Server time: 2017-08-20, 23:11

Sign in to follow this  
TrilbyAsh

0.51 Current New Features

TrilbyAsh    6

So. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm personally looking forward to everything 0.51 is currently offering as shiny new things.

So what's offered currently in 0.51?

patch-051-v3s-tent.jpg

I'll tell you what. Nothing hugely game changing, but there's definitely a fair few things us Roleplayers could find incredibly useful and interesting.

Of course, the huge selling point this patch, is the V3S, which everyone is ranting and raving about. I don't think much needs to be said about them. They're rudimentary at best, but they'll be setting the framework for much more detailed features.

And going from the "Biggest selling point", we quickly motor onto the most controversial feature. Cannibalism is coming. Yep. From 0.51, you'll be able to chew on the corpses of other players. This isn't a place to discuss how this will be used on RP, I might add. That's been done already. But here's the details on it as a feature.

You can carve up those delicious morsels you call friends. Or even your enemies. Even someone you just happen to come across laid dead in the street! Anyone is up for grabs, as long as you have a knife to hand. Just be careful, as eating corpses can sometimes prove to be a little problematic. What's the downside? You might end up with a little thing known as "Brain Disease". This will cause you to laugh or cry hysterically at random times. Not very helpful if you want a stealthy approach...But great, if you want to scare the pants off a survivor in the middle of the night.

Now for the biggest bits and bobs that might impact the day to day life of us Roleplayers...

This patch will be bringing along a few changes to the designs of Heli-Crashes, a brand new medium range gun, and Ghillie Suits. Yep. People can be walking bushes once more. In 0.51 you can craft four pieces of clothing for yourself, out of nothing but Burlap Sacks, and the brand new item "Netting". These can be combined together to create either a Hood, a Bushrag, or a Top for your character to wear. Or you can make a gun wrap (Similar to the one already in place for Mosins, but a whole lot more bushy). All of these can be left "As is", or you can spraypaint them with a green spraycan to make them a little more natural looking.

lqtdZQK-672x1024.png

Now, there is a drawback to being completely one with nature. You can't wear a backpack with the top (And the bushrag, I believe, which goes over your shoulders). You can store these in your backpack, but you can't wear a backpack with them. Thankfully though, these items are worn over your clothes. It just stops your backpack abilities.

Following on from the talk of backpacks, there's a new pack to be found out there. You know how many slots it has? 252. It might sound ridiculous, but let me fill you in.

300px-Items_Big_Military_Tent_Backpack.png?version=b89677fb437fa071c75cd5e599435749

The deal with this, is it's a mobile tent. A military tent. You sling it onto your back and haul it around with you, setting up in convenient spots. Now this will be something I'm sure a lot of you will like, just for the fact you've got a mobile building essentially.

1JFmiRQ-1024x576.jpg

Yep. You can rig this up anywhere at all. Got a group of people on the move? You've got a portable "Base camp". It can be a command tent. It could even be a trader's tent. You can even open and close the door flaps. The only thing not handy about it, is the fact that it is a tent. Those things won't stop bullets, you can bank on that. But just you think of all the fun you can have with one of those things. Sure, you have to give up your backpack to haul it around...But it's definitely something incredibly valuable for event makers and large groups. I look forward to seeing how people use them.

And finally for...Well. The last of the "Features". I wouldn't call them "new", but they're definitely there. Water pumps have been fixed in this patch, and so have Walkie Talkies. Walkie Talkies broke down a little while ago, when the Devs tried to amp the range up from 1000m, to 30km. Now, they've fixed them up. With the 30km range. This is incredible, because the Walkies will now in essence cover the entirety of Chernarus. So now it means all sorts of things can come from it. Radio stations, emergency broadcasts, long range communications, hell...You could call for help, or tell people about roaming bandits locations, trader zones or the terms of a hostage situation. The possibilities are now endless!

So as I keep saying. Lots and lots of possibility. Just find the right tools, and potentia becomes your plaything.

Until the next patch,

Keep surviving.

~Trilby

TrilbyAsh    6

I like this thread.

Much obliged, Mr Presidente. I got the writer's itch again. Really, I should keep that old thread of mine up to date with a list of patchnotes, but I think this works better. A monthly writeup of the biggest and the best features Experimental is offering. From the wildly controversial, to the small things people might not have noticed yet. :3

Tamaster92    14

Great write up!

Except the walkie talkies aren't 30km :) they still have the 800-1km range :)

Josh    37

Yeah keep this thread going, a lot of people don't like reading through change logs.

So breaking it down like this is nice to see.

Hex    31

Great write up!

Except the walkie talkies aren't 30km :) they still have the 800-1km range :)

I beg to differ, Mister Panda. Here's my sauce on that matter. Confirmation from Hicks and all that. I do my research before posting numbers. ;)

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/26mtqr/suggestion_radio_broadcasting_with_actual/chsp0xf?context=1

Hm, well while I have not played current experimental, this video of recent stuffs shows it being about 800m

[video=youtube]

Though it could have been updated to a might higher level.

TrilbyAsh    6

Hm, well while I have not played current experimental, this video of recent stuffs shows it being about 800m

Though it could have been updated to a might higher level.

Perhaps for the minute they've had to reduce it back down again to make sure it's working properly. We should expect to see it ramped up to that distance at some point, once any of the current bugs are hammered out, assuming they haven't already. :3

TrilbyAsh    6

10/10 nice patch notes. So we looking at this patch ''soon'' i guess?

Aha! Great spot there, I forgot the ETA.

According to Hicks, we should expect to see all this hit the Stable Branch this Wednesday after the weekly Wednesday Maintenance. This is assuming that all goes well, but usually Hicks has a good handle on these things. Most of this is good to go after all.

lassejj    0

10/10 nice patch notes. So we looking at this patch ''soon'' i guess?

Aha! Great spot there, I forgot the ETA.

According to Hicks, we should expect to see all this hit the Stable Branch this Wednesday after the weekly Wednesday Maintenance. This is assuming that all goes well, but usually Hicks has a good handle on these things. Most of this is good to go after all.

This gonna be good! Cheers! :D

I demand this thread to be made sticky! Maybe make this a weekly/monthly thing?

Also, I thought/read/heard that the V3S and vehicles will stay in experimental and won't hit stable until the first quarter of 2015.

Do you have any info regarding that? I can't really see vehicles hitting stable when the new renderer isn't even out yet.

Tamaster92    14

I believe I've read that the AUG rifle is included in .51 right?

yes

TrilbyAsh    6

I demand this thread to be made sticky! Maybe make this a weekly/monthly thing?

Also, I thought/read/heard that the V3S and vehicles will stay in experimental and won't hit stable until the first quarter of 2015.

Do you have any info regarding that? I can't really see vehicles hitting stable when the new renderer isn't even out yet.

Well this is quoted from Hicks's most recent status report.

"November and December are busy months for DayZ. Coming up next week we're aiming for the 0.51 update to stable branch, we have the conclusion of our Private Shard contest, and of course.. the initial implementation (at a very basic level) of wheeled vehicles into stable branch."

I believe I've read that the AUG rifle is included in .51 right?

Yes, yes it is. Spawns at the newly updated Heli Crash Sites, with it's own magazines. It takes M4 rounds though, and the M4's mags are compatible with it. :3

Murdercool    32

Lovely read Trilby! Hope you do this for every update as it does come in handy and is very informative! :)

TrilbyAsh    6

Lovely read Trilby! Hope you do this for every update as it does come in handy and is very informative! :)

Cheers Murdy. If all goes well, I'll try and get these going again. Just depends on my own willpower I suppose. xD

PCJames    167

Wow all of these features are amazing! Cannot Wait!

Very organised and cover's most of 0.51. Very nice job, Thank you for the thread. I'm so excited for 0.51 stable.

Sam    1

+1 Instead of Towns the big clans can now make their own Tent City's to call home for Survivors. No more pesky invisible zombie problems. thinking about it a good place to put one of the Tent City's would be where the roadwork is laid out for smaller town just the building aren't in place so the little tents would line the roads. Cant wait to see them. Don't Disappoint me NFC =D . Looking forward to getting my hands on an AUG also.

TrilbyAsh    6

+1 Instead of Towns the big clans can now make their own Tent City's to call home for Survivors. No more pesky invisible zombie problems. thinking about it a good place to put one of the Tent City's would be where the roadwork is laid out for smaller town just the building aren't in place so the little tents would line the roads. Cant wait to see them. Don't Disappoint me NFC =D . Looking forward to getting my hands on an AUG also.

Good idea, but could cause some issues if the next patch implements those buildings at some point. I do like the sound of seeing shanty towns cropping up around. A mix of military and civilian tents would make it look pretty damn epic.

HQ400    0

It would be amazing to have tents they would make the RP experience even better :D