Server time: 2017-10-19, 00:08
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Lue

My only dilemma with SA

Lue    25

Fair warning.. this is a post made by Lue.. therefore it is long-winded and full of run on periods..

I finally hopped onto SA after being away from DayZRP for quite a while... I couldn't withstand the withdrawals of living out my hobo fantasy any longer... But I was quickly reminded as to why I find it hard to RP on SA...

Lack of character customization...

Granted the mod was also lacking, but with the donation exchange, I could at least get off on the right foot with a purchased hobo king skin and epic beard... With the standalone im forced to be clean shaven, baby faced, and goofy lookin... I can't take it seriously..

I tried my best to get the ragtag look i wanted, by finding some patchwork pants that look like a bunch of leather squares sewn together and are ridiculous high-waters... paired those with some wellies and winter coat and beanie...

I look rather hobo-ish but I still lack my beard.. and without a beard and gray hair and wrinkles, I just cannot be a proper hobo... If I were to run into someone and actually have to RP, I feel as though it would be garbage due to just not feeling it...

I've sat here for a long while thinking of what I can possibly do to remedy this until beards and more creation options come around and all I can think to do is make a new character...

A new character that is on some pilgrimage, soul-searching, walkabout... a mission to find the legend of the railroad, Willy Pete himself... and to ask him the question of the meaning of life and get the truth on his purpose in life...

Instead of playing as Willy, I would just be a "believer"... a "fanatic" that is on a holy-grail scale of a quest...

Im still brainstorming, but frankly I just feel rather limited when it comes to SA right now... I believe that overall, it's mechanics will bring the most to the table for RPing.. but character creation is one of the most important things for me... SA makes me feel like everyones a bunch of escaped clones that are trying to make their own fashion statements to define who they are lol...

Thats just me... Anyone else having issues getting into character in SA?

SatansNightOut    105

I can totally see where you're coming from, in a sense.

Sadly, I can't share your same lack of enthusiasm. I absolutely adore the customization available and the different looks you can attain, and there's only more to be added in the next couple of years.

I think I speak for many people when I say I hope you can find a means of inspiration... I've only had the opportunity to RP with you once, and briefly... I hope I can get that opportunity again. :)

Dougie    23

I had trouble really enjoying Standalone at first and I couldn't really find a look that felt right. The same old faces do get tiring I have to admit it, but hopefully it's something that will be expanded on soon. I'm still trying to get into Standalone but I think I'm just gonna wait a little for some more customization before I really go all out.

Guest Phalix   
Guest Phalix

They're slowly but surely adding more customizations. Hopefully we can have a whole Sims style customization, or at least 50+ faces or so to choose from. But only time will tell, sadly.

Lue    25

Its not even the clothes that bother me... Frankly I love all the options, but I wish you could at least pic from a few sets of the basic ones you can find and start with a "look" if that makes any sense... I don't expect to be able to pick from any and all clothing types at the character screen, but I think you should be able to choose from a few different types besides a t-shirt and jeans... It takes longer to find a suitable look than to find supplies...

I feel like im gonna run into someone while wearing a lime green hardhat in my underwear and wellies on accident and be like "uhhh... yep..."

The faces also bug me, seeing as how theres so few to choose from right now... They need at least a few bearded faces, old people faces, and some masks and hats to choose from...

Im mostly just ranting about all of this because its really the only thing hindering me from jumping back into DayZRP fully... Im being cockblocked by SA right now lol... I have faith more will be added, obviously.. I just wish there was a decent alternative while waiting.. and thats what im racking my head trying to think of.

I know what you mean, my favorite character is Ben Tucker and the lack of older faces and beards is keeping me from portraying him, and it makes me sad.

Gina    26

Also you guys need to remember that (yeah prepare for it!) its still in Alpha and theres more important things to do atm than add new faces. It was already said in some news from Rocket back in a days that there will be more to choose and more options to customize your character. Hopefully though they will add more faces randomly while doing other updates as I am sure that there is team behind who is working with those :)

Reacher    2

First person.

Just don't look at your character until more customizing options are available.

Mikachu    26

They are slowly adding more and more faces and beards are something in the pipeline but for now, yes - it is annoying to see everyone with the same face :(

Oldman    22

I feel yah, SDS still has to do with placeholder Somalians.

Lue    25

First person.

Just don't look at your character until more customizing options are available.

This doesn't really solve the problem, as my concern is how other people SEE me... not really how I see myself... If I can't look the part of a old man hobo to others, how can I possibly portray it in a believable fashion? It just seems silly to me... imagine some baby faced survivor talking to you in the voice of Willy Pete and telling you he is such... Nooooope... not gonna work for me or others.

Also you guys need to remember that (yeah prepare for it!) its still in Alpha and theres more important things to do atm than add new faces. It was already said in some news from Rocket back in a days that there will be more to choose and more options to customize your character. Hopefully though they will add more faces randomly while doing other updates as I am sure that there is team behind who is working with those :)

Oh, trust me... I understand this fully. I don't even expect them to release new facial/body types anytime soon.. Im just simply saying that until they do, my RP is absolutely stunted as a result.. Not saying that standalone sucks or that its absolutely impossible to RP on it or that we shouldnt... Just for me, personally, it makes it nearly impossible to do so because I cannot portray any of my characters the way that I want to in the current state of the game.. Therefore I'm probably not going to attempt to.

Again.. I feel that all the mechanics around survival are good in SA and make me feel like im really trying to survive and ultimately thats huge for in depth RP in the long run... but unless im able to feel like im REALLY in character, theres no point in trying to RP on standalone for me yet...

I will either have to bite the bullet and make a different character until I can bring back my originals with future updates that enable me to do so... or just simply wait and not play until the game is finished.

I like the game as a whole but Im just saddened by the current lack of facial features... I can't take RP seriously if everyone I meet looks exactly the same other than some different clothing.. I was mostly just curious how other people were handling this and if I am just crazy and the only one having this mental roadblock with standalone.

Lue    25

The only problem I have with SA is the random leg breaks.

Funny... Just after I read this I logged in and randomly died on top of a castle to a leg break while looting... hmmmmmmmmmmm...

I think it would be cool if we started clean shaven and as time progressed you started growing a beard. Those that truly could survive would have gloriously epic beards.

Guest PervasivePeach   
Guest PervasivePeach

Too me its sort of cool to have more cusomization but not required really.

But i do think it can be annoying when im playing with friends and we want to look all bad ass but all we have are bright blue backpacks and orange raincoats with a gasmask and hat. Just looks silly at times

I think it would be cool if we started clean shaven and as time progressed you started growing a beard. Those that truly could survive would have gloriously epic beards.

abd81b96fe0e04dc153dab1e8f45ecb5.jpg

Butcher    0

@Lue you can always roleplay the same character. However, pretend it's the younger version of it. Eventually, whenever the devs add more stuff, you can always grow older.

Lue    25

Have you considered maybe playing a younger version of the Hobo King?

I've considered it, but i'm not a fan of it after thinking how it would work.. As soon as the game introduced a way to have old characters, I would have to randomly somehow become 60+ years older in the matter of an overnight update and it just would not jive with me.

I would rather just wait until there is old-people skins for standalone... I could even live without the beard.. or have beards be a "progression" type of thing that happens over time... but if I cannot be a old man and produce a nice white beard of power, there is no point in trying to be Willy Pete...

The voice... the attitude... the life experiences... all of this involves being an old man and portraying him as anything other than that, would feel blasphemous to me and just plain odd... especially since, as I've said, the rapid aging later on as the game updates itself, would not fit along with everyone else's time scale....

/shrug

I think just playing as an entirely different hobo who's on a quest to find Willy Pete is the answer for now... Until SA introduces older models for players, Willy will be MIA or on his own spiritual quest regarding the merman and megalodon again.. perhaps a fishing trip to try and catch/defeat the megalodon once more... Once the models are introduced to SA, he will make a fresh appearance...

I'm not sure if anyone has found the notes I've left along the railroad tracks yet, but I find it quite enjoyable to write a daily journal through the eyes of this fanatic hobo looking for Willy... he writes very prophetic pages and leaves them for survivors to find... whether anyone finds them or not, its still fun.

I just figured perhaps the Xenonians captured him shaved his beard so he must find and kill a megaladon and eat its heart to regain his once great beard.

Lue    25

I just figured perhaps the Xenonians captured him shaved his beard so he must find and kill a megaladon and eat its heart to regain his once great beard.

LMAO... Willy Pete had a bad trip past dimension 7 and crash landed his shuttle after being shot down by Xenonians.. While being a certified shuttle commander who is sought after by NASA, itself... He was no match for the ace pilot Zeltrad the Gaping-Maw... When the Xenonians discovered that Willy Pete had not perished in the crash, they sprung into action and siezed his unconscious body before he could wake... throwing him into a jelly filled stasis pod, they then jettisoned him into the cavernous orifice of Belle of Belfast Hole... the black hole at the center of D-7.... It was there that the history eraser button was triggered and Willy emerged through the other side as a baby-faced, yet incredibly handsome man surrounded by lezbots from the far flung reaches of Fritolayazoid Cluster and the south side of the Nabisco Nebula where cream cakes come from....

BOWLDAWG    0

Thing is, if we have something like Matt's head clipping through most of the hats, and his nose clipping through half of the masks (no offense, Matt), I can't imagine how long it'll be until we have functional beards :(

That said, I'd love to see it.