Server time: 2017-08-18, 09:04

Sign in to follow this  
Tamaster92

PSA - Loot Respawn and persistence in DayZ Standalone [LESS RELEVANT NOW]

Tamaster92    14

With the new loot changes in 0.52 this guide is now much less relevant. It still helps a little but is no longer needed. Therefore please refrain from mass loot cycling anymore.

WARNING THIS EXPLANATION WILL REMOVE ANY MAGIC FROM THE LOOT SYSTEM AND WILL EXPLAIN EXACTLY HOW IT CURRENTLY FUNCTIONS

Why is it so hard to find gear on Standalone?

Due to persistence the way loot respawns has completely changed and people will need to understand better how it works. Thanks to some lovely people I have a bit more technical knowledge of this system so shall explain.

On the very first server start the game populates the map with a certain amount of lootable items. This item cap is a hard cap and cannot be exceeded by the natural spawned loot. This original loot is then picked up or ignored by the players and the respawn system begins.

It's pretty simple to be honest - once a player has taken a piece of loot then soon after another random loot item will spawn somewhere within a 1km radius of the item's location.

For example -

If I take a backpack from Berezino Apartments then shortly after another random item will spawn anywhere within a 1km circle from where you picked it up.

Due to this the junk items (like books etc) are left by players and so don't spawn new loot from being taken. Then you end up with towns full of nothing but junk!

How to fix this?

Again, it's pretty simple! Just take any items you come across and carry them with you/destroy them. Everytime you pick up a item and carry it or destroy it another new item will spawn on the server! You could pickup a rotton kiwi and make a AK74 spawn! Think of the possibilities!

So please - next time you play on Standalone, take anything you can to help make new gear spawn.

Tamaster92    14

Great to read this! Basically, pick up litter the server makes? :P

Exactly :)

Dax    116

No worries with loot here but thanks for clearing it up Tam :D

9085eed3c2.jpg

Tamaster92    14

No worries with loot here but thanks for clearing it up Tam :D

9085eed3c2.jpg

That's the point though Dax! All that stuff is stopping new loot spawning onto the server :D

How are (or how can) items destroyed?

Leave them in fires over restart, throw them in debug etc

Guest GreenGod   
Guest GreenGod

-Snip-

Hellsome    0

If we all work together we can make persistence work better. Every time you find loot somewhere that is useless and you would normally just pass by, make sure you drag the item from the vicinity off to the left of you screen 2 times. You will notice that this will make the item move on the ground. This will in turn make new items spawn around the map. (I think), dont take my word for it because I dont have any proof.

Guest Otmel Strangler   
Guest Otmel Strangler

I'm gonna burn lots and lots of books.

Chriss    1

So it is not categorized into weapons, bags, food f.e.?

So one picked item can respawn as everything?

In 1km radius you can pick up stuff again and again till they are the things you need? 0o

Tamaster92    14

So it is not categorized into weapons, bags, food f.e.?

So one picked item can respawn as everything?

In 1km radius you can pick up stuff again and again till they are the things you need? 0o

Yes its completely random, picking up a book could spawn a backpack or a bandage or whatever

Unknown Entity    126

Isn't this loot cycling, and that is forbidden ? :P

I hope it kind of gets fixed though. I hardly see myself emptying huge cities. What about the airfield than ? Throw all the crap at the tents, loot appears in barracks ?

Grihm    16

Make rags of old clothes and use paper to write notes and start fires etc.

Time to be creative.

CyrosBlaze    0

This makes even more sense, ''Make rags of old clothes and use paper to write notes and start fires etc.

Time to be creative.''

In this way,its also pretty Lorefriendly (the thing with respawning,imagine in real :) )

Septimus    23

This does make sense, I've found tons of things in a small city but little to nothing in such a large city, such as Chernogorsk.

Hellsome    0

I can see this as being lore friendly. When you find a bunch of loot in a shack you are going to sort through it, moving anything you don't need to one pile and taking what you need. This just happens to continue the respawn cycle as well.