Server time (UTC): 2021-10-21 05:20

Favourite movies

Sky

• MVP

I see myself as a bit of a movie buff; I love the cinema and I'm always interested in discussing movies and hearing what other people enjoy watching, so I thought I'd make a thread for it.

My favourite two, as I can't really separate them (I could sing praises to both for hours, so I'll try and keep it short):

The Shawshank Redemption - Pretty much the best example of story telling at its absolute finest. I find it hard to imagine that anyone could watch Shawshank and not be affected by how incredibly touching, moving and powerful this movie is. The story, the characters, the score (probably my favourite Thomas Newman score)... its the closest to cinematic perfection that I've ever seen.

If there was one movie that everyone had to see before the died, it would be this.

American Beauty - How all of the character arch's in American Beauty were covered so well in a movie with little over 2 hours in runtime is still astounding to me. You're presented with a host of very interesting, yet different characters, all with their own flaws and internal struggles, and you get to see them all develop as you follow the lead Character, Lester Burnham, as he reinvigorates his life.

The story that weaves all of this together is simply brilliant. Its clever and provides genuinely hilarious moments at times. Combined with Sam Mendes's brilliant direction and another beautiful score by Thomas Newman, you're left with an emotionally charged film that reminds us of the beauty of life, and how easy it is to take it for granted.

• Legend

I love thrillers (At least I think they're called thrillers)

Zodiac

It's a movie about a serial killer that plays mind tricks on the police. Some really good mind tricks as well, totally worth the watch. And the actors are superb as well (Robert Downey Jr. and others)

Zodiac Trailer:

I also like sci-fi, so...

Moon

This movie is about a man that works on the moon. He works at a moon-refinery where he harvests moondust, all alone on the moon. He's supposed to be stationed there for 5 years ish, but then weird things start to happen...

Also the soundtrack for this movie is amazing.

Moon Trailer:

All aboard on the bandwagon!

28 Days Later - A man named Jim wakes up deserted in London, only to find that a disease has spread throughout the island. He teams up with another rag-tag group of survivors, and find out there are some soldiers fortifying themselves in a house. But Jim finds out this was all a plan to attract women to rape, and fights his way out. (*Bonus points for being about "zombies"*)

1984 - In a hopeless, dystopian future (that is getting more and more similar to our own modern world), Winston Smith attempts to rebel against the government by having an affair with a woman named Julia, which is deemed illegal by Big Brother. He is captured and brought to Room 101, where his greatest fear is made into their greatest weapon.

Four Lions - A very hilarious comedy on a controversial topic, where a group of four extremist Muslims decide to take the Jihad route, but they bumble about with no real plan, and end up killing themselves more than other people. In the end you will find that fundamentalism is not the same as extremism. (P.S. I'm a Muslim myself, and I didn't feel offended :P. Rather, I felt that this shone light on how a terrorist does not guarantee they're being the best Muslims, and they might bend the rules now and then. In hilarious ways.)

• MVP

Ah yes, Zodiac was really good. I remember first seeing Moon due to someone's recommendation. Had no idea what it was about, but I was blown away with how good it was. It pretty quickly became one of my favourite sci-fi movies. Awesome performance by Sam Rockwell, considering he's just about the only actor in the movie, and Kevin Spacey's voice was pretty much perfect for the little robot.

Can't say I've seen 1984 or Four Lions, but 28 Days Later was quite good. It came out in a period where quality zombie movies were few and far between, so it was quite refreshing to see.

• Emerald

Land of the Dead

The living dead have taken over the world, and the last humans live in a walled city to protect themselves as they come to grips with the situation. But after a raid on a small city in search of food and medical supplies, one zombie developes the ability to communicate with the others, which would be the end of mankind, and leads the army of dead towards the city.

The Warriors

In a future, dystopian New York City, turf gangs and cops rule the streets. When the leader of the biggest gang tries to bring all gangs together against the cops he gets killed and the gang The Warriors are framed for his murder and are hunted by all gangs as they tries to get back to their home turf Coney Island.

• Emerald

Oh my god... Land of the dead *facepalms* No offence, but that movie just isn't what I connect with zombies. I mean they're shooting guns!

what would you rather have zombies that runs faster than a car?

Oh my god... Land of the dead *facepalms* No offence, but that movie just isn't what I connect with zombies. I mean they're shooting guns!

This tbh ^^ Huge fan of zombie films, like Dawn of the dead, 28 Days Later, but this film wasn't very good :(

I enjoy both.

The slow walking zombies (The Walking Dead, Resident Evil 1, Night of the living dead) are classic. Fun to have in games and such.

But the fast dombies (ala DayZ, 28 Dayz Later, Dawn of the Dead) scares the shit out of me. Therefore, they're awesome ^^

• MVP

^ Moon ís a fantastic movie.

The best thing about it is the music by Clint Mansell.

2001: A Space Odyssey

The Hurt Locker

Attack the Block

The Hurt Locker never really did it for me. Generally my views on movies are fairly similar to their critical acclaim, but The Hurt Locker is one of the exceptions. I felt that a lot of its Oscar hype was due to the whole Catherine Bigalow/James Cameron thing, and that Inglorious Basterds deserved the Best Picture win that year.

It has been a while though, maybe I should rewatch it.

Land of the Dead was very so-so for me. It wasn't scary, it wasn't fast paced, the cast was average, so too the plot... I just found it hard to keep interested as their wasn't much there that appealed to me.

As for different types of zombies, there are advantages to both, but I find the fast ones to be the more exciting of the two. For instance, The Walking Dead, a lot of my interest in the show is the character relationships and the drama, which is complimented by a post apocalyptic setting. As opposed to something like 28 Days Later, where the thrill and the tension of the high paced chases are the main draw for me.

• Emerald

This tbh ^^ Huge fan of zombie films, like Dawn of the dead, 28 Days Later, but this film wasn't very good :(

Damn i knew i had forgott one movie, dawn of the dead is also one on my list.

• 2 years later...
  • Emerald

The Big Lebowski is once of the best movies I've seen. Every moment of that movies is extremely quotable and all the characters are endearing in their own quirky way. I laughed from the beginning to the end of the movie, the cast is perfect with some of the greatest cinematography of the 90's. The Coen brothers funniest film in my opinion.

[video=youtube]

Hell yeah! Movie thread!

Here are my favorites;

Oldboy

[video=youtube]

This is my all time favorite film. This trailer is fan made, but I think it's very well done. Don't watch the American version, it's a load of shit.

Drive

[video=youtube]

Fantastic soundtrack, great casting, and a simple but amazing story. The trailer shows a bit much, but it's fantastic.

No Country For Old Men

[video=youtube]

The acting by Javier Bardem is what makes this movie, everything is pretty much summed up in the trailer, but god damn can this man play a villain.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind- An amazing film about a guy who's ex under goes a process which makes her forget about him. He decides to do the same thing but as he is reliving his memories he realises that he still loves her and doesn't want to forget her. By far my favorite Jim Carrey film and his best performance to date.

Mr Nobody- Quite a confusing film about an old man called Mr Nobody who tells his life story except there's a twist. It's basically about the butterfly effect and how different choices led to different lives he could of lived, but he doesn't tell us which one really happened. That's the best I can explain it. It also features an amazing soundtrack.

Psycho- I don't think this needs explaining. A classic with amazing cinematography.

There are many more so I'll just list a few: Alien/Aliens, The Thing, Stand By Me, The Iron Giant, Titan A.E. and Saving Private Ryan.

• Sapphire

Not my #1 but def top 10 

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSeFaApcTcohttp://

• Sapphire

lZ1UVPiSCDpC0.gif

Will always be my favorite triliogy

• Sapphire

Inception. Titanic. 127 hours.