubase since its used more for underground music where some artist's doesn't want to pay for the software licenses and doesn't want to buy a Mac Pro. Fl studio can be used for making the midi files but in the end its a pain in the ass to mix and make a proper release.

In the end its about the artist, not the software. However, you still need the tools to get it how you want and I feel Logic and maybe Pro Tools is the only program who I enjoy working in and where I get best results from.

Both of these program is easy to use tho even if they are for professionals. I guess there is a lot of tutorials on youtube but keep in mind that you need a Mac to use Logic or ProTools, but I guess you already knew that Mac is more used in music than Windows.

Guest Grumby   
Guest Grumby

-

Thanks for the write up, very helpful. The problem there is that I have Windows and a low budget. I don't want to spend money until I find out if music production is something that I actually want to do and stick with which is why the 30 day free trial for Ableton live is pretty useful at the moment. Even then the most basic version of Ableton is 63 euro at the moment which is pretty good. I just don't know where to start, there's so much to learn at once that it feels like too much. But I still really want to get into this.

Quickan    3

-

Thanks for the write up, very helpful. The problem there is that I have Windows and a low budget. I don't want to spend money until I find out if music production is something that I actually want to do and stick with which is why the 30 day free trial for Ableton live is pretty useful at the moment. Even then the most basic version of Ableton is 63 euro at the moment which is pretty good. I just don't know where to start, there's so much to learn at once that it feels like too much. But I still really want to get into this.

Its no problem, I enjoy talking about music.

Then you should go for cubase I think. I'm not saying you should pirate it or anything until you get money but maybe you can solve it someway. Don't forget to look up plugins so you can create a good sound and get how you expect it to sound like.

However, like I said its before. Its not the software, its the artist in the end. If you're not don't have any background to music before it might be good to take some lessons in piano etc the get the hang of tones, scales etc and practice your ear.

Guest Grumby   
Guest Grumby

Its no problem, I enjoy talking about music.

Then you should go for cubase I think. I'm not saying you should pirate it or anything until you get money but maybe you can solve it someway. Don't forget to look up plugins so you can create a good sound and get how you expect it to sound like.

However, like I said its before. Its not the software, its the artist in the end. If you're not don't have any background to music before it might be good to take some lessons in piano etc the get the hang of tones, scales etc and practice your ear.

It'd be handy if the artist knew what he was doing :P Alright, I'll look up Cubase. I was thinking of getting into guitar too. I'm gonna have to get better at accepting I can't do what I want to do straight away. Thanks again.