Server time (UTC): 2020-11-30, 03:53 BLACK FRIDAY SALE
Sign in to follow this  
Max Simons

Compact Gaming PC Help & Suggestions

im looking to buy/Build a decent gaming pc that is pretty small and compact. I need a small design because i will need to take it between my two parents houses weekly.

So any suggestions, builds or even PC would be highly appreciated as i need good suggestions.

(Im a student who doesn't work either so pricing needs to be moderate)

Honestly Max, I am in the same situation as you (two parents) and I just use a laptop. I didn't spend much on it. But if you are going higher than a few hundred dollars, my friend just got a really nice Razer for about 2k if you like things to be all fancy on the outside and inside.

I can't help you build a PC but if you decide to buy a laptop instead I'd recommend getting a lenovo y510p. I got mine on newegg for around $1000. Currently it's $1,086 on newegg but with cyber monday coming up you can expect it to be on sale.

Specs are: 8GB Memory 1TB + 8GB SSHD HDD Dual NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M SLI 2GB Intel Core i7 4700MQ. It run's game's pretty nicely and i get a solid 50 frames in non-cities and around 20-30 in cities.

Keep in mind there's different versions of the y510p laptop such as 4g ram with a GT 745m and i5.. If you do plan to get this laptop i do strongly suggest getting a coolpad because this laptop get's EXTREMELY hot when gaming. Beside's that it's a pretty good laptop for me. Portable and strong.

-Edit- A cooling pad should be no more then $20, I got mine on ebay for around $6 i believe and it works extremely well.

Noooo max. I'd help but I don't want to.

Fgt ;) Give me some help m9

Honestly Max, I am in the same situation as you (two parents) and I just use a laptop. I didn't spend much on it. But if you are going higher than a few hundred dollars, my friend just got a really nice Razer for about 2k if you like things to be all fancy on the outside and inside.

Yeah I got my Toshiba laptop at the moment (P870 2012 or 2013 model I believe) but with my studies getting a lot more serious and 75% of my courses being on my computer I cant afford a computer break down like I see with my current one ever month or two. My idea was getting one to transport between the two houses and still holding on to the laptop or keeping one at my mums house and taking the laptop to my dads and school. It's a hard decision and I just feel like a desktop will do the job better and is way more reliable.

For a compact case with carry handles I would go with the Bitfenix Prodigy M

[video=youtube]

Basically once you have got the case it is best for you make sure you look up and around for build guides with that case.

Get a laptop. For about 700-800 euros you have a laptop with i7 8gb RAM and a GT 840m (2gb) videocard. 15 inch screen perfect for travelling. You can play basically all games from 2014 on high flawlessly.

I agree with Misty on this one. A Laptop seems like a fast solution to your problem, plus you can nowadays get decent ones for a relatively cheaper price.

I currently have a laptop, Laptops in Australia are way to overpriced and i feel like a desktop will be more reliable and more powerful for the price. (Doing demanding subjects and guess some gaming.)

[video=youtube]

Basically once you have got the case it is best for you make sure you look up and around for build guides with that case.

I recently updated my rig with this case and it works like a charm, it's pretty heavy but is incredibly compact compared to a normal sized rig.

A laptop wouldn't be the worst option but if the prices in Australia are extortionate then look to a desktop like this.

[video=youtube]

I recently updated my rig with this case and it works like a charm, it's pretty heavy but is incredibly compact compared to a normal sized rig.

A laptop wouldn't be the worst option but if the prices in Australia are extortionate then look to a desktop like this.

From experience living in Australia laptops are very expensive compared to a custom build PC. The best place to get parts in NSW or QLD would be Umarts sydney store http://www.umart.com.au/umart1/pro/index.phtml?bid=11. Nearly every PC component sells at least $20 under RRP seeing that they are basically a wholesale retailer. I got my Asus GTX 680 DirectCU II top there for $610 when it was selling for $650 everywhere else. They also offer Australia only postage, but they can also serve at the store if you order 24 hours before hand or else you will have to pay a $10 premium.

Sydney Umart Store Case: http://www.umart.com.au/umart1/pro/Products-details.phtml?id=10&id2=221&bid=11&sid=128396

[video=youtube]

This one won me over when i first saw it, i think i will be trying to work with this one when i build this PC.

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/GwKP99 This is a quick build i mucked around with (Ive never made one before so all suggestions are very big help!)

This one won me over when i first saw it, i think i will be trying to work with this one when i build this PC.

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/GwKP99 This is a quick build i mucked around with (Ive never made one before so all suggestions are very big help!)

I just made a few little adjustments to your build that will hopefully be a little more gaming centric. Are you looking to do anything else other than game on this machine?

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/7wFWyc

This set up allows for some upgrade options as well as being pretty beast right now. The combination of a i5 4690k with a GTX770 is a commonly effective set up and it's one I'd highly recommend. If you have any extra $100 I would go for the 970 because that is a BEAST of a card for the price and would offer over 50% more performance.

I just made a few little adjustments to your build that will hopefully be a little more gaming centric. Are you looking to do anything else other than game on this machine?

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/7wFWyc

This set up allows for some upgrade options as well as being pretty beast right now. The combination of a i5 4690k with a GTX770 is a commonly effective set up and it's one I'd highly recommend. If you have any extra $100 I would go for the 970 because that is a BEAST of a card for the price and would offer over 50% more performance.

That combination seems decent, is their any ways to cut down the price a little more? The PSU seems over kill (I have no clue though). It claims it would only use around 440 wats yet 600 seems a bit fair away? Also do I need a wireless adapter to use good old wifi?

That combination seems decent, is their any ways to cut down the price a little more? The PSU seems over kill (I have no clue though). It claims it would only use around 440 wats yet 600 seems a bit fair away? Also do I need a wireless adapter to use good old wifi?

I wouldn't cut down on the PSU. The system might say 417W as an estimate but under load in games it can go above that, especially CPU wise as you'd want to overlock it to get the best out of the system. 600W gives you enough headroom for any extra hard drive additions in the future too. You could go to 550W but you want to keep it 80+ Bronze certified.

You can buy a simple USB WiFi adapter from any computer shop for cheap and they work just as well. Have a look round for those or you could just add the wireless adapter back onto the package.

You could go back to the AMD card if you'd like but being an Nvidia user I'd be more inclined to recommend them especially as an avid user of Shadowplay which is Nvidia only and works like a charm for recording at 1080p 60fps at a high bitrate.

If you wanted to keep the graphics card then you could go with the Intel Pentium G3258 Anniversary Edition processor that costs way less but can be overlocked massively to compete with the i5. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/27qLf7

Here's a video showing it being almost identical in games to an i7.

I wouldn't cut down on the PSU. The system might say 417W as an estimate but under load in games it can go above that, especially CPU wise as you'd want to overlock it to get the best out of the system. 600W gives you enough headroom for any extra hard drive additions in the future too. You could go to 550W but you want to keep it 80+ Bronze certified.

You can buy a simple USB WiFi adapter from any computer shop for cheap and they work just as well. Have a look round for those or you could just add the wireless adapter back onto the package.

You could go back to the AMD card if you'd like but being an Nvidia user I'd be more inclined to recommend them especially as an avid user of Shadowplay which is Nvidia only and works like a charm for recording at 1080p 60fps at a high bitrate.

If you wanted to keep the graphics card then you could go with the Intel Pentium G3258 Anniversary Edition processor that costs way less but can be overlocked massively to compete with the i5. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/27qLf7

Here's a video showing it being almost identical in games to an i7.

I didn't think about he perks of Nvidia and it actually sound a lot more appealing than the other ones.

That CPU Option looks pretty cool though. I will admit that most of thag video went in and out the other ear. So what I gathered is that this cheap as shit cpu when overclocked can compete with something double if not more its price right

Also does the fan need to be changed to the more expensive one with this new CPU

That CPU Option looks pretty cool though. I will admit that most of thag video went in and out the other ear. So what I gathered is that this cheap as shit cpu when overclocked can compete with something double if not more its price right?

Spot on. BUT and that's a big but, the potential of that CPU on a cheaper board is unknown. You could get the 4570 with the stock cooler and an even cheaper motherboard. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/9pnsjX

By getting the cheap Pentium CPU you have to factor in a board that can overlock it well and a cooler. Where as the i5 series run pretty cool and achieve the same performance in games without being overclocked.

That's all the options I can suggest, it's up to you now :P

CPU

Intel Core i5-4690k 3.5ghz Quad-Core processor

CPU Cooler

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard

Asus H81M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

RAM

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

GPU

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card

CASE