Server time (UTC): 2020-11-26, 16:04
Sign in to follow this  
MrDisGood

Danny Murs' Story - Demons In and Out

Entry 0: Backstory

Hi, my name is Danny Murs. I live with my parents and brother, David Murs. I've spent my whole life in the states, hardly leaving the coast. Oh, I also have a sort of... second brother... It has been interesting with him. He likes to be called 'Daniel', at least when he comes out. The doctors say I have a weird defect with my brain, giving me something called a 'multiple personality disorder'. I don't fully know what it means, but it seems to mean I have someone else living in me.

I don't really like Daniel. He isn't very nice to people, at least not as much as I am. I never really had any friends, Daniel would scare them off or hurt them. At first it didn't take a lot to bring Daniel out, just saying the his name could trigger him. But eventually I learned to control him, and the doctors gave me some nasty pills. After that I almost never saw Daniel. I almost missed him, my thoughts felt empty without him.

After a few years, I was sixteen by this point, we decided to vacation in Chernarus. I had been feeling weird after 'losing' Daniel, seeing all the places we used to go and 'talk'. I liked to go in the middle of nowhere so Daniel couldn't hurt anyone. It calmed him down to be free, he got more... aggressive when I suppressed him for a long time. Even with pills he would slip almost every week. I hoped a change of scenery would change things.

Obviously, once we got there things went wrong. The outbreak happened in full force and we were stuck there. As far as I know our parents are... gone... and I lost my brother. I am trying to find my brother, but this place is so big, and he could be anywhere. I also only have one bottle of pills... it's been a long time I went without pills. And last time I did, Daniel escaped for hours.

I need to find David at any cost.

You might want to read up on dissociative identity disorder before attempting to portray it in game. You've included a few details above that seem contrary to the typical presentation.

Also, depicting insanity or even mental instability in game is generally frowned upon, as it is so frequently used merely as an excuse for the player to get his character to do whatever the hell he wants. If your characterization is perceived as lacking in any way, shape or form, expect a much higher degree of criticism than you would otherwise receive, had you chosen to depict a neurotypical character.

-Snip-

In no way am I trying to portray a specific mental illness. I have basic knowledge of mental illnesses, so I only know a couple facts and the rest is made up. Now, I'm not an idiot. I will not be portraying this insensitively, I know the difference between blurring the lines and being insensitive.

As well, this isn't an 'excuse' for me to do w/e I want. My character only has one other persona and it has a very defined characteristic. It is there so I have a constant IC goal to work towards and to make things interesting.

Edit: After reading on some of the facts, I would argue this is mostly within the lines of dissociation identity disorder. It involves one or more personalities that have different characteristics than the person's 'main' self. Also, this can lead to anomalies in behavior and mood, along with other side effects.

Yup, mostly within the lines, and where it goes out is within the believable bounds of personal variation.

For the record, I wasn't accusing you of anything, just bringing up the point that if you're not careful, this could go very wrong, very quick. Good luck with this.

'S all good. I poked my nose into your thread ;)

Sign in to follow this